Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Experience

For some reason I thought of this, we can all use a good laugh:

Lol.

A dark sense of humor can make things easier to handle.

When I was in Iraq 15 years ago ( Civilian) in North Liberty/ Camp Victory I was working away and got very tired. I thought of my oldest niece who told me that If I was ever tired Red Bull works great. I said to myself,”Wish I had a Red Bull”. But I didn’t. Suddenly, directly over my head, the sizzling sound of the fuse of an incoming mortar round, then a Whoomp sound ( not a thump) and a shockwave hit me. ( I , unlike 15 others 50 yards from me , was uninjured). I was calm and wide awake for hours after that, and immediately thought , “That's better than a Red Bull!”.

Dark sense of humor works for me. I even laughed when I was in a bout gasping for breath when I had Covid in June and thought how ironic I got moderate covid after having made sure long ago in September to volunteer and get vaccinated. I had to stop laughing cause it hurt a lot and made me gasp for oxygen more. Which was funny to me too. Yep dark sense of humor. Military actually says it helps in coping with events, so I am covered in that department.

Last edited:

celluloid

Lol.

A dark sense of humor can make things easier to handle.

When I was in Iraq 15 years ago ( Civilian) in North Liberty/ Camp Victory I was working away and got very tired. I thought of my oldest niece who told me that If I was ever tired Red Bull works great. I said to myself,”Wish I had a Red Bull”. But I didn’t. Suddenly, directly over my head, the sizzling sound of the fuse of an incoming mortar round, then a Whoomp sound ( not a thump) and a shockwave hit me. ( I , unlike 15 others 50 yards from me , was uninjured). I was calm and wide awake for hours after that, and immediately thought , “That's better than a Red Bull!”.

Dark sense of humor works for me. I even laughed when I was in a bout gasping for breath when I had Covid in June and thought how ironic I got moderate covid after having made sure long ago in September to volunteer and get vaccinated. I had to stop laughing cause it hurt a lot and made me gasp for oxygen more. Which was funny to me too. Yep dark sense of humor. Military actually says it helps in coping with events, so I am covered in that department.

A dark sense of humor at its core, is still a sense of humor. So sometimes, that is what can keep one going. Never lose it as it can be the one thing no one can take away. (I know at that point you know this but I wanted to echo what you said)

Heppenheimer

I understand. It is just that in my opinion in a pandemic, the military needs to be ready, and vaccines as good as the MRNA ones against a highly contagious disease is worth requiring after EUA. The one argument I could see is that those in the military are younger and healthier than the general public and therefore less likely to get moderate or serious covid
Military readiness. Even if they're only sick enough to stay home, you can wipe out an entire unit's training or refurb schedule in a day if COVID rips through them.

It could be a disaster if this happened during a deployment.

Jedijax719

Pretty good write-up on the situation:

This section confirms what I thought:
If it is able to take root, the Delta variant appears to replicate with disturbing speed, so that “the viral load of vaccinated and unvaccinated persons infected with SARS-CoV-2 is also similar,” said the CDC study. While breakthrough infections remain rare, when they do happen, they will almost certainly lead to heightened transmission.

So breakthrough infections are still rare but when they happen the viral load is much more likely to be high enough to infect others with Delta.
That's scary and extremely disturbing! If it can do all of that, then it's a race between replication and binding of antibodies. The worry is that there will be new variants that result in rendering current vaccinations useless (this is what happens with the flu every season). If it were a seasonal issue (new strains every season) then problems can be mitigated through new vaccines each year or twice a year. However, if it spread THAT quickly, then it can mutate quickly as well. The silver lining right now is that the breakthrough cases are still rather low and are hardly resulting in hospitalizations. That's good news. Hopefully this peaks and peaks very soon.

Harris County, Texas reported over 4000 cases today which is more than the entire state of Texas reported for most of June and July. Texas is following Florida's "example".

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's scary and extremely disturbing! If it can do all of that, then it's a race between replication and binding of antibodies. The worry is that there will be new variants that result in rendering current vaccinations useless (this is what happens with the flu every season). If it were a seasonal issue (new strains every season) then problems can be mitigated through new vaccines each year or twice a year. However, if it spread THAT quickly, then it can mutate quickly as well. The silver lining right now is that the breakthrough cases are still rather low and are hardly resulting in hospitalizations. That's good news. Hopefully this peaks and peaks very soon.

Harris County, Texas reported over 4000 cases today which is more than the entire state of Texas reported for most of June and July. Texas is following Florida's "example".
My company is headquartered in Houston so I’ve heard it’s getting worse there. We are still doing OK but we are returning to masks for everyone at all facilities nationwide. I’m kinda hoping they see what these other major companies are doing and require the vaccine to come into work.

jlhwdw

For all the doom and gloomers who are all but saying they want stay at home suggestions reinstated for all:

If you're vaccinated you are still quite safe to participate in life. If not, go get your d**n shot right now. But if you're vaxxed there is no need to stay inside your house and panic post hyperbole on Disney fan forums to spook each other

CarolinaSoprano

Hi guys. I was posting last week while on our 10 day trip to WDW. My group is all vaccinated. I was happy with the no masks and waited to go until they dropped them. So we went. Had a fantastic time at the parks and the Yacht Club. Well we were home for 3 days and me and my husband started getting sick. My symptoms are headache, sore throat, runny nose and excessive sneezing (odd). My kids 14 and 12 have zero symptoms thank god. I am not mad at Disney for no masks nor myself for going. Just wanted to put it out there that for anyone going soon well, good luck. Even with masks you will be packed in like sardines with strangers in many many circumstances. The masks are NOT a guarantee. My vaccine did work though, as I do not need medical attention in any way. Just a miserable/annoying 4 days so far hanging on the couch. Just wanted to share my experience.

Clamman73

Hi guys. I was posting last week while on our 10 day trip to WDW. My group is all vaccinated. I was happy with the no masks and waited to go until they dropped them. So we went. Had a fantastic time at the parks and the Yacht Club. Well we were home for 3 days and me and my husband started getting sick. My symptoms are headache, sore throat, runny nose and excessive sneezing (odd). My kids 14 and 12 have zero symptoms thank god. I am not mad at Disney for no masks nor myself for going. Just wanted to put it out there that for anyone going soon well, good luck. Even with masks you will be packed in like sardines with strangers in many many circumstances. The masks are NOT a guarantee. My vaccine did work though, as I do not need medical attention in any way. Just a miserable/annoying 4 days so far hanging on the couch. Just wanted to share my experience.
You could’ve picked up RSV.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Did you wear a mask just indoors or all of the time while you were there?

Flugell

Hope you and your husband soon feel better.
Have you been tested? Those are frequent symptoms of Delta variant according to English guidance. I hope that you don’t feel ill enough to but understanding how many vaccinated get ill is important data!
Take care.

celluloid

I wonder if a cruise line can get around it by having an option, to those who do not want to show proof of vaccination, of a covid test and quarantine hotel ( have to give time for enough virus to replicate for test to work) at passengers expense.

A fun work around would be to let them know they will have to show it before boarding to return to Florida.

CarolinaSoprano

Hope you and your husband soon feel better.
Have you been tested? Those are frequent symptoms of Delta variant according to English guidance. I hope that you don’t feel ill enough to but understanding how many vaccinated get ill is important data!
Take care.
No we did not go get tested. Just don’t feel the need I guess. We do not need medical attention. We are all just hanging out for the rest of the summer at home before school starts so no work or interacting with people etc. for a while. And we are ok! Just annoying symptoms and waiting to feel 100% again.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I (we) did not wear a mask at all except the skyliner and bus. I was talking in general. There is no way even with masks that this highly contagious variant will stay contained. People will still get sick unfortunately.
Sorry, I thought you meant you wore a mask and it didn’t help. I agree masks are not 100% but if you are wearing a mask and an infected person is too and you have contact you are still less likely to be infected. I don’t know how much less likely but it at least helps some, even against Delta.

ImperfectPixie

So I just read a Twitter thread, that tries to explain what happened in Cape Cod. First, this cluster still correctly identified the flaw in the assumption that vaccinated people don't spread COVID, but there are some features of this cluster that have implications for the potential within the general population.

85% of the cases were in men. This does not mean men are more at risk for being infected with COVID after vaccination. It means more men, in P-town were present and engaging in behavior that leads to greater chances of being infected, and the CDC was trying to avoid the negative framing that would undoubtedly accompany this cohort.

You seem to be familiar with the area. What is unique to the gathering in P-town? Something called Bear Week?

Don't go around kissing people who might be infected with COVID. So the same rules from throughout this pandemic apply... Close contact increases the potential for infection, even when vaccinated and some behaviors increase how close, the close contact is.

So we do have to worry about vaccinated people spreading, but it's not going to be the same level of spread (and thus the point of the twitter thread is that the CDC is overestimating the increase in R(0) as it would be in the general population) as seen in P-town; as many people aren't getting that much action.

So hopefully, this will help you relax a little about what it means overall. But Sturgis will probably be another fun time for the Dakotas and surrounding states.
I live in MA not far from where the Cape starts (and grew up not far from where I live now), so yes, you could say I'm familiar. ;) (To be honest though, I've never visited. I've been to towns relatively close, but not actually P-Town. Living so close to the Cape and experiencing the traffic the summer people bring with them every year makes the Cape lose a lot of its draw.)

I looked it up, and Bear Week was thankfully suspended (it was supposed to take place 7/10-7/18). Visitors from out of town and out of state were almost definitely the cause, there's been no doubt about that in my mind at all - P-Town's entire population is just under 3000 people, and on the whole, MA cases were WAY down and had been holding pretty steady. The scene at P-Town is the stuff of legends...when I saw that was where the outbreak happened...the partying popped into my head right away. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were much smaller clusters of new cases along the coast because people flock to the beaches, and young people in particular throw some pretty epic parties on the 4th (I *may* have attended a few in my day, lol). If there's anything a lot of people in MA like, it's their booze (and now their weed, too 🤪).

My concern since seeing the new information isn't really for the vaccinated (though we're definitely upping how careful we're being), it's mostly for those who haven't gotten their shots yet...particularly kids like our 10-year-old. MA is (so far) only recommending masks in school for grades k-6 in the fall, and I know from extended school year that recommendations don't do squat - my kid has been the only one wearing a mask on his bus, and he says there are only a couple of kids masking up at school.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I live in MA not far from where the Cape starts (and grew up not far from where I live now), so yes, you could say I'm familiar. ;) (To be honest though, I've never visited. I've been to towns relatively close, but not actually P-Town. Living so close to the Cape and experiencing the traffic the summer people bring with them every year makes the Cape lose a lot of its draw.)

I looked it up, and Bear Week was thankfully suspended (it was supposed to take place 7/10-7/18). Visitors from out of town and out of state were almost definitely the cause, there's been no doubt about that in my mind at all - P-Town's entire population is just under 3000 people, and on the whole, MA cases were WAY down and had been holding pretty steady. The scene at P-Town is the stuff of legends...when I saw that was where the outbreak happened...the partying popped into my head right away. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were much smaller clusters of new cases along the coast because people flock to the beaches, and young people in particular throw some pretty epic parties on the 4th (I *may* have attended a few in my day, lol). If there's anything a lot of people in MA like, it's their booze (and now their weed, too 🤪).

My concern since seeing the new information isn't really for the vaccinated (though we're definitely upping how careful we're being), it's mostly for those who haven't gotten their shots yet...particularly kids like our 10-year-old. MA is (so far) only recommending masks in school for grades k-6 in the fall, and I know from extended school year that recommendations don't do squat - my kid has been the only one wearing a mask on his bus, and he says there are only a couple of kids masking up at school.
We got the notification this afternoon our district is going back to masks for everyone no matter what the vaccination status. The county recommended all districts adopt that guidance from the CDC.

Incomudro

Because in uncommon cases we can still carry the variant, and do not want to contribute to overloading hospitals, nor spreading to people who have legitimate reasons they cannot get vaccinated.

It sucks, but so does most of life. Get over it and wear the damn cloth
The effectiveness of the vaccinated wearing the damned cloth in real world situations is unknown.
We can just as well argue that the unvaccinated, and those who cannot get the vaccine for various reasons - should wear n95's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom