Cosplaying at WDW

71jason

Yeah, Disneybounding is not only allowed, but encouraged with the whole #disneyside promo.

Cosplay is a no no, outside of the parties.

I know this is the rule, but I still think it's silly. Cosplay/Bounding more of a sliding scale than two distinct things.

lazyboy97o

Even if you discuss your intentions with your bosses, that only really helps you with them. As soon as you enter another manager's park, land, store, restaurant, attraction, hotel, etc. it is now their call, not whomever you spoke with. This is why people can go a whole day before being asked to change/leave. There is no one standard. At best, the other person is lenient towards you and let's you leave or change without incident. At worse it because an issue for you and your boss.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Sounds like a good idea to me. Good thing you are talking to your manager about it.They could help you better from what is ok, and what is not.

Unless you have it in writing, the second it becomes an issue in a park, the manager will deny any knowledge of approving or okaying such an action.

Fair or unfair, that's the reality of the climate at WDW right now.

The Empress Lilly

Cosplaying at WDW is fine - if only you play your cards right!

Last week @George and I went to DAK dressed as crocodiles. We crawled on all fours. We sneaked past the entrance turnstiles by hiding in the bushes. We then each found a pond. George the Flame Tree pond, me across the road at the Tree of Life gardens. From there lunged at peoples ankles. Biting them, dragging them back underwater, fighting over toddlers with panicked parents. Great fun!

Of course stupid Disney had to ruin our fun for us. They spotted us and send four animal handlers to us, and some security guards with rifles and long poles (that emitted electrical shocks - so very ouch!!) We put up a hell of a fight, but eventually they caught us as we were swimming towards Everest. They released us in the crocodile pond in the Kilimanjaro Safari. Where we spend a splendid afternoon terrorizing the local game. Oh, the look on that zebra when we had pulled him under only to reveal it was us!

George

Liker of Things
Cosplaying at WDW is fine - if only you play your cards right!

Last week @George and I went to DAK dressed as crocodiles. We crawled on all fours. We sneaked past the entrance turnstiles by hiding in the bushes. We then each found a pond. George the Flame Tree pond, me across the road at the Tree of Life gardens. From there lunged at peoples ankles. Biting them, dragging them back underwater, fighting over toddlers with panicked parents. Great fun!

Of course stupid Disney had to ruin our fun for us. They spotted us and send four animal handlers to us, and some security guards with rifles and long poles (that emitted electrical shocks - so very ouch!!) We put up a hell of a fight, but eventually they caught us as we were swimming towards Everest. They released us in the crocodile pond in the Kilimanjaro Safari. Where we spend a splendid afternoon terrorizing the local game. Oh, the look on that zebra when we had pulled him under only to reveal it was us!

Great description of our shenanigans as per the usual. I really think that little Davy's dad (remember the 3 year old blond kid?) really sank our boat so to speak. The kid didn't come that close to drowning for god's sake.

WDWYankee15

A picture I posted in another thread last August spawned a similar conversation...
Yes they did. Here is a picture of it. Pay no attention to the "fake" Peter Pan (which I am surprised WDW let her wear all day. I saw her around the park numerous times throughout the day.
dscf6663-jpg.31091

She's a cast member.
Do you know her? She was really into the part but gernerally I have heard that besides MNSSHP that they do not let adults wear things that may be considered costumes and confuse guests. She looked really good as Pan.
I think also she is a obviously a female. I don't think she will confuse guests into thinking she is really Peter Pan.
Yes. She's (obviously) a huge fan of Peter Pan. She works in custodial. She's a little strange, but completely harmless.
As for costumes, with adults the rule is they make you change if they're worried a guest will mistake you for the costumed character. There's no chance anyone will legitimately mistake her for Peter. She has a very wide assortment of Peter outfits she wears to the parks. "Disneybounding" is VERY popular these days.
So are CMs allowed to dress in costume or being a CM they should know better? Granted she's female but I know a couple (flatchested) girls who could totally pass for Pan. This brings to mind recently we were in the Mexico shopping area when I noticed an adult female in full Snow White costume. :confused: I didn't realize until she turned around that she was a pretty black lady in the wig and all. I figured well no harm, she can't be mistaken for Snow White. The more I thought about it though, it should matter because no adult costume is a park rule.
Trust me, there's no way anyone is mistaking this lady for Peter. Even in that picture it's obvious she isn't Peter (or pretending to be). She's wearing a yellow t-shirt and boat shoes you can buy for $8 at Forever 21. As I mentioned in another post, there's a huge difference between impersonating a character and Disneybounding.

I disagree that this person could not be confused as Peter Pan, because she is a girl. Most Broadway/stage productions of Peter Pan have a female planning the role, so obviously a female can pull of the boy who won't group up look. Also she has definetly had props to include Pan's hat and a sword (which I was very surprised was allowed at all). I believe most 2-5 year old children would have a hard time not knowing it wasn't Peter Pan. But it seems she was given a pass as a CM that "everyone knew."

The reality is I don't have a huge problem with the whole thing. I do have a problem with trying to enforce rules that exist along an imaginary line that moves and shifts at a given moment.

Further, it would seem that the real measure is not an actual rule, but rather does what you are wearing and doing draw unnecessary attention to yourself. Certainly if someone complains (drawing attention) I would imagine that it would be addressed.

At the end of the day, if I enjoyed being a CM, I would not risk doing something that might be frowned upon at my place of employment.

George

Liker of Things
A picture I posted in another thread last August spawned a similar conversation...

dscf6663-jpg.31091

I disagree that this person could not be confused as Peter Pan, because she is a girl. Most Broadway/stage productions of Peter Pan have a female planning the role, so obviously a female can pull of the boy who won't group up look. Also she has definetly had props to include Pan's hat and a sword (which I was very surprised was allowed at all). I believe most 2-5 year old children would have a hard time not knowing it wasn't Peter Pan. But it seems she was given a pass as a CM that "everyone knew."

The reality is I don't have a huge problem with the whole thing. I do have a problem with trying to enforce rules that exist along an imaginary line that moves and shifts at a given moment.

Further, it would seem that the real measure is not an actual rule, but rather does what you are wearing and doing draw unnecessary attention to yourself. Certainly if someone complains (drawing attention) I would imagine that it would be addressed.

At the end of the day, if I enjoyed being a CM, I would not risk doing something that might be frowned upon at my place of employment.

That might be the bestest fire hydrant costume I have ever seen.

The Empress Lilly

Great description of our shenanigans as per the usual. I really think that little Davy's dad (remember the 3 year old blond kid?) really sank our boat so to speak. The kid didn't come that close to drowning for god's sake.
Yes, people are so protective nowadays. Sheesh.

Will they all run to Guest Services again next week when we whizz their kids around the parks at 60 mph in those remote controlled 500 horse power fake strollers? Mine is almost ready, plain black, of common size and shape, so all we need to do is find stollers of similar size, replace the bags and buttons to ours, and wait for the unsuspecting parents to put their kid in it...

George

Liker of Things
Yes, people are so protective nowadays. Sheesh.

Will they all run to Guest Services again next week when we whizz their kids around the parks at 60 mph in those remote controlled 500 horse power fake strollers? Mine is almost ready, plain black, of common size and shape, so all we need to do is find stollers of similar size, replace the bags and buttons to ours, and wait for the unsuspecting parents to put their kid in it...

Considering their negative reaction when I rigged my stroller to transport a couple of hand cannons, they will almost certainly complain. *sigh*

LucyK

A great insight into what Disneybound truly is:
http://disneybound.tumblr.com/

and to see a full catalog of what she has suggested till today: http://leslieakay.polyvore.com/

The majority of the outfits she puts together are impossible to be mistaken for the real thing, just look at Pocahontas for example. Disneybounding is being inspired by a character, to make others go "uhm, she/he reminds me of _______" and not to pass as one of the characters.

Britt

A great insight into what Disneybound truly is:
http://disneybound.tumblr.com/

and to see a full catalog of what she has suggested till today: http://leslieakay.polyvore.com/

The majority of the outfits she puts together are impossible to be mistaken for the real thing, just look at Pocahontas for example. Disneybounding is being inspired by a character, to make others go "uhm, she/he reminds me of _______" and not to pass as one of the characters.
Yes!!! These are amazing!

I'm not really a fan of cosplay, but love this kind of "inspired by:" type outfits. Super cute! Thanks for sharing!

Figments Friend

-

Yeah, i would suggest what others have already touched on - Save it for the annual Halloween Parties.
You will feel more relaxed as most other Guests will also be in costume, which makes it all the more fun.
It is not worth risking your job over.

You have to know your limits, and pull back accordingly even during that season however.
Common sense is the main thought process you need to keep in mind.

I once attended a Halloween Party at MK a few years ago with a couple of friends, one of whom was dressed up as a VERY convincing Indiana Jones. Blue eyes and everything...his costume was authentic in every way imaginable...even a piece of rope coiled up on his belt loop that looked like a convincing *whip*.
My jaw was agape when we met up...he had the right face and build to resemble a young Harrison Ford.

We were walking through the Hub, just about to enter Tomorrowland, when my friend *Indy* was stopped by a couple of girls who obviously thought he was a actual meet & greet *real* character and wanted photos with him.

We laughed about it a little after they moved on, but then we quickly realized that if we were not already politely aware of our limits, and respected those limits, he could have probably stood there all night pretending to be Indy.
He absolutely looked the part.

The ironic part - My friend was a ex-CM...so he was aware of how this sort of thing can sometimes get out of hand.
We kept a low profile the rest of the night, cutting back and forth across property via the less traveled routes to hit the attractions we wanted to visit without having to draw too much attention.
Needless to say, we stayed away from the Jungle Cruise...!
The CMs loved our costumes, some upon seeing him started singing *Da Da-Da-Dum..* ( Raiders Theme ) but we kept running into Guests who thought he was the *real deal*.
It was a good example of why having *too good* a costume can sometimes lead to problems in the Park.

We had a blast, and i will always remember that interesting tour around the Park with Indiana Jones.

I highly recommend the Halloween Parties however for some good fun...just use your head, and don*t do anything questionable or out of line.

:)

Last edited:

copcarguyp71

Come on guys. I thought this was a friendly website. My whole question to begin with was just to start a nice conversation. You guys are both attacking me

After stepping away and evaluating everything...all I meant to do was to counsel a new member and not to appear hostile. That was never my intention. Sorry if you took it that way but this site has seen a ton of new members come in and cause all kinds of bad feelings so I guess my intent was to make sure it did not turn into that. It is a good site with "spirited" discussions. Join in when you like and use the "ignore" function for those that repulse you more than you can stand.

All in all I will say welcome to you and please do not mistake my counsel for an attack. 'Nuff said..,

Matt_Black

If you're going to cosplay, pick a human character from Disney's Gargoyles. Virtually no cast member is going to recognize it (trust me on this) and it's easy- Xanatos is just a guy in a suit with a beard and ponytail, and Elisa has a black t-shirt, jeans, and a red jacket, and people who aren't cosplaying are just as likely to wear an outfit like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom