Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendy Pleakley

Yet there is nothing stopping Canadians from flying into the US. this *still* makes absolutely no sense.

I guess flying offers more control or less people crossing the border in general?

Maybe the risk of vehicle travel is seen as greater because it's primarily going to be cross border shoppers going into stores and malls?

The risk should be minimal if proof of vaccination is required, but the USA has been reluctant to require that for some reason. I'd feel less at risk by someone whose vaccinated versus someone who passed a test a couple of days ago where I have no idea how safe they've been since.

mmascari

Well that would be a more accurate percentage to quote, no? Since individuals 12 and older are the only ones eligible for the vaccine? If they're using the total population, they're just using percentages that's aren't accurate.
It depends on what you want to use the number for. What are you trying to measure?
  • When we first started, or if you're worried about the most at risk people, then over 65, at least one dose 91% may be a good choice. Or if you're more conservative, 80% fully vaccinated.
  • If you're trying to target adults to encourage them to vaccinate, 67% over 18 with one dose. Or, 58% fully vaccinated if you're worried they're skipping the second dose.
  • If you're encouraging everyone who is authorized, then the over 12 number, 64% or 55% for one dose or fully.
  • If you're trying to say how many people walking around sharing air previously in their lungs, perhaps so you can decide if you should take an eleven year old their to share that air, then 56% at one dose may be good, but more conservatively, 48% fully vaccinated. Using 47.9% and dropping the decimal instead of rounding for "reasons", but that does feel wrong, either use 47.9% or 48% rounded correctly. Using 47% is sloppy.
So, in summary, the percentage vaccinated in FL is one of these: 47.9%, 48%, 56%, 55%, 64%, 58%, 67%, 80% or 91%.

The "more accurate" number depends entirely on what you're actually trying to measure.

Planning travel for an unvaccinated kid, I'm going to use 48%.
Planning travel for a fully vaccinated adult, especially if you avoid kids under 18 on the trip, 67% is probably just as good.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
is this next wave is going to be big massive one by fall/winter because Delta variant. I'm so scared about this one.:eek:

Disney Analyst

B.C. !! HEYO!!

“As of Wednesday, July 21, 2021, 80.1% (3,711,930) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 55.6% (2,577,909) have received their second dose.

In addition, 81.1% (3,507,707) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 59.0% (2,552,325) have received their second dose.”

dreday3

Everyone should just accept the fact that most likely we are all going to get some form of Covid at some point. But the thing is, if you are vaccinated, it will 99.999999% be very mild.

So while masks may have to come back for a bit indoors, I think that will be the brunt of any mitigations. Also, with the amount we have vaccinated, take comfort in the fact we won't come anywhere close to the death levels we were reaching before vaccines.

We don't have kids, we are fully vaccinated, come hell or high water, we will be at WDW in October, mask or no mask! :D

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Everyone should just accept the fact that most likely we are all going to get some form of Covid at some point. But the thing is, if you are vaccinated, it will 99.999999% be very mild.

So while masks may have to come back for a bit indoors, I think that will be the brunt of any mitigations. Also, with the amount we have vaccinated, take comfort in the fact we won't come anywhere close to the death levels we were reaching before vaccines.

We don't have kids, we are fully vaccinated, come hell or high water, we will be at WDW in October, mask or no mask! :D
Masks may have to come back for a bit indoors forever....NOOOO!!!

Disney Experience

Vaccines help but what the Pfizer research site told me back in June is that if you are vaccinated and still get covid it is about 90 or 91% ( can’t remember exact number because I had a 102.9 fever at that time ) likely you will get asymptomatic or mild. Not 99.99999999.
Even if you get more than mild it then extremely likely it will be moderate ( like I had which in itself will change the study percent risk of moderate).

dreday3

Vaccines help but what the Pfizer research site told me back in June is that if you are vaccinated and still get covid it is about 90 or 91% ( can’t remember exact number because I had a 102.9 fever at that time ) likely you will get asymptomatic or mild. Not 99.99999999.
Even if you get more than mild it then extremely likely it will be moderate ( like I had which in itself will change the study percent risk of moderate).

It wasn't exactly a scientific post.
More of a feeling post. (I thought the extra .99999999 would give away that fact....)

I forget where I am sometimes, a panel of experts.

Disney Experience

It wasn't exactly a scientific post.
More of a feeling post. (I thought the extra .99999999 would give away that fact....)

I forget where I am sometimes, a panel of experts.
I understand but some people might think the number was trying to be telling of the relative risk rather than someone saying it is unlikely to get anything worst than mild. Sometimes it is hard to tell when someone is exaggerating vs communicating a true estimated risk.

Of course what the research site told me during my covid experience ( almost sounds like a ride name.. “covid experience” .. come ride the newest dark ride.. I do not think I would get many takers) may have overestimated the chance of moderate or worse covid. The study does not know if you got asymptomatic covid, it was not designed to. They would have to use some other info to come to their conclusion. So their estimate of risk may be off.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I don't want US will go back shut down again like last year ever again because Delta variants as future variants soon...:cry::cry::cry:

willtravel

"The U.S. land border will remain closed to non-essential travel until at least Aug. 21, according to a renewal order issued by the American government Wednesday.

In a notice pre-published in the U.S. Federal Register, the U.S. government says that while vaccination rates have improved, opening the land border to non-essential travel still poses too great a risk.

"Given the outbreak and continued transmission and spread of COVID-19 within the United States and globally, the Secretary has determined that the risk of continued transmission and spread of the virus associated with COVID-19 between the United States and Canada poses an ongoing specific threat to human life or national interests," says the U.S. government notice.

The new order expires one minute before midnight on Aug. 21.

The Department of Homeland Security issued a statement that offered little additional explanation.

"To decrease the spread of COVID-19, including the Delta variant, the United States is extending restrictions on non-essential travel at our land and ferry crossings with Canada and Mexico through August 21, while ensuring the continued flow of essential trade and travel," wrote DHS spokesperson Angelo Fernández Hernández.

"DHS is in constant contact with Canadian and Mexican counterparts to identify the conditions under which restrictions may be eased safely and sustainably."

The American order comes only a few days after the Canadian government announced its land border would open to fully vaccinated U.S. citizens on Aug. 9 and to fully vaccinated travellers from other countries on Sept. 7."

"Speaking to reporters today, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said he has been working closely with U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas, who informed him of the U.S. government's plan to keep its land border closed to non-essential travel.

"There are a number of considerations that I know that the American government is currently undertaking with respect to their borders and that work will continue," he said.

Blair said the U.S. policy doesn't affect Canada's decision to open its border next month."

How does this affect the southern border?

Jrb1979

Strange in that the USA seemed more eager to open the border than Canada. Of course, my perception has been influenced by the "COVID is over" approach in Florida being discussed here, the federal response is understandably different.

It's still a "partial opening" in the sense a COVID test is necessary to enter Canada. People with relatives or long vacations might do it, but I imagine the casual day trips won't occur anywhere near pre-COVID numbers.

Considering Canadians are vaccinated in greater numbers than Americans, it's a bit surprising. To say nothing of the decision to forgo those valuable summer tourist dollars.
They also need to download the ArriveCanada app and upload proof of vaccination. I do have to wonder if that's a reason for delay in reopening. Considering many US border state leaders have been pushing for it reopen.

BuddyThomas

First, this is NOT a political article.

Second, if you’ve been vaccinated and are worried about “breakthrough cases”, this is a very helpful and informative read.

Third, if you haven’t been vaccinated and are able to be, now is the time to do so before it is too late.

Trauma

First, this is NOT a political article.

Second, if you’ve been vaccinated and are worried about “breakthrough cases”, this is a very helpful and informative read.

Third, if you haven’t been vaccinated and are able to be, now is the time to do so before it is too late.

Thanks for the article !

I will continue to not worry at all.

I will continue to try to convince those who should worry to get vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom