Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gringrinngghost

A good sign that maybe Florida’s is at the peak and hopefully new cases will begin to start a downward trend (fingers crossed)
Testing is down by 25%. So the cases are higher.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sure, but I think it’s inevitable it’s coming shortly.

Whether it's the Feds or a hospital scheduling boosters, boosters ain't happening for the general pop unless the FDA/CDC sign off on it.

It's like how the U.S. spent billions for vaccines that weren't made or approved... it's a hope, not a done deal.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

Indeed, that's why hospitalizations is the best indicator.

1629777679659.png

yonafunu

you have to check the positivity rate instead of number of cases. Much better metric.

Club34

Kids are going to be effected by the current era in huge ways, just like every generation is effected by the the world events surrounding them. The disruption of schooling, domestic political conflict, imminence of mortality, the fact that other people are viewed as possible vectors of disease, the fact that the very idea of contagious disease is more prevalent that at any time in decades - these will all shape a generation, in the same way that war or terrorism has shaped previous generations. I have no idea exactly HOW these things will shape the generation, but it will.

In the grand scheme of things, the effect of masks on children pales in comparison to these broader forces. Considering the broader effects of this pandemic, focusing on how much masks effect childhood development seems a bit limited.

People are worried about their kids' mental health and mask-wearing vs seeing how so-called adults lead and work together (spoiler alert- the adults can't on either front). Perhaps this is why kids are in trouble moving forward. Just my opinion of course.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Not it's not. The hospitalizations have a strong biais of one week to 2 weeks. The deaths metric has 3 weeks in average from the contamination moment (in Europe this is the average). The only metric to read is the positivity rate which gives you the actual situation of the spread.
No. Not at all.

The positivity rate is determined by a self-selecting population, not a random survey. This skews the positivity rate depending if people are running out to get tested even if they have no symptoms, or if only the ones with symptoms are getting tested.

Remember that we had a leader who famously didn't want people to get tested so as to make the number of cases appear to be minimal?

I would very much like the states or the Feds to have a program of randomized testing that would give us an accurate and immediate snapshot of the state of infection. But we don't have that. We have a positivity rate that is jerked around by sporadic testing and states like Florida deciding to stop reporting results daily... *there* is your delayed statistic.

Yes, hospitalizations lag behind the date that those hospitalized actually got infected, but hospitalization can't be skewed by self-selection (the virus selected them) nor by the two week delay in even reporting deaths.

Club34

Ivermectin showed some benefit in a small Brazilian study early in the pandemic that had several methodological flaws, including a lack of randomization. Subsequent larger follow-up studies that were better conducted did not show any benefit.

They've looked. It doesn't work against COVID-19. That should have been the end of the story, but quacks, charlatans and conspiracy theorist latched onto the initial trial, and took up the narrative that ivermectin is the secret COVID-19 cure that "They" don't want you to know about.

Please share this data on the forum. It sounds definitive!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Do you mean because Israel has a good vax rate? Didn't you get the memo? Don't question the plan. What plan, you say? Didn't you get the memo? Repeat.
Apparently *you* didn't get the memo.

Israel was ahead of everyone else in vaccination... until they weren't. They are only 60% fully vaccinated. They have large numbers of groups, mostly ultra-religious who aren't getting vaccinated.

Five U.S. states have a better vaccination rate than Israel.

After initially doing so well, they relaxed their COVID protocols and then Delta showed up ripping through the unvaccinated population, just like in the U.S. And just like in the U.S., those who refuse vaccination are also the types who refuse other prevention protocols like wearing masks or refraining from large indoor gatherings.

Disney Analyst

Israel was ahead of everyone else in vaccination... until they weren't. They are only 60% fully vaccinated. They have large numbers of groups, mostly ultra-religious who aren't getting vaccinated.

After initially doing so well, they relaxed their COVID protocols and then Delta showed up ripping through the unvaccinated population, just like in the U.S. And just like in the U.S., those who refuse vaccination are also the types who refuse other prevention protocols like wearing masks or refraining from large indoor gatherings.

Yes. There are other countries to look at now to see how they are faring.

Lilofan

People are worried about their kids' mental health and mask-wearing vs seeing how so-called adults lead and work together (spoiler alert- the adults can't on either front). Perhaps this is why kids are in trouble moving forward. Just my opinion of course.
There was a school board meeting in Lake County FL, not far from WDW and masks came up for discussion. A number of parents present were split between the anti-mask my freedom my choice for my kids and other parents whose kids wearing masks going to school with not all students wearing masks and the parents were scared . So far 368 students and over 100 staff in the school system have tested positive for covid and 2,600 students were ordered to quarantine . A high school student was interviewed and she was in tears because she said she was ridiculed in school by her peers for wearing a mask when school started.

Last edited:

Club34

I know, right? Isn't Israel horrible? Let's add them to the list too.

According to NPR (but feel free to share your own data), Israel's vax rate is near 80% for those eligible for inoculation. If you include those who are not eligible it brings it to the number you say around 60% (according to the source, they have a very young population?). So you are blaming kids under 12yo or the fact that the country was a good vaccine adopter early on or it's the people who are religious or it's the fault of people in Mississippi...

Club34

There was a school board meeting in Lake County FL, not far from WDW and masks came up for discussion. A number of parents present were split between my freedom my choice for my kids and other parents whose kids wearing masks going to school with not all students wearing masks and the parents were scared . So far 368 students and over 100 staff in the school system have tested positive for covid and 2,600 students were ordered to quarantine . A high school student was interviewed and she was in tears because she said she was ridiculed in school by her peers for wearing a mask when school started.

Yes? You are providing data to support my claim? Or data to show this forum is very similar to the board meeting? I dunno...

Disney Experience

Please share this data on the forum. It sounds definitive!
This might provide some help on why the original study was flawed:

studies showing it ineffective can also have flaws ( the following used a dosage below what was considered effective, and was underpowered):

While the very large together trial dropped Ivermectin because it was shown ineffective:

Go to 29 1/2 minute markof presentation

Last edited:

CntrlFlPete

A good sign that maybe Florida’s is at the peak and hopefully new cases will begin to start a downward trend (fingers crossed)

From what I've read, FL's positivity rate was falling, yet it is rising in the 18 and under age group. These days, it is so hard to tell is a reporter is biased or misleading, but this seemed a pretty straight up suggesting that the opening of schools is just adding flames to Delta.

correcaminos

According to NPR (but feel free to share your own data), Israel's vax rate is near 80% for those eligible for inoculation. If you include those who are not eligible it brings it to the number you say around 60% (according to the source, they have a very young population?). So you are blaming kids under 12yo or the fact that the country was a good vaccine adopter early on or it's the people who are religious or it's the fault of people in Mississippi...
58% to be exact from NPR. If you think 58% is enough, I don’t know what to tell you. The article even said experts say it isn't enough. What's your end game?

Last edited:

Lilofan

Israel PM and his medical experts are blaming Delta on the covid surge and with many vaccinated earlier in the year , the effectiveness of the vaccine is not the same now as earlier in the year when vaccinated. Some of the medical experts are pushing for a third dose for the vaccinated in Israel.

Lilofan

Ivermectin showed some benefit in a small Brazilian study early in the pandemic that had several methodological flaws, including a lack of randomization. Subsequent larger follow-up studies that were better conducted did not show any benefit.

They've looked. It doesn't work against COVID-19. That should have been the end of the story, but quacks, charlatans and conspiracy theorist latched onto the initial trial, and took up the narrative that ivermectin is the secret COVID-19 cure that "They" don't want you to know about.
This ivermecitin is concerning . So the " larger follow up studies " were Brazilian people as guinea pigs? One owner of a feed store in Orlando advised he has been getting calls recently from customers to see if the store has it in stock. As the FDA advised " You are not a horse, you are not a cow. Stop it. "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom