Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Right, but how many people in the population who were EXPOSED were vaccinated. Knowing that is the only way to know what the stats mean with respect to the effectiveness of the vaccine. Taking it to an extreme, if the 229 people who were not vaccinated and got infected were the only 229 people in Cape Cod who weren't vaccinated and were exposed then the effectiveness of the vaccine would be 99.999999% or something like that.
We DO have a high vaccination rate...64.07% fully vaccinated. But part of the problem is out-of-state people came from all over to celebrate the 4th. The ENTIRE population of P-town is only 2994 people.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
You have to be infected first to spread Covid. If the vaccines still have 80%+ efficacy for even mild infection then how can a vaccinated person spread Covid as effectively as an unvaccinated person? What has come out from the CDC guidance is that once a fully vaccinated person gets infected they can spread Covid to others. Why Fauci and the CDC are still saying that it’s a rare event and not the norm is the vaccines still have high efficacy. So it can happen, but not common. The more community spread there is the more likely a breakthrough infection so the mask guidance for fully vaccinated people was altered to include indoor masks.
I don't people are understanding this very well. They hear vaccinated people can spread the virus and think they're as much of the problem or are spreading it to the same extent as the unvaccinated. The part of the CDC announcement stating that vaccinated people passing along the virus is a rare event is not getting through - you really have to go to the original source material for some of this.

ImperfectPixie

Here's the WaPo article...

Here's the CDC document...

Here's the article about the Cape Cod outbreak...

disneygeek90

Not good, social distancing, no tables in R&C may mean less revenue, tips, staffing in food location.
I don't believe those tables are served, rather a place to sit inside while you drink after you've already been to the bar. Unless there's further proof of reducing restaurant capacity, I don't see that changing much other than just limiting unnecessary lingering.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't people are understanding this very well. They hear vaccinated people can spread the virus and think they're as much of the problem or are spreading it to the same extent as the unvaccinated. The part of the CDC announcement stating that vaccinated people passing along the virus is a rare event is not getting through - you really have to go to the original source material for some of this.
Someone posted the numbers earlier but 88% efficacy means if 300,000 unvaccinated people a week are being infected with Covid then 35,000 breakthrough infections occur. Since we are split 50/50 on vaccination the unvaccinated are being infected and spreading covid 9X as often. Those 35,000 won’t be spread exactly evenly so it’s not surprising to see anecdotal situations where an outbreak is skewed one way of the other. The Cape Cod thing is skewed one way and Orange County’s numbers are skewed the other.

ImperfectPixie

Someone posted the numbers earlier but 88% efficacy means if 300,000 unvaccinated people a week are being infected with Covid then 35,000 breakthrough infections occur. Since we are split 50/50 on vaccination the unvaccinated are being infected and spreading covid 9X as often. Those 35,000 won’t be spread exactly evenly so it’s not surprising to see anecdotal situations where an outbreak is skewed one way of the other. The Cape Cod thing is skewed one way and Orange County’s numbers are skewed the other.
That 35,000 number is likely very low though...people who have been vaccinated are far less likely to test if they only experience mild symptoms that could be mistaken for a cold or allergies...if they experience symptoms at all.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not good, social distancing, no tables in R&C may mean less revenue, tips, staffing in food location.
Were those tables first come first serve or could you reserve them with an ADR. There are going to be some really unhappy guests if their ADRs are suddenly canceled. It’s a pandemic, so they gotta do what they gotta do but I hope they notify people ASAP and should probably offer some sort of freebie to smooth it over.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That 35,000 number is likely very low though...people who have been vaccinated are far less likely to test if they only experience mild symptoms that could be mistaken for a cold or allergies...if they experience symptoms at all.
I can only go by the numbers we have. There are unvaccinated people not getting tested too. With the at home tests widely available a lot of people are not reporting their results if they test positive.

Disneydad1012

Were those tables first come first serve or could you reserve them with an ADR. There are going to be some really unhappy guests if their ADRs are suddenly canceled. It’s a pandemic, so they gotta do what they gotta do but I hope they notify people ASAP and should probably offer some sort of freebie to smooth it over.
Those were first come first serve in the bar area.

TrainsOfDisney

They were open seating. They are part of the bar, not part of the restaurant. In the past you could order a few food items like fish and chips but I think you always ordered at the bar and they delivered to your table. I used to hang out there a lot and listen to Pam and Carol play piano - but I would be sipping my Joffreys coffee!

disneygeek90

Almost positive those were just tables you could take your drink and sit at. They weren't table or drink service with a waiter.

Lilofan

I can see that outdoor patio being a very popular beer garden outside Rose&Crown including eats. Its a nice view of the fireworks too. Drinking warm Guinness on a warm night!

hopemax

The sticky wicket is the same problems as earlier in the pandemic: Rare means little, if all it takes is one to set off a new transmission chain. A vaccinated person is unaware of the moment when they are highly contagious. Without clarity on that key piece of information, people need to be mindful that any given moment they might be. Which is why we're back to masks. We don't know when or who.

There was a Twitter thread about Germany, where rapid tests are so cheap and available, that people take one before they gather, enter an amusement park, and kids are tested in schools twice a week. If vaccinated people could find out they were technically positive and likely infectious, as easily as we take a temperature or pregnancy test, that would be a "not-mask" tool that would be effective at diminishing the chance of spread. Assuming, people who got positive tests would actually isolate or mask for a few days, and not do the "I don't feel sick, so I'm going to go to this birthday party anyway." Which in the US, is a big assumption.

Instead, the only way vaccinated people know, is if they get tested like athletes (rare) or are sick enough to feel like they are willing to deal with a testing site, which means they've already been spreading it around (too late), or they're buying them 2/$20 from drug stores (not cheap, so not highly / frequently used). People are so resistant to every part of this, we went all in with the best bang for our buck... vaccines, and everything else fell away. Plus, there is no profit in cheap, rapid testing. Worse, if people can't even comprehend there is a need.

Lilofan

I don't believe those tables are served, rather a place to sit inside while you drink after you've already been to the bar. Unless there's further proof of reducing restaurant capacity, I don't see that changing much other than just limiting unnecessary lingering.
Last time I was there at Rose&Crown inside, was waiter service inside but maybe it has changed since then. I still enjoy the outdoor place outside R&C , fish and chips served on newspaper.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Those were first come first serve in the bar area.
They were open seating. They are part of the bar, not part of the restaurant. In the past you could order a few food items like fish and chips but I think you always ordered at the bar and they delivered to your table. I used to hang out there a lot and listen to Pam and Carol play piano - but I would be sipping my Joffreys coffee!
Almost positive those were just tables you could take your drink and sit at. They weren't table or drink service with a waiter.
Makes sense. I think it will be hard to do anywhere where they want to reduce capacity with ADRs but they may get to that point. Maybe enough people who are opposed to masks cancel like they are saying they will 🤔😳🤤

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
@GoofGoof By November or December, as NYC will have no longer mask mandate as millions of people are vaccinated as low cases and Delta variant will be low enough as future variants will be less dangerous. Is Northeast (NJ, NY, PA and CT) will going back to normal by November/December for fall/winter season. Then Thanksgiving and Christmas will be much better than last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom