Cosplaying at WDW

slappy magoo

Few if any guests would mistake you for CMs in that outfit. One of the problems with people trying to cosplay or Disneybound or whatever you want to call it is that sometimes they try to make their outfit as authentic as possible, which makes mistaking them for actual CMs more possible.

The other problem with cosplay/Disneybounding is that the "play/bound" aspect of it can get out of hand. I'm not necessarily talking about girls spilling out of too tight costumes, I'm talking people running around in character, making a scene with little-to-no regard for others around them. You pretend you're a lost boy, and get in a sword fight with a friend dressed as a pirate, you're backing up, backing up, trip over someone in a wheelchair, boom, lawsuit. You dress up like Princess Sofia, your dress has too long a train, someone not paying attention to your shenanigans trips over it, boom, lawsuit. I remember maybe 7 or 8 years back, a guy who made a part-time living playing Santa Claus was asked to leave the MK. He wasn't dressed in full-blown Santa regalia, but his "casual clothes" could easily be misconstrued as "Santa's workshop clothes." Red shirt, suspenders, like he was about to build a train set. People started crowding around him, and it was starting to affect the flow of the park and the safety of other patrons who didn't get that he wasn't "on the clock" and tried to get a picture with Santa (for which he was being accommodating, which made crowds even larger).

KittyBubby, you seem pretty set on doing this, so I'm not going to tell you not to. But don't be naive about it, either. There could very well be consequences to your actions you might not like, but be prepared to accept them anyway. It's great that you talked to your Leaders about it - this means if they explicitly approved of your plans and it turns out they don't know what they're talking about, they'll get in trouble, too.

Cmdr_Crimson

I wouldn't cross disneybounding with cosplay... cosplay is actually going in character.

Disneybounding is like... trying to make Disney in real world clothing/styles. Its like 'inspired by..' vs role playing.

And they are trying to do that in those creepy Show your Disney side ads...
67abaf0604f044b790b152c3dfe7b560.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Few if any guests would mistake you for CMs in that outfit. One of the problems with people trying to cosplay or Disneybound or whatever you want to call it is that sometimes they try to make their outfit as authentic as possible, which makes mistaking them for actual CMs more possible.

The other problem with cosplay/Disneybounding is that the "play/bound" aspect of it can get out of hand. I'm not necessarily talking about girls spilling out of too tight costumes, I'm talking people running around in character, making a scene with little-to-no regard for others around them. You pretend you're a lost boy, and get in a sword fight with a friend dressed as a pirate, you're backing up, backing up, trip over someone in a wheelchair, boom, lawsuit. You dress up like Princess Sofia, your dress has too long a train, someone not paying attention to your shenanigans trips over it, boom, lawsuit. I remember maybe 7 or 8 years back, a guy who made a part-time living playing Santa Claus was asked to leave the MK. He wasn't dressed in full-blown Santa regalia, but his "casual clothes" could easily be misconstrued as "Santa's workshop clothes." Red shirt, suspenders, like he was about to build a train set. People started crowding around him, and it was starting to affect the flow of the park and the safety of other patrons who didn't get that he wasn't "on the clock" and tried to get a picture with Santa (for which he was being accommodating, which made crowds even larger).

KittyBubby, you seem pretty set on doing this, so I'm not going to tell you not to. But don't be naive about it, either. There could very well be consequences to your actions you might not like, but be prepared to accept them anyway. It's great that you talked to your Leaders about it - this means if they explicitly approved of your plans and it turns out they don't know what they're talking about, they'll get in trouble, too.

No your Leaders will deny all knowledge of your plans UNLESS you have them in WRITING and YOU @KittyBubby will be left holding the bag so to speak,

PhotoDave219

I was at hs last star wars weekend and the entire guest population were dressed at characters. I alSo saw Mickey get stuck on something abd fell.

As I said, Star Wars Weekend is acceptable. Cosplay during normal park touring is not.

I encourage people to dress up like the Herb Ryman concept art and take pride in their appearance and be fancy people... but thats just me.

OnyxNine

Sounds like a good idea to me. Good thing you are talking to your manager about it.They could help you better from what is ok, and what is not.
Cosplay may get the attention of lots of people, and it could go from something small to something big. I know of a small group of cosplayers in the area who could be interested. Just think of this, Disney may be fine with a small group but, if things start to go convention style they may go, what the :jawdrop: !??!. Just be ready to organize it, if you want to keep it small. And probably you may need to make the public aware is a cosplay event. Just to avoid the public jumping on you for pics thinking you are a CM :cat:
I was told years ago of an incident in the parks, someone started to show up as Jack Sparrow. Tourists thought it was a cast member and took pictures with him. The problem was, he was charging for the pictures, people complained and he was banned from the park. I don't know if that is fact or not, but i go from what a CM told me.
Hope it helps, it's 3 am, and my brain is running on saving mode.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom