Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member

Expanded info -

"Florida on Monday reported 42,143 more COVID-19 cases and 726 deaths to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, according to Herald calculations of CDC data.

The jump in the number of reported cases and deaths is due to the newest way deaths and cases are counted and the agency not reporting numbers on Sundays. The numbers include totals from the two weekend days.

The CDC implemented the change earlier this month, causing occasional one-day aberrations like the 726 additional deaths on Monday and 799 more deaths reported Thursday.

Nearly all of the newly reported deaths occurred after July 15, with 75% of those people dying in the last two weeks, according to Herald calculations of data published by the CDC. The majority of deaths happened during Florida’s latest surge in COVID-19 cases, fueled by the delta variant."

"There were 17,143 people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida on Monday, according to data reported to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services from 257 Florida hospitals. This is 110 fewer patients than yesterday’s COVID patient population.

COVID-19 patients also accounted for 29.88% of all hospital patients.

Of the hospitalized in Florida, 3,520 people were in intensive care unit beds, a decrease of 38. That represents 52.69% of the state’s ICU hospital beds from 257 hospitals reporting."

Lilofan

I think a big reason a lot of people are flying off the handle is the frustration that they are being proven wrong after digging in for over a year on certain opinions. But, they can't say that, so they blow up for other possible slights.
Reminds me of some anti vaxxers proven wrong late last year over something else and they still cannot come to grips over reality.

Casper Gutman

I think a big reason a lot of people are flying off the handle is the frustration that they are being proven wrong after digging in for over a year on certain opinions. But, they can't say that, so they blow up for other possible slights.
I think it’s more that over the last half decade, confrontation, rudeness, intransigence, and even cruelty, regardless of the point being argued, have themselves come to be seen as a valid political statement, a sort of refusal to conform to the politeness mandated by what the speaker perceives as a conspiratorial, overly educated, effete, repressive, anti- and non-Real-American ruling class. It’s a mindset that is more the cause of anti-vaccine stances then a result of it.

disneygeek90

Directly from the CDC website.

• People who have compromised immune systems may benefit from an additional dose to make sure they have enough protection against COVID-19.
  • CDC recommends people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised should receive an additional dose of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine after the initial 2 doses.
  • This additional dose intended to improve immunocompromised people’s response to their initial vaccine series is not the same as a booster dose, given to people when the immune response to a primary vaccine series is likely to have waned over time.
  • CDC does not recommend additional doses or booster shots for any other population at this time.
Sure, but I think it’s inevitable it’s coming shortly.

Timmay

Sure, but I think it’s inevitable it’s coming shortly.

Of course, but the CDC recommendations and guidelines state otherwise at this point. We also have a good idea it’s going to be a minimum…not maximum…of 8 months after being fully vaccinated. So those doing so now should have been fully vaccinated before Christmas. I think we know that’s not happening. I’m curious as to the reason some have chosen to do this, especially if following all other CDC recommendations and guidelines. Actually, I do know the reason.

disneygeek90

Of course, but the CDC recommendations and guidelines state otherwise at this point. We also have a good idea it’s going to be a minimum…not maximum…of 8 months after being fully vaccinated. So those doing so now should have been fully vaccinated before Christmas. I think we know that’s not happening. I’m curious as to the reason some have chosen to do this, especially if following all other CDC recommendations and guidelines. Actually, I do know the reason.
I've said nothing about people choosing to take a booster earlier if not immunocompromised, just that I think they are coming for everyone. My mom's complex all had their first shots before Christmas, and their second in January. Having them scheduled for October tracks and I think we will see them recommended for everyone 8+ months after the second shot by then.

Timmay

I've said nothing about people choosing to take a booster earlier if not immunocompromised, just that I think they are coming for everyone. My mom's complex all had their first shots before Christmas, and their second in January. Having them scheduled for October tracks and I think we will see them recommended for everyone 8+ months after the second shot by then.
I don’t disagree with anything you said. Planning in advance is good. My point about people gaming the system now wasn’t directed at you

Disney Experience

Part of the decline is due to people getting concerned at the rise so they stay away from others, mask and get vaccinated. Maybe enough bad news will help make some good news.
People are definitely staying away. I feel I am pretty well protected ( Fully vaccinated and much later got moderate covid/delta)

So I decided to go to an Imax. I did not wear a mask( had one)…Because I was the only one there.

Virtual Toad

Small update... of the 19 kids in my younger child’s homeroom class, 8 are quarantined due to one confirmed positive case while 11 remain in class. A teacher was also out today but no confirmation of why so it could be unrelated. One class had to be rescheduled as another teacher had to step in to fill the vacancy; with so many absent and no remote learning in place there’s talk of repeating/delaying the progression of the initial lessons until students can return. On a positive note, only a handful of positive tests so far and several students are getting vaccinated right as they turn 12. The school is also taking small but initial steps to improve social distancing where possible. So there is some evidence of ramped up concern, though mask wearing remains about 50/50. The school board is also meeting tomorrow and mandatory masks will at least be discussed. It’s the first regular meeting of the school year and the first opportunity for members of the public to speak on the issue. Our kids and their friends are all hanging in there, so fingers crossed.

The Mrs

Small update... of the 19 kids in my younger child’s homeroom class, 8 are quarantined due to one confirmed positive case while 11 remain in class. A teacher was also out today but no confirmation of why so it could be unrelated. One class had to be rescheduled as another teacher had to step in to fill the vacancy; with so many absent and no remote learning in place there’s talk of repeating/delaying the progression of the initial lessons until students can return. On a positive note, only a handful of positive tests so far and several students are getting vaccinated right as they turn 12. The school is also taking small but initial steps to improve social distancing where possible. So there is some evidence of ramped up concern, though mask wearing remains about 50/50. The school board is also meeting tomorrow and mandatory masks will at least be discussed. It’s the first regular meeting of the school year and the first opportunity for members of the public to speak on the issue. Our kids and their friends are all hanging in there, so fingers crossed.
It's nice to hear that you have some encouraging news. I'm sure it feels good to have a few things heading in the right direction. Hang in there. It's a stressful time to be a parent.

DisneyCane

Part of the decline is due to people getting concerned at the rise so they stay away from others, mask and get vaccinated. Maybe enough bad news will help make some good news.
People getting vaccinated is helping I'm sure. I don't think many suddenly decided a week ago to start doing other things.

Mostly I think it's just the outbreak spike behaving like they all seem to. I predicted the peak around 8/21 several weeks ago when the spike was just getting started. That date came from analyzing the shape of the curve compared to the UK and India Delta spikes.

Disney Experience

Four or five days old.. but still interesting results I have not seen in major news:

Astrazeneca has a long acting covid-19 antibody treatment ( perhaps good for for those who are anti vaccine). Phase 3 study
77% reduced risk of developing symptomatic COVID-19

First long-acting antibody combination to prevent COVID-19

PROVENT is a Phase III, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-centre trial assessing the safety and efficacy of a single 300mg dose of AZD7442 compared to placebo for the prevention of COVID-19. The trial was conducted in 87 sites in the US, UK, Spain, France and Belgium. 5,197 participants were randomised in a 2:1 ratio to receive a single intramuscular (IM) dose of either 300mg of AZD7442 (n = 3460) or saline placebo (n = 1,737), administered in two separate, sequential IM injections.

The primary efficacy endpoint was the first case of any SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR positive symptomatic illness occurring post dose prior to day 183. Subjects will continue to be followed for 15 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom