Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

This is a completely useless observation. The life expectancy for somebody born in the past year hasn't changed one iota. It's just a retroactive calculation based on the age of people who have died over the course of the year. Since COVID cut lives short especially in the elderly population it is reflected in the life expectancy calculation. If COVID is still around in 70 years (I certainly won't be) without available vaccines then it would mean something.

My main take away from the article is to figure out what I can do to emulate hispanic people and get to their higher life expectancy.
Got it. Wow. Didn’t expect anything else really from your post. Guess you missed the whole point about structural racism and how this just shows how big of a impact it can have on certain portions of our nation. I get it, it’s all about me. You have been against scientists time and again here..now you say it’s no big deal, going against epidemiologist…etc. Your opinion and you are entitled to it but I will continue to listen to the experts and not to someone on a Disney thread spouting since the beginning about this isn’t a big deal unless you are elderly. Never seeing outside the narrow view in front to see what’s actually happening on the sides.

ImperfectPixie

If we forget all other metrics, political party, gender, race etc and just looked at this by education level, I would be Curious to see what we find.

We don’t really have a good way to sort by overall intelligence, so eduction level will have to be the next best thing.

I think this goes deeper than politics ( yes I understand that politics screwed this all up ) I think you would be more inclined to buy into certain things if your education is sub par.

Full disclosure I have 0 education, and my family is fully vaccinated so maybe I’m wrong.
I think that's definitely a factor large enough to make a difference. Education even at the k-12 levels can vary extremely widely even from town to town and county to county.

DisneyDebRob

If we forget all other metrics, political party, gender, race etc and just looked at this by education level, I would be Curious to see what we find.

We don’t really have a good way to sort by overall intelligence, so eduction level will have to be the next best thing.

I think this goes deeper than politics ( yes I understand that politics screwed this all up ) I think you would be more inclined to buy into certain things if your education is sub par.

Full disclosure I have 0 education, and my family is fully vaccinated so maybe I’m wrong.
It does go deeper then politics but that’s a big part of it. I’m not going to oink it but just watch another argument between Fauci and a leader we elected yesterday. It’s about a 10 minute exchange and Fauci was correct in everything. But people will watch it and take sides which makes it political.

DisneyCane

Here is the original article ( more pictures not sure if there is more text).

Sad that some people as they show in the article do/did not understand how vaccinations work or why they should have gotten them before getting covid.

I don't believe those quotes that the family members supposedly said to her. Way too many buzz phrases that people who want to blame everything on one particular person use.

It's possible a few have asked for the vaccine before being intubated. Certainly not all of them. I would think that once somebody is that sick they aren't doing much talking at all, let alone begging for a vaccine.

If her story gets people to get vaccinated then that's a good thing even if she mostly made it up.

GimpYancIent

These questions could likely be answered if the CCP shared the raw data from the early days of the pandemic. But as the WHO just recently said, they haven't....so here we are, making assumptions based on incomplete data (yes, even you the expert). For us that are not in this field, we can only look at reports coming out (which are minimal still, but, such as researchers at the lab becoming sick with COVID like symptoms in the fall of 2019) and common sense.
One thing no one understands; "Losing face in Chinese culture is about more than being embarrassed. In Chinese culture, you spend your entire life trying to build your social prestige and reputation, while also trying to avoid causing anyone else to lose theirs. You gain face less by individual achievement and more by promoting social harmony and by being seen as helpful." The failure of the government of The Peoples Republic of China in the handling of the COVID19 virus not just within the province of Wuhan but with the borders of China is a great embarrassment to the entire country. It is entirely within the cultural mindset to not be forthcoming and defensive in anything dealing with COVID19.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't believe those quotes that the family members supposedly said to her. Way too many buzz phrases that people who want to blame everything on one particular person use.

It's possible a few have asked for the vaccine before being intubated. Certainly not all of them. I would think that once somebody is that sick they aren't doing much talking at all, let alone begging for a vaccine.

If her story gets people to get vaccinated then that's a good thing even if she mostly made it up.

At the risk of getting into politics, maybe they use those works because that particular person also used those words.

DisneyCane

At the risk of getting into politics, maybe they use those works because that particular person also used those words.
The way she told the story she made it out like she was hearing these things all the time. Honestly, family members of the deceased who believed those things would more likely be trying to blame somebody else, not admitting what they believed.

oceanbreeze77

I'm just gonna say it...I'm not saying this to get political, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything but the amount of republican leaders speaking out in favor of getting the vaccine within the last week speaks volumes. It has me asking "what do they know," "what do they expect might happen," etc. its an interesting, and WELCOME change in the wind. Still would like to see more leaders regardless of political affiliation speak in support of it, but the change is notable.

Again I'm not saying this to be political, but it is something that is occurring and should be noted.

ImperfectPixie

I'm just gonna say it...I'm not saying this to get political, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything but the amount of republican leaders speaking out in favor of getting the vaccine within the last week speaks volumes. It has me asking "what do they know," "what do they expect might happen," etc. its an interesting, and WELCOME change in the wind. Still would like to see more leaders regardless of political affiliation speak in support of it, but the change is notable.

Again I'm not saying this to be political, but it is something that is occurring and should be noted.
It's about stinkin' time.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The U.S. land border will remain closed to non-essential travel until at least Aug. 21, according to a renewal order issued by the American government Wednesday.

In a notice pre-published in the U.S. Federal Register, the U.S. government says that while vaccination rates have improved, opening the land border to non-essential travel still poses too great a risk.

"Given the outbreak and continued transmission and spread of COVID-19 within the United States and globally, the Secretary has determined that the risk of continued transmission and spread of the virus associated with COVID-19 between the United States and Canada poses an ongoing specific threat to human life or national interests," says the U.S. government notice.

The new order expires one minute before midnight on Aug. 21.

The Department of Homeland Security issued a statement that offered little additional explanation.

"To decrease the spread of COVID-19, including the Delta variant, the United States is extending restrictions on non-essential travel at our land and ferry crossings with Canada and Mexico through August 21, while ensuring the continued flow of essential trade and travel," wrote DHS spokesperson Angelo Fernández Hernández.

"DHS is in constant contact with Canadian and Mexican counterparts to identify the conditions under which restrictions may be eased safely and sustainably."

The American order comes only a few days after the Canadian government announced its land border would open to fully vaccinated U.S. citizens on Aug. 9 and to fully vaccinated travellers from other countries on Sept. 7."

"Speaking to reporters today, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said he has been working closely with U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas, who informed him of the U.S. government's plan to keep its land border closed to non-essential travel.

"There are a number of considerations that I know that the American government is currently undertaking with respect to their borders and that work will continue," he said.

Blair said the U.S. policy doesn't affect Canada's decision to open its border next month."

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
"The U.S. land border will remain closed to non-essential travel until at least Aug. 21, according to a renewal order issued by the American government Wednesday.

In a notice pre-published in the U.S. Federal Register, the U.S. government says that while vaccination rates have improved, opening the land border to non-essential travel still poses too great a risk.

"Given the outbreak and continued transmission and spread of COVID-19 within the United States and globally, the Secretary has determined that the risk of continued transmission and spread of the virus associated with COVID-19 between the United States and Canada poses an ongoing specific threat to human life or national interests," says the U.S. government notice.

The Department of Homeland Security issued a statement that offered little additional explanation.

"To decrease the spread of COVID-19, including the Delta variant, the United States is extending restrictions on non-essential travel at our land and ferry crossings with Canada and Mexico through August 21, while ensuring the continued flow of essential trade and travel," wrote DHS spokesperson Angelo Fernández Hernández.

"DHS is in constant contact with Canadian and Mexican counterparts to identify the conditions under which restrictions may be eased safely and sustainably."

The American order comes only a few days after the Canadian government announced its land border would open to fully vaccinated U.S. citizens on Aug. 9 and to fully vaccinated travellers from other countries on Sept. 7."

"Speaking to reporters today, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said he has been working closely with U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas, who informed him of the U.S. government's plan to keep its land border closed to non-essential travel.

"There are a number of considerations that I know that the American government is currently undertaking with respect to their borders and that work will continue," he said.

Blair said the U.S. policy doesn't affect Canada's decision to open its border next month."

Booo! Worst decision in the history of the world.

Epcotfan21

Can anyone tell me why I see news articles like this one claim that "Florida is only 47% vaccinated" when the actual number is closer to 60%? This is not the first new source I've seen make this statement.

Communicora

Premium Member

Can anyone tell me why I see news articles like this one claim that "Florida is only 47% vaccinated" when the actual number is closer to 60%? This is not the first new source I've seen make this statement.
Every site I see quotes around 47%. Is it possible the 60% is the percentage of the adult population?

Epcotfan21

Every site I see quotes around 47%. Is it possible the 60% is the percentage of the adult population?
Well that would be a more accurate percentage to quote, no? Since individuals 12 and older are the only ones eligible for the vaccine? If they're using the total population, they're just using percentages that's aren't accurate.

Wendy Pleakley

Strange in that the USA seemed more eager to open the border than Canada. Of course, my perception has been influenced by the "COVID is over" approach in Florida being discussed here, the federal response is understandably different.

It's still a "partial opening" in the sense a COVID test is necessary to enter Canada. People with relatives or long vacations might do it, but I imagine the casual day trips won't occur anywhere near pre-COVID numbers.

Considering Canadians are vaccinated in greater numbers than Americans, it's a bit surprising. To say nothing of the decision to forgo those valuable summer tourist dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom