Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbunit

Read my article above. This strain isn't that new either. It's really another wave and there are about 25 strains out there. While we think it originated in China I cannot help but read negativity in calling it out as China's fault. Have you learned nothing about the "Spanish Flu"? I can't believe people keep doing this and think it's okay.
To piggyback this response, the virus has been mutating on average twice a month hence the 25 strains. Mutations aren't new to any virus, and most of the time don't pan out to much of anything in terms of clinical significance. This one however seems to make it more transmissible because the mutation has supposedly occurred on the Spike protein, the part of the virus that allows them to connect onto our cells. The vaccines success are all predicated on the Spike protein of these viruses, so a mutation there will certainly be cause for the scientific world to hold their breath (although they are claiming in the UK it has no affect on the vaccine which I pray is the case otherwise this would be a shot in the you know what for us).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Looks like the virus has or is mutating as much of Europe is going under lock down again, is the vaccine effective against this new strain? Guess this will set back the cruise industry and European travelers to WDW in 2021 China's gift to the world it just keeps giving
I just saw an interview with a virologist who said, never say never because we don’t know for sure yet, but it is highly unlikely that this mutation results in the vaccine being any less effective. Just one scientist‘s educated opinion, but pretty optimistic sign coming from an expert.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You might want to find interest in a thread not titled “Coronavirus and Walt Disney World.” Perhaps the Flower and Garden 2021 thread would give you the warm and fuzzies that you seek.
I’ve said many times that I think April 1 would be very different than it is now...in regards to WDW at least. Heck the Electric Water Pageant started again. When I close my eyes at night, I think about that.
It’s just a little thing, but that goofy little light parade has deep nostalgia associated with it. It probably shouldn’t be a big deal and probably isn’t to most people, but for me it does in some way feel like the start of a return to something somewhat normal. We aren’t close to back to normal at WDW, but it’s going to be a gradual process so starting with smaller stuff like castle projections and the electric water pageant is a step in the right direction.

Heppenheimer

To piggyback this response, the virus has been mutating on average twice a month hence the 25 strains. Mutations aren't new to any virus, and most of the time don't pan out to much of anything in terms of clinical significance. This one however seems to make it more transmissible because the mutation has supposedly occurred on the Spike protein, the part of the virus that allows them to connect onto our cells. The vaccines success are all predicated on the Spike protein of these viruses, so a mutation there will certainly be cause for the scientific world to hold their breath (although they are claiming in the UK it has no affect on the vaccine which I pray is the case otherwise this would be a shot in the you know what for us).
Fortunately, the vaccine stimulates many different antibodies that react to various regions of the spike protein, not the spike protein as a whole. As long as some amino acid sequences of the spike protein remain recognizable to the antibodies, the vaccine should still work.

hopemax

It's not so much a matter of what is shared as how it is received. If the question is whether the glass is half full or half empty, the people here seem firmly ensconced in the half-empty crowd. Again, this is a matter of perspective. I would celebrate the development of a 95% effective vaccine instead of focusing on the fact that no studies have been done to establish that a vaccinated person cannot still transmit the virus.
I will not apologize for not pre-maturely celebrating. I've seen too many sporting events and West Wing episodes. A 95% efficacy vaccine is one step in a process that is still ongoing. For personal reference, I saw the way my Dad was convinced my Mom was beating her cancer because one of the chemo drugs she was given, melted her large tumors away. But she had lymphoma and not having visible tumors doesn't mean crap if your blood is still delivering cancer cells all around your body. I saw the aftermath of his pre-mature victory, through friends and family who were devastated they didn't get to say goodbye to her because he wasn't giving them a realistic picture of the state of things. Nor was he prepared for when things went the way they did.

So sure, chastise a person like me for choosing to take this one step at a time and pat yourself on the back for predicting that come summer you will be able to rip your mask off and go back to normal life. People today have never been on the downward slope of a pandemic, but many are acting with the same certainty they had that this wouldn't become a thing, regarding its conclusion. Humility in the face of nature is never a bad thing, and yet it's another example of the disregard toward experts who caution patience, and point out the difference between where laypeople think they are vs where we actually are on the timeline.

While at the same time believing that you are above the fray of personal attacks.

PS. I'm going to try and stay out of this thread today, because it is my birthday. I'm celebrating it the same way I did the majority of my life. With only the beings that live in my house. Only, dinner is takeout instead of sit-down, and lunch will be sitting in a very long In-N-out drive-thru line (our state got our first locations this month, so I expect it will take 2 hours).

Lilofan

Money could talk when it comes to wealthy residents in CA. CNN broke a story that some looking to get to the front of the line to get the vaccine are offering up to $25K each to doctors and hospitals.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I will not apologize for not pre-maturely celebrating. I've seen too many sporting events and West Wing episodes. A 95% efficacy vaccine is one step in a process that is still ongoing. For personal reference, I saw the way my Dad was convinced my Mom was beating her cancer because one of the chemo drugs she was given, melted her large tumors away. But she had lymphoma and not having visible tumors doesn't mean crap if your blood is still delivering cancer cells all around your body. I saw the aftermath of his pre-mature victory, through friends and family who were devastated they didn't get to say goodbye to her because he wasn't giving them a realistic picture of the state of things. Nor was he prepared for when things went the way they did.

So sure, chastise a person like me for choosing to take this one step at a time and pat yourself on the back for predicting that come summer you will be able to rip your mask off and go back to normal life. People today have never been on the downward slope of a pandemic, but many are acting with the same certainty they had that this wouldn't become a thing, regarding its conclusion. Humility in the face of nature is never a bad thing, and yet it's another example of the disregard toward experts who caution patience, and point out the difference between where laypeople think they are vs where we actually are on the timeline.

While at the same time believing that you are above the fray of personal attacks.

PS. I'm going to try and stay out of this thread today, because it is my birthday. I'm celebrating it the same way I did the majority of my life. With only the beings that live in my house. Only, dinner is takeout instead of sit-down, and lunch will be sitting in a very long In-N-out drive-thru line (our state got our first locations this month, so I expect it will take 2 hours).
Happy B-Day and good luck with the burgers...we don’t have em here yet but I do make sure to stop at least once if I’m ever out West.

Heppenheimer

Money could talk when it comes to wealthy residents in CA. CNN broke a story that some looking to get to the front of the line to get the vaccine are offering up to $25K each to doctors and hospitals.
I read that article. They were contacting their concierge physicians to try to move forward in the line, but the realty is that a cash-only physician's practice almost certainly will not have any influence on who receives the vaccine, since the supplies are coordinated by the state. Money can talk, but that doesn't necessarily mean anyone's listening.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Looks like the virus has or is mutating as much of Europe is going under lock down again, is the vaccine effective against this new strain?
Whilst to early to be sure, consensus is vaccines should still be effective. But we’re still six months away from enough being inoculated. Figures are putting this strain around 70% more transmittable, but it’s only been 48 hours since we (the public) became aware of it.

Europe is virtually collapsing as I type this. The UK too. God help the US if the new strain gets to you.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Read my article above. This strain isn't that new either. It's really another wave and there are about 25 strains out there. While we think it originated in China I cannot help but read negativity in calling it out as China's fault. Have you learned nothing about the "Spanish Flu"? I can't believe people keep doing this and think it's okay.

There is little doubt that it originated in China.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Whilst to early to be sure, consensus is vaccines should still be effective. But we’re still six months away from enough being inoculated. Figures are putting this strain around 70% more transmittable.

Europe is virtually collapsing as I type this. God help the US if the new strain gets to you.

I am wondering if it may already be here. Maybe part of the reason we are seeing such a large upswing in cases in certain states.

TrainsOfDisney

It seems to be fairly well documented the virus started in Wuhan China you may not like recognizing fact but it does not change it
"Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is defined as illness caused by a novel coronavirus now called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2; formerly called 2019-nCoV), which was first identified amid an outbreak of respiratory illness cases in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China."
It could have just as easily started here in the USA though. Our factory farming practices are an outbreak waiting to happen.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We can’t take something like that here. Many places are barely holding on. :(
Exactly. Christmas is effectively cancelled in Wales and the south east of England including London. Full lockdown, shops shut, no social mixing or general travelling for two weeks. But I’m afraid that Trump, a lot of states, and a lot of citizens wouldn’t have the balls needed to contain it.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Exactly. Christmas is effectively cancelled in Wales and the south east of England including London. Full lockdown, shops shut, no social mixing or general travelling for two weeks. But I’m afraid that Trump, a lot of states, and a lot of citizens wouldn’t have the balls needed to contain it.

this has nothing to do with Trump or the American government. People know the risks and telling people to quarantine and wear masks haven’t shown to help much in the US and because of that many just want to live life where possible and try to be as safe as they can while doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom