Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawale

Legitimate question ahead :) :

I understand why we are masking again, no questions there. But I do wonder why those vaccinated seem to be in alarm over this development - alarm for themselves.

From reading the reports today - yes, we can now spread this variant as easily as the unvaccinated can, so thus the need for masks which I fully support, but your risk of severe disease is still very, very low. Vaccines are still 90% effective.

Why are we acting now as if suddenly vaccines don't work? They are working exactly as they are supposed to. They taught our bodies to fight Covid and it's working.

If anything, the news today should just offer stronger proof how dumb it is to NOT get vaccinated.
So why if the vaccinated won't get as sick do they have to mask? if there is a single unvaccinated person in the world will we all be expected to mask to 'protect' that person or would sanity eventually prevail?

dreday3

Last word on this. If this narrative is true and if this variant renders the vaccines much less effective and if vaccinated people are spreading Covid regularly then this wave won’t end any time soon under our current lifestyles. Returning to indoor masks isn’t going to move the needle. We should probably consider a return to stay at home orders and capacity restrictions and full masks all the time along with travel quarantines and recommendations to avoid elderly family and friends and anyone high risk. We are essentially back to March 2020 except this is apparently the most contagious disease known to man now. The really sobering reality is a 3rd booster shot is also useless against it. Another shot of the same vaccine isn’t going to help. We will need a whole new vaccine developed (if one can even be created) and that will take a minimum of 6 months to design, produce and test. Really grim stuff. For me I’ll continue to hope the vaccines still work and these situations are just rare occurrences and not the norm and hopefully we follow the same path as the UK and India where the wave comes and goes. The alternative is too difficult to consider. It goes well beyond the mask fight.

Just the part I quoted:

But what If everyone gets vaccinated (most everyone) - the vaccines do protect us from severity of illness (there will always be exceptions). Why would we need to do all of what you posted?
Hypothetically (because this isn't what is happening now) - If cases are up, but because we are all (mostly) vaccinated, hospitalizations and deaths are at a "normal" rate for normal times - why close down just because people are positive for Covid?

That's what really makes me nervous. People (not you) are expecting there to be zero cases of Covid. What people should expect is there will always be cases, sometimes higher during different seasons, but hospitalizations/deaths are not rising outside of norm. And people should be happy with that.

crawale

Are y
Worldwide the vaccination rate isn't even possible right now. For the USA, there is a percentage who won't be convinced. They'd rather risk serious illness or death than have their "DNA modified" or other insane beliefs.
Are you saying people don't have right to their own beliefs?

Kingoglow

So why if the vaccinated won't get as sick do they have to mask? if there is a single unvaccinated person in the world will we all be expected to mask to 'protect' that person or would sanity eventually prevail?
Because the vaccinated are trying to help others as well as themselves. For example, if vaccinated doctors and nurses go to work in a children's hospital, I would want them to wear a mask to prevent any asymptomatic spread of the virus to children. Children who cannot get vaccinated at this time and in some cases, their parents won't allow them to get vaccinated.

Hyperion

Not vaccinated. Five trips to FL since last July. I've seen the flights go from 38 people to 180 people during those trips. Everyone was wearing masks, and everyone was keeping their social distance. I've seen Main Street at Disneyworld go from 30 people to 800 people; same deal. I don't know who walked out of those situations and became sick, but I didn't. I'm not in the greatest shape as a 50+ person, but I still will not get a vaccine until it's out of emergency status. Up to this point, I put it in God's hands.
Since one of my family members died of COVID-19 in March 2020, I just guess God wasn’t a fan of him. What a pity since he left behind a grieving widow, three sons and 2 infant grandchildren he will never see grow up. Regardless of your religious beliefs, only us humans have been endowed with the gift of intelligence to be able to develop scientific methods of preventing/eliminating diseases. I have been vaccinated as has all of my family members and none of us has caught this virus, that is until it has the opportunity to further mutate due to people being anti-science. Unfortunately at that point (until we get boosters) when you and others continue to spread this plague without care for other human life we will slowly also start to get seriously sick and potentially die on a respirator tube alone. TLDR: Confirming COVID-19 death in my family, y’all need to get vaccinated and end this lethal plague as fast as possible.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

is vaccinated people is have to wear masks inside the Broadway theater, or they will change it into optional by fall? I hope they change it by late September or October. As before end of the year as the pandemic may ended in USA, as COVID-19 will no longer a threat anymore, so the masks will not be coming back ever by Christmas. @ImperfectPixie @DisneyCane @Touchdown

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I wonder what makes Cap Cod so different? In some places the spikes are as little as 10 percent vaccinated. Maybe the high number vaccinated so very few unvaccinated to infect? Serious question.
The only thing we know about the Cape Cod outbreak is the numbers. We don't know exposure times, proximity, etc. etc.

Mass holes?

…I kid…I kid…
HEY!!!

(In all seriousness, though, I live here and we really aren't fond of the summer people...most of them suck in a big way.)

Well, that's not really what I said/asked.

The vaccines are working as they should - preventing severe disease. People are now starting to act like the vaccines aren't working - they are.

The difference with Delta is we can spread/infect more easily, so we need to take precautions in areas of high transmission to protect those not vaccinated. And of course no one wants to get sick period, even if it's mild.

I'm not the one who thought the vaccine was a shield, I always knew there was a chance I could still catch Covid, but the disease would be less severe and my body would fight it.
It seems others thought vaccine meant you'd never get Covid and now think the vaccines are less effective - game over?

I guess I'm just saying - I believe the vaccines are still working exactly as they should, but this variant is more contagious so of course we should take extra precautions. As a vaccinated person though, I am not any more or less concerned about getting and fighting Covid.

(I am also bored at work! :D )
YES. The vaccine's ability to prevent initial infection and spread are what have taken a big hit. Only 0.79% of the people in the Cape Cod outbreak ended up in the hospital.

This is a completely new game for those who aren't vaccinated yet. Including kids. :(

mmascari

Legitimate question ahead :) :

I understand why we are masking again, no questions there. But I do wonder why those vaccinated seem to be in alarm over this development - alarm for themselves.

From reading the reports today - yes, we can now spread this variant as easily as the unvaccinated can, so thus the need for masks which I fully support, but your risk of severe disease is still very, very low. Vaccines are still 90% effective.

Why are we acting now as if suddenly vaccines don't work? They are working exactly as they are supposed to. They taught our bodies to fight Covid and it's working.

If anything, the news today should just offer stronger proof how dumb it is to NOT get vaccinated.
Most people on this thread expressing concern have someone in their life that is not able to vaccinate yet. Some have family members that are but have chosen not to yet.

The concern is that before the feeling was generally that while vaccinated you were not going to infect someone who wasn't. Maybe you feel a little off (maybe a lot if you're really unlucky), but super crazy unbelievably rare that you could infect someone. The change is that we've removed the "super crazy unbelievably" part, now it's just "rare". Which is still very good. The odds are still way in your favor. You're still personally protected from all those things. But, the odds have gone up that you could infect someone you would rather not. Even though it's a low risk, the impact is high, so best to avoid it. Beyond not personally doing that to someone, it also means those people need to look at everyone they run into with more care. Before, they could ignore any concern when interacting with a vaccinated person, but now have to give it some thought.

Once all those people are vaccinated, that concern will greatly drop.

We'll be left with the more general concern about rampant spread being allowed to continue and the long term implications of that. But, that's at least a less direct and immediate concern.

In my personal case, by the end of September, the last loved on in my direct family will be fully vaccinated. I'll breath a sigh of relief once we get there. Sure, I'll still have concern for others people's younger kids then. Especially some cousins under 12 that will need to wait longer. But, I'm ashamed to say, I'll probably be just fine letting all the adults who choose not to vaccinate by then suffer.

meyeet

This is a completely new game for those who aren't vaccinated yet. Including kids. :(
What is completely new about this? Those that aren't vaccinated are still at risk of becoming infected. Is the risk higher, maybe. When CNN inflates the numbers it becomes harder to tell what is real and what is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom