Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

But it does feel a bit foolish. The more people you come near in a day, the more chances you have to catch it. Going to WDW puts your chances much higher just because of the sheer number of people with whom you cross paths.
It's not really about the total number of people you cross paths with, it's the number you are in high risk situations with. At WDW, the high risk situations are in the indoor queues and on transportation. You can avoid transportation almost entirely if you drive from park to park. Take the ferry to MK so you are outside.

The increased risk is from the few people within close proximity of you on each queue. Depending on how many queues you are in will determine how many people you are close to for an extended period of time indoors. You could cross paths with several thousand people during the day but the only ones that really matter are the few hundred that you are near for a long period of time in the indoor queues.

I wouldn't say it is foolish in any way since you (and I assume whoever you are traveling with) are fully vaccinated. Your risk of any serious disease is miniscule due to that fact. It wasn't foolish to go to a packed MK in 2019 and risk catching all kinds of pretty minor bugs so I don't think it is foolish now.

Bob Harlem

So I can't figure out the numbers for Florida, seems like it jumps all over the place.

I know hospitalization and death numbers lag, but are the cases peaking yet? Or at least plateauing? How about positivity rates?

Yes, I'm going in late October and I'm following closely at this point...
Florida peaked in cases last week. Louisiana (Which did the worst per capita) has also Peaked, as did Missouri--where the newer US wave first started. Cases in the younger age bracket are higher, while adults seem to be dropping off more quickly. But the overall is better. Severity in under 12 is still extremely low. The University of Florida biostatistics projections have it bottoming out mid October.

Lilofan

Early in the pandemic, when we had no vaccines or therapeutics, doctors had a kitchen sink approach to COVID. They threw in every reasonable treatment in their arsenal to see what worked. This is how corticosteroids and monoclonal antibodies became standards of care. Some leads that initially seemed promising or had a reasonable theory behind trying, like high dose NSAIDs, interferons, antivirals, hydroxychloroquine, fluvoxamine, and ivermectin, failed in well-designed studies. It's not like these patients were denied standard of care treatment, though, simply because there was no standard of care at the time. So, were they "guinea pigs"? I guess that depends on your definition, or whether you think volunteering for a trial is a good or bad thing.

I hope that we develop better treatments going forward. Corticosteroids and monoclonal antibodies are useful tools, but their benefits aren't game-changers either. The former is only useful on hospitalized patients who are already very sick, and the latter is very expensive, has a rather narrow clinical indication, and is difficult to scale up for everyone who might benefit (despite what a certain governor likes to tout). The Holy Grail will be a well-tolerated oral antiviral medication that can stop an infection in its tracks.
Thanks for the informative info. If the Holy Grail oral meds comes out, I hope it comes in bubble gum or tutti fruit flavored!

DCBaker

Premium Member
DCL update with vaccine requirement for ages 12+ on sailings to the Bahamas -

Disney Cruise Line Important Travel Information
August 24, 2021

Our focus remains on operating our ships in a responsible way that continues to create magic for all on board. We are resuming sailing in a gradual, phased approach that emphasizes multiple layers of health and safety measures, developed in consideration of guidance from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other medical experts. Learn more about what to expect—including experience updates and details about our multi-layered approach to health and safety.

Sailings to The Bahamas September 3, 2021 until November 1, 2021

For sailings to the Bahamas beginning September 3, 2021 until November 1, 2021, The Bahamas will require that all passengers ages 12 and older be fully vaccinated in order for a ship to be allowed entry into any of its cruise ports, including private islands like Disney Castaway Cay. To comply with this new requirement, all Guests ages 12 and older must be fully vaccinated to board the ship. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) considers people to be fully vaccinated 14 days after the final dose has been administered. Guests must provide proof of vaccination by uploading their vaccination card to the Safe Passage by Inspire website no later than 24 hours before their sailing. Guests who choose not to provide proof of vaccination to meet the requirements of The Bahamas will not be permitted to board the ship.

Guests under the age of 12 must still provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken between 5 days and 24 hours prior to the sail date by uploading their test results to the Safe Passage by Inspire website. They will also be required to undergo a second PCR COVID-19 test administered by Inspire Diagnostics at the terminal prior to boarding.

Guests on a sailing to The Bahamas (including Disney Castaway Cay) departing from September 3, 2021 to prior to November 1, 2021 may modify their sail date or cancel their sailing without any Disney-imposed cancellation fees by contacting our reservations team at (866) 325-6685 or (407) 566-7797 by September 3, 2021. Guests and travel agents will receive an email from Disney Cruise Line outlining additional details and next steps.

Lilofan

In my experience, some people will give any excuse why they can't do what is necessary to prevent a disease (stop smoking, stop drinking, stop doing drugs, exercise more, get a vaccine, eat better, be an adult and wear the damn mask!), but will drop any and all cares about what goes into their body once they actually start feeling sick.
Good advice and that's what your family doctor would say but if more started getting healthy doing more preventative etc, the health care industry ( not the gyms ) would probably see a drastic drop in revenues.

Heppenheimer

Good advice and that's what your family doctor would say but if more started getting healthy doing more preventative etc, the health care industry ( not the gyms ) would probably see a drastic drop in revenues.
At least on the primary care side, I would disagree. When patients have fewer health issues, you can see more of them per day. Although the reimbursements are higher for more complicated outpatient visits, it's still less than if I were to see two or more less complicated patients in the same amount of time.

None of this matters to me personally, though, because I'm on salary.

Patcheslee

Yup. Humanity is losing its collective mind. I’m in a diner right now and some guy just walked in to eat and the waitress said “Okay but I have to tell you that we close at 7:30, to which he screamed “What kind of F-ing diner closes at 7:30?!?!” And he stormed out, slamming the door so hard I thought the glass was going to break. Now, while he actually had a good point (because what kind of diner does close at 7:30?), what kind of way is that to act? And since I come here all the time, the reason they close at 7:30 is that they cannot currently find staff to keep it open later. Sheesh.
My favorite diner closes at 5pm, has for years. The owner does it so employees can go home and have dinner/time with their families. One of the best local places to work as a kid if you could get your foot in the door.

DisneyCane

Florida peaked in cases last week. Louisiana (Which did the worst per capita) has also Peaked, as did Missouri--where the newer US wave first started. Cases in the younger age bracket are higher, while adults seem to be dropping off more quickly. But the overall is better. Severity in under 12 is still extremely low. The University of Florida biostatistics projections have it bottoming out mid October.
My projection from a few weeks ago had the bottoming out just before the end of September. I'll go with the UF people since they have sophisticated modeling that I don't have access to. Still not bad if I'm only off by two weeks when I did my projection in ten minutes on an excel spreadsheet. I hope either me or UF has projected correctly.

DisneyCane

Yup. Humanity is losing its collective mind. I’m in a diner right now and some guy just walked in to eat and the waitress said “Okay but I have to tell you that we close at 7:30, to which he screamed “What kind of F-ing diner closes at 7:30?!?!” And he stormed out, slamming the door so hard I thought the glass was going to break. Now, while he actually had a good point (because what kind of diner does close at 7:30?), what kind of way is that to act? And since I come here all the time, the reason they close at 7:30 is that they cannot currently find staff to keep it open later. Sheesh.

I've seen several with a closing early, short staffed, they need a break signs
Inability to get staff is a HUGE issue at a lot of restaurants. Flying through Dallas (DFW) last Friday, around half of the restaurants (Applebees, Maggiano's, Chick-fil-A and a couple more) were closed by 6PM right in the middle of a bank of connections and dinner time. The girl near the door at Applebee's told somebody else they had to close due to not enough staff.

Patcheslee

8 months out for the booster puts me at October 3rd. But I've had J&J so no idea what their plan is. Husband had Moderna and booster would be mid November, DD12 would be due for Pfizer February.

Disney Experience

8 months out for the booster puts me at October 3rd. But I've had J&J so no idea what their plan is. Husband had Moderna and booster would be mid November, DD12 would be due for Pfizer February.
8 months for me would have been last May. One month before I got delta. Lol.

But hey that is the risk of being in the trial. They need the data and analysis from it ( and the more focused booster trials) to help determine when and whether boosters are needed.

sullyinMT

Now that Pfizer has full adult approval, a few ways I’ve decided the Feds can use their bully pulpit to nahtamandate vaccines:

1. withhold CMS payments to any health system not mandating the vaccine of their employees. Similar to the nursing home/LTC program that already exists.
2. Similarly, the Dept of Ed should withhold funds from school districts and/or states that don’t mandate it of school staff. Also applies to mask mandates when/where transmission is high-substantial. This could even extend to high-schoolers 16+, but I concede that minors are a very touchy subject.
3. Like the CMS payments, raise Medicare premiums/offer an incentive for Medicare recipients directly tied to vaccines.
4. Remove USDA approval or whatever from all food chain suppliers not requiring vaccines of their employees. Food chain is critical infrastructure with tight working conditions.
5. Auto plants and part suppliers have DOT or NHTSA stamps/inspections, right? Another opportunity.

Not all states will be on board, but a few ways states can influence employee mandates without outright taking over industries:

1. Ding restaurants with severe grading penalties for not having employee vaccine mandates. It’s a direct health risk to have servers breathing their ‘vid on their customers.
2. I’m thinking directly of CA with Uni and DLR, but other Six Flags/Cedar Fair host states can revoke operating licenses for not having vaccine mandates of patrons AND employees. Again, I’m willing to concede minors in this one, but not all 18+.
3. Hotel/hospitality licenses or health inspections a la #1 above.

All of the above should rightfully have very strict but reasonable opt-outs. I know this is probably controversial and not popular opinion, but it’s beyond time to stop coddling the adult anti-vax crowd.

GimpYancIent

"
Now that Pfizer has full adult approval, a few ways I’ve decided the Feds can use their bully pulpit to nahtamandate vaccines:

1. withhold CMS payments to any health system not mandating the vaccine of their employees. Similar to the nursing home/LTC program that already exists.
2. Similarly, the Dept of Ed should withhold funds from school districts and/or states that don’t mandate it if school staff. Also applies to mask mandates when/where transmission is high-substantial. This could even extend to high-schoolers 16+, but I concede that minors are a very touchy subject.
3. Like the CMS payments, raise Medicare premiums/offer an incentive for Medicare recipients directly tied to vaccines.
4. Remove USDA approval or whatever from all food chain suppliers not requiring vaccines of their employees. Food chain is critical infrastructure with tight working conditions.
5. Auto plants and part suppliers have DOT or NHTSA stamps/inspections, right? Another opportunity.

Not all states will be on board, but a few ways states can influence employee mandates without outright taking over industries:

1. Ding restaurants with severe grading penalties for not having employee vaccine mandates. It’s a direct health risk to have servers breathing their ‘vid on their customers.
2. I’m thinking directly of CA with Uni and DLR, but other Six Flags/Cedar Fair host states can revoke operating licenses for not having vaccine mandates of patrons AND employees. Again, I’m willing to concede minors in this one, but not all 18+.
3. Hotel/hospitality licenses or health inspections a la #1 above.

All of the above should rightfully have very strict but reasonable opt-outs. I know this is probably controversial and not popular opinion, but it’s beyond time to stop coddling the adult anti-vax crowd.
Impressive! Do you work for the government?

correcaminos

8 months for me would have been last May. One month before I got delta. Lol.

But hey that is the risk of being in the trial. They need the data and analysis from it ( and the more focused booster trials) to help determine when and whether boosters are needed.
Absolutely and I know we all thank you for doing this!

I know I joined thinking my risk of getting severely ill not vaccinated was low due to age and health (I'm not ignoring things either) with my family now safely vaccinated this spring and early summer, I was happy to jump on the booster trial. I don't mask as much as some do but always when asked.

Disney Analyst

BC’s mask mandate is back as of tomorrow across province for public indoor spaces. It’s temporary they said, so I assume once the full vaccine passport is in place come October, spaces that are vaccinated only will become optional.

Heppenheimer

The medical news websites I usually consult are curiously silent about this issue, but surprisingly, CNN has a good update on where we stand for pediatric COVID vaccines:

The article quotes a possible submission to the FDA by Pfizer for a EAU by late September, although that seems a bit overly optimistic from unofficial rumblings I've heard. But hey, if we have it by October, my toddler is going to get a nice birthday present, although he might not like it...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom