Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Legitimate question ahead :) :

I understand why we are masking again, no questions there. But I do wonder why those vaccinated seem to be in alarm over this development - alarm for themselves.

From reading the reports today - yes, we can now spread this variant as easily as the unvaccinated can, so thus the need for masks which I fully support, but your risk of severe disease is still very, very low. Vaccines are still 90% effective.

Why are we acting now as if suddenly vaccines don't work? They are working exactly as they are supposed to. They taught our bodies to fight Covid and it's working.

If anything, the news today should just prove even more how dumb it is to NOT get vaccinated.
You should get vaccinated, you’re right but it’s not a Power Star, you are not invincible and it’s starting to affect kids. Pausing things for a month to have this blow over isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For the five thousandth time, there is nothing to "figure out." It is a virus. Viruses spread and infect people and make them sick. All mitigation does is delay the inevitable. You can argue that they bought time until the vaccines were available. Now they are available so there's nothing to buy time for.

As I remember saying a long time ago when the lockdown started, "what good are lockdowns because as soon as you open up it's just going to start spreading again."
You’re far from a medical expert…though you try to play one on the Internet…

I assume you’re just bored at work (like me) and that’s why you’re Randy savage on this?

you did the “it only affects old people” routine for months last year - if I do recall - and it skirted the “ma freedom” nonsense.

eventually you’ll tire…but the good news for everyone is I’m already running out of steam.

dreday3

You should get vaccinated, you’re right but it’s not a Power Star, you are not invincible and it’s starting to affect kids. Pausing things for a month to have this blow over isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Well, that's not really what I said/asked.

The vaccines are working as they should - preventing severe disease. People are now starting to act like the vaccines aren't working - they are.

The difference with Delta is we can spread/infect more easily, so we need to take precautions in areas of high transmission to protect those not vaccinated. And of course no one wants to get sick period, even if it's mild.

I'm not the one who thought the vaccine was a shield, I always knew there was a chance I could still catch Covid, but the disease would be less severe and my body would fight it.
It seems others thought vaccine meant you'd never get Covid and now think the vaccines are less effective - game over?

I guess I'm just saying - I believe the vaccines are still working exactly as they should, but this variant is more contagious so of course we should take extra precautions. As a vaccinated person though, I am not any more or less concerned about getting and fighting Covid.

(I am also bored at work! :D )

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I understand why we are masking again, no questions there. But I do wonder why those vaccinated seem to be in alarm over this development - alarm for themselves.

From reading the reports today - yes, we can now spread this variant as easily as the unvaccinated can, so thus the need for masks which I fully support, but your risk of severe disease is still very, very low. Vaccines are still 90% effective.

Why are we acting now as if suddenly vaccines don't work? They are working exactly as they are supposed to. They taught our bodies to fight Covid and it's working.

If anything, the news today should just offer stronger proof how dumb it is to NOT get vaccinated.
Everyone should already be vaccinated

the vaccines are working…people generally speaking are declining rapidly/dying from the Vid who have had them

they appear NOT to be providing full protection against spread/reinfection.
This part sucks…but it was a “bonus” to this point…not something the researchers promised.

I think the reality is we may end up is some form of the “second winter of covid”…and that sucks. It brings up more political fighting and economic manipulation.

Touchdown

The vaccines are working as they should - preventing severe disease. People are now starting to act like the vaccines aren't working - they are.

The difference with Delta is we can spread/infect more easily, so we need to take precautions in areas of high transmission.

I'm not the one who thought the vaccine was a shield, I always knew there was a chance I could still catch Covid, but the disease would be less severe and my body would fight it.
It seems others thought vaccine meant you'd never get Covid and now think the vaccines are less effective?
I thought my chance of spreading it was near zero and my chance of getting Covid not much more than that. Here’s things I don’t want to happen:

-Missing at least 2 weeks of work
-Infecting a child or someone who can’t get vaxxed for a medical reason
-Being worked straight because of a surge

This is going to pass, but I’m perfectly willing to let less worried people play Covid lottery hoping to roll the survivor tag, they will protect me going forward.

DisneyCane

You’re far from a medical expert…though you try to play one on the Internet…

I assume you’re just bored at work (like me) and that’s why you’re Randy savage on this?

you did the “it only affects old people” routine for months last year - if I do recall - and it skirted the “ma freedom” nonsense.

eventually you’ll tire…but the good news for everyone is I’m already running out of steam.
I never said I was a medical expert. I am somewhat of an expert in analyzing data and that's what most of my opinions about this have been based on. I never said it "only" affects old people, just that a drastically disproportionate effect was on the elderly which should factor into the decisions.

You are correct that boredom at work is a big factor in my posting frequency. When I disappear for a while it means I have stuff that actually needs to get done.

Heppenheimer

If anything, the news today should just offer stronger proof how dumb it is to NOT get vaccinated.
Easy answer. I have a child too young to get vaccinated and my wife is pregnant with another. We have nothing to lose being cautious, and everything to lose by being stupid. From what we know about delta now, even fully vaccinated individuals can spread it. And I'm at particularly high risk of exposure in my line of work.

We fortunately live in a rural area of the most vaccinated, least infected state in the country, but as we saw last fall and winter, even breakthroughs are possible here. It took one idiot playing broom ball while sick to spread it to the four corners of the state, and although the hospital system was never overloaded, COVID ripped through a few nursing homes and caused several deaths.

James J

In the Parks
No
This seems to be the plan in the uk.. whether I agree with it or not is incidental. I think the govt realised we weren’t reaching herd immunity through vaccination and decided to open up presumably letting the young get immunity the harder way.

we are at the point now where very few young people are coming forward for the vaccine, we aren’t vaccinating under 18s but as a country we are pretty broke! We need to open up and get moving again and that comes with a cost

mask mandates have been dropped virtually everywhere here (london public transport an exception) but most people are still wearing them in shops, transport etc - in fact to me use has grown since the mandate was dropped! Go figure the reasons why..

I've not found that to be the case where I've been, mask usage has most certainly dropped. I saw stats that backed this up earlier in the week which I'm currently searching for.

What I find beggars belief is that it's mostly the age group that aren't yet fully vaccinated who seem to have stopped wearing their masks. I was in Bristol at the weekend on a stag do, and found it was mostly under 25's who weren't masking anymore. Same where I live in Cheltenham. And of course I was masking whilst moving around indoors in bars/restaurant/hotel and ended up being pinged to isolate by the Covid App earlier this week...

Last edited:

dreday3

I thought my chance of spreading it was near zero and my chance of getting Covid not much more than that. Here’s things I don’t want to happen:

-Missing at least 2 weeks of work
-Infecting a child or someone who can’t get vaxxed for a medical reason
-Being worked straight because of a surge

This is going to pass, but I’m perfectly willing to let less worried people play Covid lottery hoping to roll the survivor tag, they will protect me going forward.

Thanks, you answered my question!

Not sure what your last statement means, but wear your mask and get vaccinated everyone!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The difference with Delta is we can spread/infect more easily, so we need to take precautions in areas of high transmission to protect those not vaccinated. And of course no one wants to get sick period, even if it's mild.

It seems others thought vaccine meant you'd never get Covid and now think the vaccines are less effective?

(I am also bored at work! :D )
Because if people are stilk spreading…it’s gonna leach out to the 50% of the country who didn’t bother or can’t get vaccinated yet. And that could be another health care crisis.

this was never formulated to consider “individual choice”. That’s not how health policy is made. It can’t be…it kills it.

so we failed the vaccine period. It was likely…but still a huge fail. Could be at 70%+ and just waiting kids…the delta may have had a harder time gaining strength/spread? We’ll never know.

instead we can deflect blame…standard operating procedure.

there are other threads yesterday who blamed the cdc for people not doing what they were told and getting the shots 4 months ago…

honestly? You think the kooks who messed this up even know what “CDC” stands for??
They’re distracted counting days to the nfl season 🙄

Last edited:

dreday3

Easy answer. I have a child too young to get vaccinated and my wife is pregnant with another. We have nothing to lose being cautious, and everything to lose by being stupid.

We fortunately live in a rural area of the most vaccinated, least infected state in the country, but as we saw last fall and winter, even breakthroughs are possible here. It took one idiot playing broom ball while sick to spread it to the four corners of the state, and although the hospital system was never overloaded, COVID ripped through a few nursing homes and caused several deaths.

Thanks! My question pertained to more about people seem to be more alarmed for themselves, personally catching Covid. I didn't realize people thought it possible not to get Covid at all with the vaccines. But I think I now understand. I'm probably not explaining myself well.

What worries me is now seeing the sentiment - even if you're vaccinated, you're screwed. That's not a good message.

Infecting others - I understand the alarm in that and wanting to take precautions.

Last edited:

crawale

Please let us remember a COVID 'case' is just a positive test and does not represent a death directly attributed to COVID. The figures we are getting are able to separate COVID from the flu.

DisneyCane

Letting the masses be infected won't work.. the virus is mutating and fast. Soon with enough hosts to do so it will be a variety that dosnt get stopped by the current vaccine.
This mantra keeps being repeated but I would like to pose the question of if it is really true or not. Isn't a virus less likely to mutate and evade defenses if it is spreading easily?

Bacteria don't become antibiotic resistant (the ones that weren't to start with) until antibiotics are overused. I always thought that was an example of Darwinism. If the bacteria isn't being killed off by antibiotics, it has no need to evolve to resist them.

Is it the same with a virus with respect to vaccines? Delta is thriving. Doesn't a random mutation have just as much chance to make it less contagious as more and therefore, why would it "want" to mutate?

I'm genuinely asking the question so if there is a real expert in these things, please answer.

Disorbust

The problem with letting Delta rip through is it gives it an opportunity to create more variance all the way down the Greek alphabet to the point where one figures out how to work around the vaccine. I also think we’re at a point where it’s not a matter of us letting it do anything it’s just going to happen if you consider the fact that kids can’t get vaccinated, that Israel is boosting those over 60 And we aren’t,there’s just too many opportunities to infect more bodies.
Even if all those unvaccinated wake up today and decide today’s the day I’m going to do it and get vaccinated it will still take up to five weeks to get full immunity.

macefamily

Not vaccinated. Five trips to FL since last July. I've seen the flights go from 38 people to 180 people during those trips. Everyone was wearing masks, and everyone was keeping their social distance. I've seen Main Street at Disneyworld go from 30 people to 800 people; same deal. I don't know who walked out of those situations and became sick, but I didn't. I'm not in the greatest shape as a 50+ person, but I still will not get a vaccine until it's out of emergency status. Up to this point, I put it in God's hands.

Turtlekrawl

Just out of curiosity why do you think the wave will be over by then? Also I did the math. Out of 162M people fully vaxxed there were 35000 breakthrough cases. That is .02%. That's not great but not bad either. I have to think the total number of breakthroughs that are spreading it could be less than that.

Bottom line is get vaccinated!!!
There are way more than 35,000 breakthrough cases at this point. Vaccinated people haven’t been getting tested as much the last couple months.

disneygeek90

Not vaccinated. Five trips to FL since last July. I've seen the flights go from 38 people to 180 people during those trips. Everyone was wearing masks, and everyone was keeping their social distance. I've seen Main Street at Disneyworld go from 30 people to 800 people; same deal. I don't know who walked out of those situations and became sick, but I didn't. I'm not in the greatest shape as a 50+ person, but I still will not get a vaccine until it's out of emergency status. Up to this point, I put it in God's hands.
I'd re-evaluate that if you plan on going back anytime soon. The parks are much different than last July, and even a lot different than a few months ago.

What exactly are you worried about as it pertains to the vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom