Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

This article goes into nuances with breakthrough cases. It's not clear entirely the issues sind immune systems of elderly are different.

I can happily report FDA approval is helping for some. But the misinformation out there is huge still. Another yesterday spoke to me and we had a lot of unwinding to do.

correcaminos

Israel PM and his medical experts are blaming Delta on the covid surge and with many vaccinated earlier in the year , the effectiveness of the vaccine is not the same now as earlier in the year when vaccinated. Some of the medical experts are pushing for a third dose for the vaccinated in Israel.
Might want to read articles I posted. Not so cut and dry as you are stating. Cases of unvaccinated are still the vast majority.

Heppenheimer

This ivermecitin is concerning . So the " larger follow up studies " were Brazilian people as guinea pigs? One owner of a feed store in Orlando advised he has been getting calls recently from customers to see if the store has it in stock. As the FDA advised " You are not a horse, you are not a cow. Stop it. "
Early in the pandemic, when we had no vaccines or therapeutics, doctors had a kitchen sink approach to COVID. They threw in every reasonable treatment in their arsenal to see what worked. This is how corticosteroids and monoclonal antibodies became standards of care. Some leads that initially seemed promising or had a reasonable theory behind trying, like high dose NSAIDs, interferons, antivirals, hydroxychloroquine, fluvoxamine, and ivermectin, failed in well-designed studies. It's not like these patients were denied standard of care treatment, though, simply because there was no standard of care at the time. So, were they "guinea pigs"? I guess that depends on your definition, or whether you think volunteering for a trial is a good or bad thing.

I hope that we develop better treatments going forward. Corticosteroids and monoclonal antibodies are useful tools, but their benefits aren't game-changers either. The former is only useful on hospitalized patients who are already very sick, and the latter is very expensive, has a rather narrow clinical indication, and is difficult to scale up for everyone who might benefit (despite what a certain governor likes to tout). The Holy Grail will be a well-tolerated oral antiviral medication that can stop an infection in its tracks.

Last edited:

Kevin_W

Four or five days old.. but still interesting results I have not seen in major news:

Astrazeneca has a long acting covid-19 antibody treatment ( perhaps good for for those who are anti vaccine). Phase 3 study

I haven't seen a ton of discussion on it. Good science, but it's still an intramuscular shot. I'm not sure how many of the vaccine-hesitant would be able to distinguish that from a vaccine.

Chip Chipperson

Ivermectin showed some benefit in a small Brazilian study early in the pandemic that had several methodological flaws, including a lack of randomization. Subsequent larger follow-up studies that were better conducted did not show any benefit.

They've looked. It doesn't work against COVID-19. That should have been the end of the story, but quacks, charlatans and conspiracy theorist latched onto the initial trial, and took up the narrative that ivermectin is the secret COVID-19 cure that "They" don't want you to know about.

Oh, so you don't think I should take a horse's ivermectin prescription????? Sounds just like what "they" want you to say! 😉

DisneyCane

Testing is down by 25%. So the cases are higher.

Likely because there are fewer symptomatic people. Due to the high positivity, there are likely significant undiscovered cases so we'll never know what the actual peak was in terms of daily infections. However, what will likely happen is the positivity will start dropping over the next couple of weeks while the number of "cases" gradually drops. Eventually, when the positivity gets below 10% the cases will drop faster because the test to infection ratio will be high enough to catch a much higher percentage of infections.

DisneyCane

Broward is the same. It can feel like it’s closing in.

In a private group on this board, I started posting pics of posts by my own fb friends - averaged 4 per day, either announcing they were positive, relaying how miserable they felt, or offering condolences for someone who had passed.

A few days of those were too much.

I was feeling crummy and took a test today; it was negative.

An hour or two later, someone close tested positive.
Are your friends that are testing positive (or dying) vaccinated? If so, do you know which vaccine?

Heppenheimer

I haven't seen a ton of discussion on it. Good science, but it's still an intramuscular shot. I'm not sure how many of the vaccine-hesitant would be able to distinguish that from a vaccine.
In my experience, some people will give any excuse why they can't do what is necessary to prevent a disease (stop smoking, stop drinking, stop doing drugs, exercise more, get a vaccine, eat better, be an adult and wear the damn mask!), but will drop any and all cares about what goes into their body once they actually start feeling sick.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Are your friends that are testing positive (or dying) vaccinated? If so, do you know which vaccine?
Of the ones who have disclosed, it’s a mix. Some were vaccinated (differing vaccines) one thought they were protected because they had Covid last year but still got Delta, some were not vaccinated. Some I just don’t know.

The one from yesterday was definitely double-vaxxed, but not sure which. He’s trying to find someone else to care for his stepdad while he stays away. As of yesterday, he had no symptoms, only got tested because a friend he had hung out with on Wednesday (unmasked) tested positive on Saturday. I saw this person briefly on Saturday (both masked) and again, my test was negative. (I had Moderna in April & May.) I’m a little concerned about 2 people who spent hours with him on Saturday, though all were vaxxed and masked.

Tony the Tigger

I’d love to know who has gone to WDW since the Delta surge, and who came back fine or tested positive.

We’re still scheduled to go on Friday until Tuesday morning. A lot of things we are doing mitigate risk (driving up, staying in a cabin, going to MK for Boo Bash rather than more crowded daytime.)

But it does feel a bit foolish. The more people you come near in a day, the more chances you have to catch it. Going to WDW puts your chances much higher just because of the sheer number of people with whom you cross paths.

If the parks are too much, the backup plan will be resort time and nice dinners. It’s a short trip and either way, a break from life.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Of the ones who have disclosed, it’s a mix. Some were vaccinated (differing vaccines) one thought they were protected because they had Covid last year but still got Delta, some were not vaccinated. Some I just don’t know.

The one from yesterday was definitely double-vaxxed, but not sure which. He’s trying to find someone else to care for his stepdad while he stays away. As of yesterday, he had no symptoms, only got tested because a friend he had hung out with on Wednesday (unmasked) tested positive on Saturday. I saw this person briefly on Saturday (both masked) and again, my test was negative. (I had Moderna in April & May.) I’m a little concerned about 2 people who spent hours with him on Saturday, though all were vaxxed and masked.
Hopefully by Christmas, there won't be another huge Winter surge again probably due to enough people are vaccinated as kids 5-11 too this Winter.

Chip Chipperson

In my experience, some people will give any excuse why they can't do what is necessary to prevent a disease (stop smoking, stop drinking, stop doing drugs, exercise more, get a vaccine, eat better, be an adult and wear the damn mask!), but will drop any and all cares about what goes into their body once they actually start feeling sick.

The irrationality behind people refusing to get vaccinated but thinking that it's perfectly fine and smart to take medication formulated for livestock is astounding. "You idiots go ahead and take that risky vaccine that's only been safely administered to hundreds of millions of people. Me and the rest of the smart people who know the real truth will be over here taking horse pills. I ain't no guinea pig!"

dreday3

So I can't figure out the numbers for Florida, seems like it jumps all over the place.

I know hospitalization and death numbers lag, but are the cases peaking yet? Or at least plateauing? How about positivity rates?

Yes, I'm going in late October and I'm following closely at this point...

disneygeek90

I’d love to know who has gone to WDW since the Delta surge, and who came back fine or tested positive.

We’re still scheduled to go on Friday until Tuesday morning. A lot of things we are doing mitigate risk (driving up, staying in a cabin, going to MK for Boo Bash rather than more crowded daytime.)

But it does feel a bit foolish. The more people you come near in a day, the more chances you have to catch it. Going to WDW puts your chances much higher just because of the sheer number of people with whom you cross paths.

If the parks are too much, the backup plan will be resort time and nice dinners. It’s a short trip and either way, a break from life.
I've been a lot, pre vaccine and post. Most of my days are just a few hours at a time but I've been pretty much doing everything and the past week has been significantly slower. Bring hand sanitizer because there's not as many stands around as a few months ago. Masks indoors also is a nice reassurance, I don't really want anyone breathing down my neck covid or not.

Tony the Tigger

Florida numbers…

716C9A1A-8503-4D2C-A211-BA7F3CD00700.jpeg

JoeCamel

So I can't figure out the numbers for Florida, seems like it jumps all over the place.

I know hospitalization and death numbers lag, but are the cases peaking yet? Or at least plateauing? How about positivity rates?

Yes, I'm going in late October and I'm following closely at this point...
They did another data dump with 726 deaths mostly after 7/15 added to the count and they are no longer reporting Sunday so what you see is a couple of days (46k+) cases added. Can't go by the numbers any longer, it will get better when people get better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom