Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For what it’s worth we had 560,000 new first jabs reported today (administered yesterday). Definitely a trend of increasing shots. Not 2-4M a day but still better than a few hundred thousand. 58% of eligible people vaccinated. 90M eligible people have not even started which is tragic:( Employers requiring vaccination could help with a portion of those holdouts. I still think another stimulus tied to vaccination would really help too. Keep your job and get a free grand from the government 👍🤑🥳

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So I just read a Twitter thread, that tries to explain what happened in Cape Cod. First, this cluster still correctly identified the flaw in the assumption that vaccinated people don't spread COVID, but there are some features of this cluster that have implications for the potential within the general population.

85% of the cases were in men. This does not mean men are more at risk for being infected with COVID after vacation. It means more men, in P-town were present and engaging in behavior that leads to greater chances of being infected, and the CDC was trying to avoid the negative framing that would undoubtedly accompany this cohort.

Don't go around kissing people who might be infected with COVID. So the same rules from throughout this pandemic apply... Close contact increases the potential for infection, even when vaccinated and some behaviors increase how close, the close contact is.

So we do have to worry about vaccinated people spreading, but it's not going to be the same level of spread (and thus the point of the twitter thread is that the CDC is overestimating the increase in R(0) as it would be in the general population) as seen in P-town; as many people aren't getting that much action.

So hopefully, this will help you relax a little about what it means overall. But Sturgis will probably be another fun time for the Dakotas and surrounding states.
💡💡💡💡

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
1905!?

Extremely naive to automatically assume a 2021 Supreme makeup would review the issue the same as that of a court pre WW1.

I'm not saying it would or would not hold today; I am saying precedents get overturned depending on the judicial DNA(liberal, conservative, swing minded, caretaker or activist) of CURRENT sitting jurists.
A federal court through out the case in TX and so far the Supreme Court hasn’t decided to hear the case.

Disney Experience

So I just read a Twitter thread, that tries to explain what happened in Cape Cod. First, this cluster still correctly identified the flaw in the assumption that vaccinated people don't spread COVID, but there are some features of this cluster that have implications for the potential within the general population.

85% of the cases were in men. This does not mean men are more at risk for being infected with COVID after vacation. It means more men, in P-town were present and engaging in behavior that leads to greater chances of being infected, and the CDC was trying to avoid the negative framing that would undoubtedly accompany this cohort.

Don't go around kissing people who might be infected with COVID. So the same rules from throughout this pandemic apply... Close contact increases the potential for infection, even when vaccinated and some behaviors increase how close, the close contact is.

So we do have to worry about vaccinated people spreading, but it's not going to be the same level of spread (and thus the point of the twitter thread is that the CDC is overestimating the increase in R(0) as it would be in the general population) as seen in P-town; as many people aren't getting that much action.

So hopefully, this will help you relax a little about what it means overall. But Sturgis will probably be another fun time for the Dakotas and surrounding states.

and from another article a lot of the cases was from people visiting the town:

Fewer than half of the people testing positive in association with the Provincetown cases — 39 out of 132 — are from Barnstable County on Cape Cod.

Another 50 live elsewhere in Massachusetts, and the rest reside outside of the state.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks. Why I Google the numbers it's hard to know because every result is different, especially for individual states.
This is the CDC page updated each morning:
FEB671DA-4500-4158-8002-E5E64AEFF90A.png

lazyboy97o

The first domino is always the hardest. No one wants to be first to jump in case no one else does. Within a short time “big business” will all be on board this train. Just like with all the shutdowns.

They don’t want unpredictable disruptions. They definitely don’t want shutdowns and vaccinated people = less unpredictable disruptions and shutdowns. With the bonus of looking like they care about public health and the health of their employees. But this is more about disruption when there is a way to avoid it.
They also don’t want to pay the increased premiums or lose employees due to high premiums.

Disney Experience

Florida! We are number #1 !!

🤡

The silver lining is perhaps we will be first to start the downward slope of the wave.

I have a short October trip to WDW to celebrate my first year wedding anniversary. Staying at the Grand Floridian where we started our honeymoon ( but did not get a 3 bedroom villa this time) .

So I want this wave to be done by then since my wife will be 1 year since second shot then. I am a bit safer since I will be over 1 year since fully vaxxed but I got a booster 🤡(likely it was delta ) the hard-way in June.

Bob Harlem

The silver lining is perhaps we will be first to start the downward slope of the wave.
The R rate for Florida looks like it may have peaked, although it'll take time before the case numbers go back down, it's at least some good news. https://covidestim.org/

Why cases seem to valley out after spikes seems (Even in past pre-vax waves) is still a mystery.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Pretty good write-up on the situation:

This section confirms what I thought:
If it is able to take root, the Delta variant appears to replicate with disturbing speed, so that “the viral load of vaccinated and unvaccinated persons infected with SARS-CoV-2 is also similar,” said the CDC study. While breakthrough infections remain rare, when they do happen, they will almost certainly lead to heightened transmission.

So breakthrough infections are still rare but when they happen the viral load is much more likely to be high enough to infect others with Delta.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

🤡

I have a short October trip to WDW to celebrate my first year wedding anniversary. Staying at the Grand Floridian where we started our honeymoon ( but did not get a 3 bedroom villa this time) .

So I want this wave to be done by then since my wife will be 1 year since second shot then. I am a bit safer since I will be over 1 year since fully vaxxed but I got a booster 🤡(likely it was delta ) the hard-way in June.
For some reason I thought of this, we can all use a good laugh:

JoeCamel

🤡

Nope, Louisiana is #1, try harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom