Cosplaying at WDW

ddbowdoin

I think some of the folks here are confused as to what cosplay actually is... it is more than just an homage to a character you enjoy, it's FULL ON impersonation. The images people are posting as examples are weak, like a girl wearing a green dress and a leather hat. You'd have to really know a show to go, oh yeah that Fineas.

This is cosplay, I go to NYC comic con and that's a whole different world. I think people are getting their wires crossed.

DSCN3571-0011.jpg
Cosplay-NY-statue.jpg

thomas998

Most of the Cosplay goes for the halloween parties.

Its widely accepted at Star Wars Weekends where there are many a Slave Leia walking around. (Please have your friends be brutally honest when trying on the costume)

That being said....

If you are going around the parks dressed as a Disney Character (and you're over five-years-old) Disney has the right to refuse admission or can ask you to leave.

Be smart about it and leave it for the Halloween parties.

Actually I think the age limit is 10 maybe 12... I know it isn't 5... maybe someone more familiar with the policies can chime in... What is the age at which you are no longer allowed to dress like a princess?

thomas998

Unless you have it in writing, the second it becomes an issue in a park, the manager will deny any knowledge of approving or okaying such an action.

Fair or unfair, that's the reality of the climate at WDW right now.

That's the way it is anywhere you work. Never do anything based on a verbal OK by someone, get it in writing to cover your backside, because if it is your word and the managers word who do you think they will believe.

Californian Elitist

I think some of the folks here are confused as to what cosplay actually is... it is more than just an homage to a character you enjoy, it's FULL ON impersonation. The images people are posting as examples are weak, like a girl wearing a green dress and a leather hat. You'd have to really know a show to go, oh yeah that Fineas.

This is cosplay, I go to NYC comic con and that's a whole different world. I think people are getting their wires crossed.

DSCN3571-0011.jpg
Cosplay-NY-statue.jpg

The pictures posted earlier were examples of "bounding", not cosplay, which is what people suggested the OP do instead.

lazyboy97o

Cosplay-NY-statue.jpg
I think you're the only one still confused. Those other images were illustrating Disney Bounding, which is allowed, and how it differs.

The Empress Lilly

DSCN3571-0011.jpg
Cosplay-NY-statue.jpg
The pictures posted earlier were not confused. Those other images were illustrating Disney Bounding, not cosplay, which is allowed, which is what people suggested the OP do instead.

PhotoDave219

Actually I think the age limit is 10 maybe 12... I know it isn't 5... maybe someone more familiar with the policies can chime in... What is the age at which you are no longer allowed to dress like a princess?

Five years was my own guideline. My point being is that this is not worth risking your employment for.

slappy magoo

DSCN3571-0011.jpg
Cosplay-NY-statue.jpg
You see, I'd define that as "people in costume posing for pictures." For it to be cosplay, there needs to be some element of PLAY. The second picture, the guy at least seems to be trying to be in character for his picture. But when I see people in costumes, smiling, conversing, eating a corn dog or doing anything else that's not pertinent to the character they're dressed up as in their homage, they're not really playing, so it's not cosplay.

LucyK

That is because Disneybounding isn't Cosplay. When you Disneybound you're not supposed to BE the character, you're supposed to be inspired by a particular character and dress with everyday clothes that are comfy (or dressy, there is a lot of prom/wedding inspired Disneybound outfits) but similar to what the character looks like. Case in point, the girl in the green dress you pointed out is disneybounding as Perry and not Cosplaying as Perry (in that case she would be in a costume, and she's not).

Phineas, Ferb and Agent P!

ElizabethDisneyBounding.jpg
I'd be tempted to stop you guys and congratulate you on a serious case of awesomeness! Loved it!

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

I wouldn't count this as cosplay, but I attempted to dress in 1950's-1960's inspired clothing during my trip to Disneyland back in the summer: I did an ehhhh job... I could've done better.
View attachment 45359

It was pretty fun. We didn't go crazy with it, but we did get complements.
I love that and I applaud the effort!

Very reminiscent of the DL audience that looked so great in the first decades. As did the MK's for its first.
I despise that Disney parks, especially WDW, have become some sort of carnival for which people dress down instead of up. (And I don't mean cosplay / Disneybounding by that)

I wish WDW's punishing climate was a bit more conducive to elegant clothing.

Last edited:

Marc Gil

I love that and I applaud the effort!

Very reminiscent of DL's audience, that looked so great in the first decades, as did the MK's for its first.
I despise that Disney parks, especially WDW, have become some sort of carnival for which people dress down instead of up. (I don't mean cosplay / Dbounding)

I wish WDW's punishing climate was a bit more conducive to elegant clothing.
Thanks!
The weather in Anaheim was simply amazing during the summer opposed to hot/humid Orlando, which feels like a sauna during the summer months.

I totally agree with everything you're saying about guest attire. It's sort of disgraceful now. People used to dress in their Sunday best to visit Disneyland.

71jason

is bounding unique to Disney... I've NEVER heard of this

I'm pretty certain it started as a uniquely Disney phenomenon, and a grassroots one at that. I first really noticed it last April, met Anastasia and Drusilla bounders at DLR. It's strange how fan ideas turn into real things at Disney--not just this, I'm thinking Dapper Day and Gay Days, too, both of which are huge but have never been formally sanctioned/promoted by the company AFAIK.

ddbowdoin

I'm pretty certain it started as a uniquely Disney phenomenon, and a grassroots one at that. I first really noticed it last April, met Anastasia and Drusilla bounders at DLR. It's strange how fan ideas turn into real things at Disney--not just this, I'm thinking Dapper Day and Gay Days, too, both of which are huge but have never been formally sanctioned/promoted by the company AFAIK.

It has to be... quick google searches show nothing. I think it's pretty weak if you ask me, perhaps "bounding" just came to be from a soft version of cosplay.

71jason

It has to be... quick google searches show nothing. I think it's pretty weak if you ask me, perhaps "bounding" just came to be from a soft version of cosplay.

From what I recall--back when I used to spend more time on The Boards That Must Not Be Named--"Disney bound" comes from "I'm BOUND for Disney." People selecting outfits they would wear in the park that were (1) more comfortable than a traditional costumes and (2) differentiated enough to not get them kicked out.

I've seen a couple attempts at Potter bounding--I'd argue there are entire shops in WWoHP dedicated to it--and Marvel hero bounding, but can't think of too many other properties that would support this. It seems primarily a Disney thing.

ETA: From Mouse ears in 1955 to glass slipper-themed sneakers in 2014, I think there have always been elements of this. But again, as a regular theme park goer didn't notice it quite so organized until last year.

Animaniac93-98

I've seen a couple attempts at Potter bounding--I'd argue there are entire shops in WWoHP dedicated to it--

UNI sells pretty much any type of Potter clothing you can think of and even encourages adults to dress in their favourite house robes, scarves, hats, sweaters and what not when they're there. I think they're the only theme park to do this for adults. It's especially strange when you realize even their Halloween parties don't let you dress up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom