Cosmic Ray's outdoor patio to be enclosed with work starting this week

TP2000

And yet Disneyland, in a much smaller footprint than the MK, with fewer visitors (supposedly), has a multitude of quick-serve and buffeteria options (with real plates and silverware!) which are often just steps from each other.

But yes I went to DL for the first time in August and was blown away by their counter service food and beverage. Here in WDW we were so impressed by the real plates and silverware at Be Our Guest, but that's the norm out at DL haha. The food is much better too, the fried chicken at the Plaza is the best!

We were blown away by Disneylands choice and variety of eating options. Lots of Places to sit and eat properly without having an ADR. And the fact you could have breakfast food at breakfast time without paying through the nose for a character breakfast. Such a shocking change to the MK.

Oh, come on now gang, we all know how hard it must be for Disney to run a half dozen theme parks in the same country the same way. :cool:

Disneyland is different. It's a little, tiny locals only park that only got 16 Million visitors last year. It's a statistical fact that they only let in one dozen people per day who are not from Southern California, lest they ruin someone's vacation with a regular refurbishment or two, and thus Disneyland just operates differently. (I'm assuming some of you out of towners have fake California drivers licenses, and that's how you got in? Or did you climb over the wall on Harbor Blvd.?)

Disneyland and DCA simply have to provide a wide range of modestly priced yet contemporary upscale menus in themed dining locations, with real plates and silverware and live bands playing on outdoor patios in perfect SoCal weather with no thought given to advanced reservations of any kind: The French Market, Café Orleans, Carnation Café, The Plaza Inn, Paradise Gardens, Flo's V8 Café, etc.

Ellis Island Boys perform on Paradise Gardens Dining Patio - Disney California Adventure
7617766830_ebc7bcf4ab_z.jpg

They just have to do that out there, and Orlando doesn't. I mean, have you seen the size of Disneyland's castle? They have to make up for that somehow. ;)

mm52200

Oh, come on now gang, we all know how hard it must be for Disney to run a half dozen theme parks in the same country the same way. :cool:

Disneyland is different. It's a little, tiny locals only park that only got 16 Million visitors last year. It's a statistical fact that they only let in one dozen people per day who are not from Southern California, lest they ruin someone's vacation with a regular refurbishment or two, and thus Disneyland just operates differently. (I'm assuming some of you out of towners have fake California drivers licenses, and that's how you got in? Or did you climb over the wall on Harbor Blvd.?)

Disneyland and DCA simply have to provide a wide range of modestly priced yet contemporary upscale menus in themed dining locations, with real plates and silverware and live bands playing on outdoor patios in perfect SoCal weather with no thought given to advanced reservations of any kind: The French Market, Café Orleans, Carnation Café, The Plaza Inn, Paradise Gardens, Flo's V8 Café, etc.

Ellis Island Boys perform on Paradise Gardens Dining Patio - Disney California Adventure
7617766830_ebc7bcf4ab_z.jpg

They just have to do that out there, and Orlando doesn't. I mean, have you seen the size of Disneyland's castle? They have to make up for that somehow. ;)

I have no idea how they manage to scrape by, that poor little locals park. Who knows, maybe if they're lucky some day they'll get magic bands too. Why would anyone even go there now especially without magic bands ;)

dvitali

Maybe if they just tinted the window they adding they can save money on extending the air conditioning to other side of the wall. I like this because it will cut down the noise from both the inside and the outside. (It also can be a smoking area). If they want to spend those extra dollars built some curve walls parts and put a satellite dish on top it then can be a spaceship.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Complaints complaints complaints good god. Yea it's quiet but I'm pretty sure the people on these forums cannot compare to the number of park guests that are trying to find a place to eat without being in the sun. Thats like 20 people vs. over a hundred...

I'm part of the group that hates sitting outdoors. More eating space inside for this place would be fantasticals! :D I happen to love Cosmic Ray's... It would be pretty awesome if there was a Sonny Eclipse meet & greet here. I love that guy. c:

Rob562

Hmmm... I guess some kind of pivoting/folding windows/wall would be too much to ask for the refurb? We have a ton of restaurants here in Boston that have large front windows that open when the weather is nice and give fresh-air dining while still being indoors, but can be closed in the winter and during very bad weather.

It'd be nice to be able to do that at Cosmic Ray's. Have them open in the spring and fall, closed with the A/C on in the heat of the summer, and variable in the winter depending on the day's weather.

-Rob

rct247

I'm not really sure why this is being done. The capacity is the same and the people who like it are probably equal to the people who don't like it. I enjoyed sitting outside on that side of Cosmic Ray's. The other outdoor seating is along busy paths at ground level. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

NiarrNDisney

You know, for many months of the year, dining outdoors is quite pleasant in FL. In fact, it's one of the things we look forward to most when we visit from up north during the winter. So it's a shame to lose some of that.

This is symptomatic of the larger issue at the MK that they never seem to actually want to address -- capacity. There is a capacity problem and Cosmic Ray's simply can't accommodate the crowds during peaks times. But when you've closed so many dining locations over the years, what do they expect? There are fewer places to eat in 2014 with 17 million visitors than in the 1980s, when there were far fewer guests. Meanwhile, Tomorrowland Terrace still sits empty right across the way, as well as Tortuga Tavern and the multitude of other locations we've discussed on these boards.

More tables and more bodies in an already crowded mess hall environment isn't the answer to a better experience for guests.

I completely agree, closing restaurants in one of busiest parks in the country just seem inane!
Especially when the variety of food within the park is lacking and there beautiful shells of restaurants left over in most of the "lands".

I have always wanted to see TDO to take advantage of these empty spots and use DLR as a model of how they could create delicious, entertaining, fun, and in some cases interactive dining options.
Here's something I have post before that I think would be great for the MK:

Reopen the Adventureland Verandah as the Bengal Barbecue from Disneyland! Yum!!!

Keep Tortuga Tavern open all the time and continue to serve the flavors of the Carribean and Mexican food but close the Golden Oak outpost or at least move it closer to BTMRR to spread out the dining in Frontierland.

Turn the Diamond Horseshoe into Tiana's Southern Buffet and add a Princess and the Frog show at night.

Change the menu at Pinocchio's Village Haus to only Italian food and Friar Nooks to German food while also keeping it open all year long.

Finally have Tomorrowland Terrace open all the time as well but only serve Asian fare!

EDIT: BTW Hasn't TDO heard of a wonderful machine known as a fan?

Last edited:

NiarrNDisney

Hmmm... I guess some kind of pivoting/folding windows/wall would be too much to ask for the refurb? We have a ton of restaurants here in Boston that have large front windows that open when the weather is nice and give fresh-air dining while still being indoors, but can be closed in the winter and during very bad weather.

It'd be nice to be able to do that at Cosmic Ray's. Have them open in the spring and fall, closed with the A/C on in the heat of the summer, and variable in the winter depending on the day's weather.

-Rob

They could even consider glass garage doors like many of the Bars and restaurants here in Colorado have and use for seasonal dining.

tl77

Are they going to remodel the exterior of the building as well with the new windows? The outside of Cosmic Ray's is still vintage 1971

Last edited:

WDWFan_Boston

-Rob

Right on, Rob. Almost every restaurant on the North End has these window panels that open from one side of the restaurant to the other. This would seem to be the best way to do it so that everyone would be happy.

Then again, everybody will never be happy ;) But, I think it's the best idea by far.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom