Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

I am sure someone will say I am a doom and gloomer but is anyone following the UK situation?https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk...9-cases-highest-daily-total-month-2021-05-20/
Again, restrictions have dropped and these varients are more infectious. If you aren’t vaccinated the coming months you are probably in more danger then ever. The key metrics to follow is infected vaccinated people, and child infective rates.

If those start to go up then panic, otherwise, behold the brutality of the survival of the fittest doctrine in action. If youre an adult in Britain or the US and haven’t gotten the vaccine it’s because you chose not to, if you get sick you have only yourself to blame.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am sure someone will say I am a doom and gloomer but is anyone following the UK situation?https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk...9-cases-highest-daily-total-month-2021-05-20/
Very unfortunate to see. This is why we have to be very careful opening the doors on International travel. The silver lining is that so far the initial studies appear to show the vaccines are still highly effective vs that variant:

The findings, posted to bioRxiv late Monday ahead of peer review, suggested the B.1.617.1 variant dealt an approximate seven-fold reduction in protection from prior infection and vaccination. However, the majority of blood samples from prior infection and all samples from vaccinated individuals appeared to remain effective at blocking the variant.

So if you are fully vaccinated it shouldn’t be a huge deal if it comes here, but the variant is more contagious than the traditional Covid we have seen here so could rip through states with lower vaccination rates. It’s particularly concerning to me that a handful of states still have over a quarter of their 65+ population without a dose of vaccine. If a variant driven surge happens that’s a lot of high risk people who could potentially fill ICUs and unfortunately morgues :(

ABQ

I'm not saying this is much ado about nothing, but the way this article is written makes it sound as if the case count of 2,874 on Thursday is some huge percentage over the past few days. Yes, they are not lying that is the highest in a month, but it's not beyond belief higher. Please see for yourself worldmeters
1621605732673.png

dreday3

I'm not saying this is much ado about nothing, but the way this article is written makes it sound as if the case count of 2,874 on Thursday is some huge percentage over the past few days. Yes, they are not lying that is the highest in a month, but it's not beyond belief higher. Please see for yourself worldmeters
View attachment 559220

The same article also reports low hospitalizations:

The overall incidence of infections in Britain is still low, while the number of people in hospital with COVID-19 fell to its lowest level since September on Thursday.

The Mom

Premium Member
The same article also reports low hospitalizations:

The overall incidence of infections in Britain is still low, while the number of people in hospital with COVID-19 fell to its lowest level since September on Thursday.
I don't know how many times it has to be stated, but this vaccine does not 100% protect you from catching Covid. It just reduces your chances of having a severe case significantly.

Sort of like sunscreen. It will not prevent you from getting a sunburn (any redness is still a burn) but will reduce your chances of getting a severe burn. And those who are more likely to get a burn (fair-skinned redheads, for example) should avoid being in the sun as much as possible. Just as those at greater risk for worse cases of Covid should continue to wear a mask.

My neighbor has just been diagnosed with cancer - again - and will be starting chemo. I am giving her my unused masks, and will wear a mask when around her while she is receiving it.

Flugell

Living in the U.K. the Indian variant is a cause for concern but not full blown worry. It seems to be more infectious than the previous variants but the vaccinations appear to remain effective. This is based on the fact that cases amongst the over 60s have barely moved but amongst the younger population, who have had much less time to get vaccinated or still aren’t eligible, they have risen steeply.
The government have identified areas where the spread is greatest and have set up mass testing and vaccination sites in the areas. They also have people going round knocking on doors delivering tests and arranging for vaccinations. They are also ensuring that information is available in a variety of languages if required.
So although cases are increasing:-

On 06/05 2613 new cases were reported.
On 13/05 2656 new cases were reported.
On 20/05 2874 new cases were reported.

Deaths continue to fall at the moment:-

On 06/05 13 deaths were reported.
On 13/05. 11 deaths were reported.
On 20/05 7 deaths were reported.

These figures are for the whole of the U.K. and taken from

Hope this explains why we are currently concerned but not panicking!

dreday3

I don't know how many times it has to be stated, but this vaccine does not 100% protect you from catching Covid. It just reduces your chances of having a severe case significantly.

Sort of like sunscreen. It will not prevent you from getting a sunburn (any redness is still a burn) but will reduce your chances of getting a severe burn. And those who are more likely to get a burn (fair-skinned redheads, for example) should avoid being in the sun as much as possible. Just as those at greater risk for worse cases of Covid should continue to wear a mask.

My neighbor has just been diagnosed with cancer - again - and will be starting chemo. I am giving her my unused masks, and will wear a mask when around her while she is receiving it.

I agree.

That's why I'm hoping at some point the news stops reporting all positive cases and just sticks to hospitalizations/deaths. Obviously CDC will still keep track. But John Q Public doesn't really need to know every time a person is diagnosed with covid if it's not severe.

Heppenheimer

Its not a matter of if the variant reaches the US, its a matter of when (if it already hasn't). All the more reason to go full-court press with vaccination.

Speaking of which, we have some of the most powerful marketing minds and tools on the planet in this country. We've made unhealthy, unappetizing food and drinks appealing to the masses, we've convinced people to buy countless electronic devices they clearly don't need, Disney convinces us to shell out more money for declining services and we lap it all up. Why can't we unleash some of that marketing power for the greater good and convince people get people vaccinated? Where is the "Spirit of '43" for our generation, Disney?

Wait, that's not quite fair, the Muppets did an advert for vaccination.

We're not asking a generation to go to war and storm the beaches of Normandy, we're not asking the shopping public to accept rationing, we're not encouraging people to plant victory gardens, we're not asking people to buy war bonds, we're not trying to enforce black-outs. We're asking people to get a simple, safe vaccine that provides very near-term tangible benefits for them as well as society as a whole! Is this so hard? Is this too much to ask?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Its not a matter of if the variant reaches the US, its a matter of when (if it already hasn't). All the more reason to go full-court press with vaccination.

Speaking of which, we have some of the most powerful marketing minds and tools on the planet in this country. We've made unhealthy, unappetizing food and drinks appealing to the masses, we've convinced people to buy countless electronic devices they clearly don't need, Disney convinces us to shell out more money for declining services and we lap it all up. Why can't we unleash some of that marketing power for the greater good and convince people get people vaccinated? Where is the "Spirit of '43" for our generation, Disney?

Wait, that's not quite fair, the Muppets did an advert for vaccination.

We're not asking a generation to go to war and storm the beaches of Normandy, we're not asking the shopping public to accept rationing, we're not encouraging people to plant victory gardens, we're not asking people to buy war bonds, we're not trying to enforce black-outs. We're asking people to get a simple, safe vaccine that provides very near-term tangible benefits for them as well as society as a whole! Is this so hard? Is this too much to ask?

There have been 600 reported cases of the Indian variant (B.1.617) in the US.

Tom P.

It is true that it does not 100% protect you from catching Covid. But study after study has shown that it is actually very effective at not just stopping symptoms, but also at actually preventing infection and transmission. So, no, it's not just that it stops you from having a severe case, it does in fact protect you to a large degree from ever getting (or transmitting) Covid in the first place.

Chomama

Again, restrictions have dropped and these varients are more infectious. If you aren’t vaccinated the coming months you are probably in more danger then ever. The key metrics to follow is infected vaccinated people, and child infective rates.

If those start to go up then panic, otherwise, behold the brutality of the survival of the fittest doctrine in action. If youre an adult in Britain or the US and haven’t gotten the vaccine it’s because you chose not to, if you get sick you have only yourself to blame.
My family is all vaccinated besides my small children so I am not personally very concerned. I shared that she is more of a concern about state of the virus in the world and potentially in the US. I obviously don’t want to see the spread like wild fire here but I am concerned that it might. I do appreciate that most people who are still unvaccinated are relatively low risk for complications so hoping our hospitalizations and deaths stay low even if the indian variant becomes dominate here

AmesTARDIS

It's so bizarre to me that some places don't have Real ID. I've had it since 2014? I didn't have any choice in the matter it's just... what you got.
NJ wasn't great about getting it out there. At least, I had never heard of it until a few years ago. I was supposed to get my with my renewal last year. But, due to Covid I ended up having to mail in my DL renewal. I will probably end up switching over sometime next year.

fgmnt

It's so bizarre to me that some places don't have Real ID. I've had it since 2014? I didn't have any choice in the matter it's just... what you got.

I know in the case of Virginia, they had just very recently updated their whole ID system right before real ID became a thing, so they got a number of extensions. On top of that, if you're not flying you don't need it, so you can delay renewal until your actual expiration date and then then forgo the requirements in some places.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Tokyo could push Olympics Games till next year due to COVID-19 problems in Japan so many people will be vaccinated and will reach 70% or 80% to reach herd immunity to go back to normal with no masks and social distancing for 2022 Olympic Games in Japan? But what about 2022 Winter Olympic Games in China?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree.

That's why I'm hoping at some point the news stops reporting all positive cases and just sticks to hospitalizations/deaths. Obviously CDC will still keep track. But John Q Public doesn't really need to know every time a person is diagnosed with covid if it's not severe.
I think knowing where community spread levels are is still important today, especially since I have a kid under 12. My decisions on what activities he will be allowed to do are still based on the situation on the ground. For example my kids were doing a lot more last Summer than they were in Jan based on the level of community spread. Once my family is fully vaccinated there will be much less need to know unless there’s a major problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom