Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

corsairk09

Tokyo could push Olympics Games till next year due to COVID-19 problems in Japan so many people will be vaccinated and will reach 70% or 80% to reach herd immunity to go back to normal with no masks and social distancing for 2022 Olympic Games in Japan? But what about 2022 Winter Olympic Games in China?
Ugh I hate that!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I got an e-mail from CHOP today asking if I’m still interested in the 5-11 year old covid vaccine trial. It said they are starting up the phase 3 trial in the next few weeks. Good news since the will need 2 months of safety data before releasing results. Hopefully that means some time in August good results get released and hopefully the FDA fast tracks approval this time so that kids can start getting the shot in Sept. It won’t be before school returns but by the time the cold and flu season ramps up we can have most school aged kids vaccinated. 👍👍👍👍

corsairk09

I think knowing where community spread levels are is still important today, especially since I have a kid under 12. My decisions on what activities he will be allowed to do are still based on the situation on the ground. For example my kids were doing a lot more last Summer than they were in Jan based on the level of community spread. Once my family is fully vaccinated there will be much less need to know unless there’s a major problem.
I always like more information. When we first went into lockdown, I only focused on the numbers in my community so I could make the best decisions for my kids. I will continue to do that.

However I agree that on a National Level decisions should be made based on deaths and hospitalizations.

Epcotbob

I think a lot of people have a lot of different reasons for not being vaccinated. Some of it is political, some of it is old school anti-vaxx stuff (around safety and long term impacts) and some is just apathy. It’s the 3rd group that is most easily reached and based on recent polling is the largest group left. That group will get us from 60% to 70% of adults eventually. Those are people who aren’t afraid of the vaccine and also aren’t opposed to it politically they just haven‘t gotten around to getting it. They don’t need convincing, just motivation to get in and get it done.
Agreed, I think positive motivation is the best approach. I'm not really in favor the hunt down and punish approach, I think that would backfire, not to mention opening up a can of worms legally. I think it would also be fair to consider health care premium credits for the vaccinated, given the reduced risk, etc.

Chi84

Premium Member
It is true that it does not 100% protect you from catching Covid. But study after study has shown that it is actually very effective at not just stopping symptoms, but also at actually preventing infection and transmission. So, no, it's not just that it stops you from having a severe case, it does in fact protect you to a large degree from ever getting (or transmitting) Covid in the first place.

This can't be stressed enough. If the vaccines just prevented symptoms and severe cases instead of actual infection and transmission, the CDC would never have issued guidance saying that vaccinated people no longer have to wear masks.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

I got an e-mail from CHOP today asking if I’m still interested in the 5-11 year old covid vaccine trial. It said they are starting up the phase 3 trial in the next few weeks. Good news since the will need 2 months of safety data before releasing results. Hopefully that means some time in August good results get released and hopefully the FDA fast tracks approval this time so that kids can start getting the shot in Sept. It won’t be before school returns but by the time the cold and flu season ramps up we can have most school aged kids vaccinated. 👍👍👍👍
Which vaccine trial is this, Pfizer?

I'm pretty sure Moderna has already started their trial down to age 6 months.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed, I think positive motivation is the best approach. I'm not really in favor the hunt down and punish approach, I think that would backfire, not to mention opening up a can of worms legally. I think it would also be fair to consider health care premium credits for the vaccinated, given the reduced risk, etc.
They should just cut checks. $500 a person if you get the vaccine. It can basically just be a refundable tax credit that is paid in advance similar to past stimulus payments. The cost would be $90-$100B depending on whether we get 70 or 80% of people in. Compared to the trillions already spent that‘s a drop in the bucket and it still helps further stimulate the economy.

dreday3

They should just cut checks. $500 a person if you get the vaccine. It can basically just be a refundable tax credit that is paid in advance similar to past stimulus payments. The cost would be $90-$100B depending on whether we get 70 or 80% of people in. Compared to the trillions already spent that‘s a drop in the bucket and it still helps further stimulate the economy.

I got vaccinated in January. Can I still get a check? :D

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which vaccine trial is this, Pfizer?

I'm pretty sure Moderna has already started their trial down to age 6 months.
This is for the phase 3 trial. Both companies started their trials for younger kids but the first phase (1/2) was a smaller trial to determine the proper dose. Once the dose is decided they are both doing a full phase 3 trial with thousands of participants. The initial phase 1/2 dose trials are about to wrap up so they are lining up participants now for the phase 3
trial.

CHOP is working with Moderna on their kidcove trial. Based on the response we got it looks like they are about to ramp up the phase 3 trial.

Epcotbob

Yep, that would likely be a much more effective and quick approach. I'm sure there would be people coming out of the woodwork for that!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Tokyo could push Olympics Games till next year due to COVID-19 problems in Japan so many people will be vaccinated and will reach 70% or 80% to reach herd immunity to go back to normal with no masks and social distancing for 2022 Olympic Games in Japan? But what about 2022 Winter Olympic Games in China?

I doubt they will postpone again, there will either be some form of the Olympics this year or they will be canceled.

Heppenheimer

This is for the phase 3 trial. Both companies started their trials for younger kids but the first phase (1/2) was a smaller trial to determine the proper dose. Once the dose is decided they are both doing a full phase 3 trial with thousands of participants. The initial phase 1/2 dose trials are about to wrap up so they are lining up participants now for the phase 3
trial.

CHOP is working with Moderna on their kidcove trial. Based on the response we got it looks like they are about to ramp up the phase 3 trial.

I hope these trials are worldwide. One of the side effects of plummeting case loads in the US is that they won't be able to reach their efficacy end-points nearly as fast as in adults.

As the parent of a toddler, I'm really hoping for September too!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I hope these trials are worldwide. One of the side effects of plummeting case loads in the US is that they won't be able to reach their efficacy end-points nearly as fast as in adults.

As the parent of a toddler, I'm really hoping for September too!
What I had read somewhere is the focus was more on safety. If they don’t get enough infections in the placebo group they may try to show that the vaccine did create a similar level of antibodies as the participants in the kids 12-15 trial and they will have 2 months of safety data. Basically saying the vaccines are safe for the age group and likely to be just as effective as kids 12-15.

Heppenheimer

What I had read somewhere is the focus was more on safety. If they don’t get enough infections in the placebo group they may try to show that the vaccine did create a similar level of antibodies as the participants in the kids 12-15 trial and they will have 2 months of safety data. Basically saying the vaccines are safe for the age group and likely to be just as effective as kids 12-15.
I'd settle for that... but of course, I don't have a seat on the FDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom