Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaughingGravy

Here is the original article ( more pictures not sure if there is more text).

Sad that some people as they show in the article do/did not understand how vaccinations work or why they should have gotten them before getting covid.

IMO, this is a direct result of a lack of education either willfully, through constant voting down of increases in budgets for education, or both. Here are long term consequences. Sometimes that long term may only be a generation or two.

correcaminos

This is a completely useless observation. The life expectancy for somebody born in the past year hasn't changed one iota. It's just a retroactive calculation based on the age of people who have died over the course of the year. Since COVID cut lives short especially in the elderly population it is reflected in the life expectancy calculation. If COVID is still around in 70 years (I certainly won't be) without available vaccines then it would mean something.

My main take away from the article is to figure out what I can do to emulate hispanic people and get to their higher life expectancy.
Uh whaaaaaa? That was your take away? In spite of a lot of socioeconomic issues hispanics outlive due to resilience to disease. Not sure that's something you can "emulate" you either got the genes or ya don't. But notice the drastic drop in age? Especially males.

hopemax

This looks fun, NOT. That's over halfway to the winter peak.

My Dad asked if I was still coming to visit, since I kept re-booking before vaccines. (I fly back to MCO on 8/9). I said, I was, since I am vaccinated. But I might wear my mask indoors more than he does. I do not want to get sick on vacation.

Disney Analyst

My Dad asked if I was still coming to visit, since I kept re-booking before vaccines. (I fly back to MCO on 8/9). I said, I was, since I am vaccinated. But I might wear my mask indoors more than he does. I do not want to get sick on vacation.

But everything’s fine… Florida has been open since last year, nothing to see here. Desantis will protect all. 🙄

(Sarcasm of course).

oceanbreeze77

🙃
it feels like we are just going in circles.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just popped in to share some positive news. In a recent real world study from the UK the Pfizer vaccine is 88% effective at preventing even mild Covid infection from delta variant when both doses are complete.

Since Moderna is very similar to Pfizer on original efficacy it’s probably a good assumption that the Moderna vaccine has a similar efficacy level vs delta. AZ was lower than Pfizer but still effective 2/3 of the time. The drop off for AZ efficacy may explain why the UK has seen some more breakthrough infections than we have seen here in the US. The moral of the story is get the vaccine…it still works exceptionally well. There’s a reason why almost all hospitalizations and deaths in the US are now in the unvaccinated group.

On a local note our cases have increased slightly, but are still looking pretty good and well below the 3 cases per 100,000 target and still below 1% in percent positive. More importantly in a county of 830,000+ people we only have 12 covid patients in hospitals (2 on ventilators). I attribute that to the high vaccination rate. Hope it continues and unvaccinated people see this trend and take the jab.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

They also need to download the ArriveCanada app and upload proof of vaccination. I do have to wonder if that's a reason for delay in reopening. Considering many US border state leaders have been pushing for it reopen.

Yeah, the USA is opposed to any sort of vaccine passport for some reason.

I was surprised this announcement didn't apply to both directions, but if Canada had truly opened the border (i.e. no testing, maybe just proof of vaccine) I think it would have.

Ariel1986

Here is the original article ( more pictures not sure if there is more text).

Sad that some people as they show in the article do/did not understand how vaccinations work or why they should have gotten them before getting covid.

IMO, this is a direct result of a lack of education either willfully, through constant voting down of increases in budgets for education, or both. Here are long term consequences. Sometimes that long term may only be a generation or two.

Right, except…

8DFDC2AE-84EE-43CE-88F0-8FB38B389695.jpeg

So which one of these 0 deaths in people aged under 40 in Alabama (where she supposedly works) the last 4 months was it- that she was hugging the relatives of in sympathy? Also hugging strangers after working with positive patients is allowed now?

It’s ironic how so many say to fact check…

LaughingGravy

Right, except…

View attachment 573902

So which one of these 0 deaths in people aged under 40 in Alabama (where she supposedly works) the last 4 months was it- that she was hugging the relatives of in sympathy? Also hugging strangers after working with positive patients is allowed now?

Your chart above shows July, suggesting July data is in. It's July 22 as I type this. If you really and truly believe there were no Covid-19 deaths in Alabama except for in May of 2021 with a quantity of 18 and June of 2021 with 14 (which doesn't make sense to me ( i.e. what is the 14 based on for June aged 40-49 based on if there are blanks in the same row?)), it absolutely proves my point about a lack of education. Also, why the zeros and then blank data, not even zeros?

ImperfectPixie

Your chart above shows July, suggesting July data is in. It's July 22 as I type this. If you really and truly believe there were no Covid-19 deaths in Alabama except for in May of 2021 with a quantity of 18 and June of 2021 with 14 (which doesn't make sense to me ( i.e. what is the 14 based on for June aged 40-49 based on if there are blanks in the same row?)), it absolutely proves my point about a lack of education. Also, why the zeros and then blank data, not even zeros?
The CDC data says there were 151 deaths in Alabama during the past month.

ETA: Reuters says that 44 of those were in the week ending 7/18/21.

Lilofan

The CDC data says there were 151 deaths in Alabama during the past month.

ETA: Reuters says that 44 of those were in the week ending 7/18/21.
My cousin and her husband both contacted and survived Covid and they are health care professionals in Louisiana. It is really bad in LA. We may be the most advanced country in the world but we are certainly not up there in brain smarts.

mgf

Right, except…

View attachment 573902

Let's set COVID aside for a second. Just wanted to point something out:

This may be a legit data source, but it is not clean data. Look at the right-hand column. Columns [1]+[2]+[3] should = [4]. It does not. That means either the calculation is incorrect, the data is "dirty" or missing, the labeling is poor, and/or we need to consult the data definitions to make more sense of what is being reported.

This is an example of a table that cannot be taken at face value -- regardless of what you hope the data show.

DisneyCane

Uh whaaaaaa? That was your take away? In spite of a lot of socioeconomic issues hispanics outlive due to resilience to disease. Not sure that's something you can "emulate" you either got the genes or ya don't. But notice the drastic drop in age? Especially males.
It was meant more as a joke. I noticed that pre-COVID that Hispanics had higher life expectancy than Caucasians by a few years and it was a trait that I wish I could emulate.

I did notice the significant drop for Hispanics but it wasn't surprising based on the data of the disproportionate deaths among Hispanics especially early on. Unfortunately, the various factors which led to that couldn't be fixed quickly enough to prevent it. That's why I hope that as many Hispanics as possible who are vaccine hesitant get convinced not to be. If they get vaccinated, then those other issues won't come into play for them.

DisneyCane

Can anyone tell me why I see news articles like this one claim that "Florida is only 47% vaccinated" when the actual number is closer to 60%? This is not the first new source I've seen make this statement.

Every site I see quotes around 47%. Is it possible the 60% is the percentage of the adult population?
According to the official report from FL, the total population is 21,975,117 and the 12+ population is 19,119,043. As of 7/15, 11,292,335 had at least one dose and 9,780,017 had completed the vaccination series. That means 51.4% of the population and 59% of the 12+ population has had at least one dose. 44.5% of the population and 51.2% of the 12+ population have completed the series.

The CDC shows higher percentages in all categories. I think it is because they count all vaccines administered in FL where the FL report is only counting residents. They are using the same population as the denominator in the calculation.

There are a lot more people in the one dose but not series complete category than there should be so it is concerning to me that there seem to be a large number of people (close to a million by my estimate) that got the first dose but didn't return for the second dose.

Jwink

Yeah… and it’s just now gearing up 😳

correcaminos

It was meant more as a joke. I noticed that pre-COVID that Hispanics had higher life expectancy than Caucasians by a few years and it was a trait that I wish I could emulate.

I did notice the significant drop for Hispanics but it wasn't surprising based on the data of the disproportionate deaths among Hispanics especially early on. Unfortunately, the various factors which led to that couldn't be fixed quickly enough to prevent it. That's why I hope that as many Hispanics as possible who are vaccine hesitant get convinced not to be. If they get vaccinated, then those other issues won't come into play for them.
Ah sorry I missed the tone. I know my family has been doing their part. Seems with many out there who are marginalized, if they see great outcomes of loved ones, they are more willing to try. In part of why I've been so vocal and did my part to get family their shots asap (well outside of my BIL, who is insanely hard to get a hold of and stay on the phone for long enough to talk lol). I have a cousin who refuses still but oddly she denies her heritage and has joined groups of crazy Trumpers thanks to her fiancé, but her sister was one of the first to get it at least. Sadly she had a freak allergic reaction to the 2nd dose and was advised no more if boosters. Ripping the family apart... but we're all trying here at least.

A lot of Native American tribes have pulled together to do similar. It really has worked. Seeing your own really helps. Wish we could do more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom