Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Lets hope the American people get the answer REGARDLESS of if its positive or negative news.

Let’s hope that’s positive news. We are so close on the vaccines, no time for a setback like that. From what I was reading this is not the first mutation and so far none of the other ones has been an issue for the way the vaccines work so hopefully that holds true.

oceanbreeze77

Let’s hope that’s positive news. We are so close on the vaccines, no time for a setback like that. From what I was reading this is not the first mutation and so far none of the other ones has been an issue for the way the vaccines work so hopefully that holds true.
I agree that its leaning towards positive news, but, what concerns me is that this strain has been around since September and now all of the sudden there is panic over it. There wasn't this panic over the Mink variation. After the year we had, any signs of a setback cause me to hold my breath.

Chi84

Premium Member
I guess my opinion from lurking and then recently joining is the fatalistic "omg LOCKDOWNS NEED TO HAPPEN" "omg DISNEY NEEDS TO CLOSE" "OMG I AM BEING RESPONSIBLE BY STAYING HOME AND YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM FOR EATING IN A RESTAURANT AND GOING TO DISNEY" rhetoric combined with the ad hominem comments when discussing things is just tiring. But what do I know?
The ad hominem attacks are unfortunate. As far as I know, you’re allowed to express an opinion even if you’ve only been here a month. In my opinion, most of these threads skew negative, but the people posting have a different perspective.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I guess my opinion from lurking and then recently joining is the fatalistic "omg LOCKDOWNS NEED TO HAPPEN" "omg DISNEY NEEDS TO CLOSE" "OMG I AM BEING RESPONSIBLE BY STAYING HOME AND YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM FOR EATING IN A RESTAURANT AND GOING TO DISNEY" rhetoric combined with the ad hominem comments when discussing things is just tiring. But what do I know?
The things you typed in all caps are people’s opinions, I don’t agree that lockdowns need to happen everywhere or Disney needs to close, but people are free to have their own opinion on that. It’s a discussion board, you are also free to express your opinion even if that opinion is that other people’s opinions are fatalistic and tiring.

If there is something more encouraging to discuss I’m all ears. The first people get the Moderna vaccine tomorrow, that’s pretty encouraging it has been talked about a bunch here. I also think something is better than nothing with the aid package. It’s hard to find a positive spin on this mutation in the UK, maybe it turns out to be no big deal.

MrHappy

You might want to find interest in a thread not titled “Coronavirus and Walt Disney World.” Perhaps the Flower and Garden 2021 thread would give you the warm and fuzzies that you seek.
I’ve said many times that I think April 1 would be very different than it is now...in regards to WDW at least. Heck the Electric Water Pageant started again. When I close my eyes at night, I think about that.

Chi84

Premium Member
You might want to find interest in a thread not titled “Coronavirus and Walt Disney World.” Perhaps the Flower and Garden 2021 thread would give you the warm and fuzzies that you seek.
I’ve said many times that I think April 1 would be very different than it is now...in regards to WDW at least. Heck the Electric Water Pageant started again. When I close my eyes at night, I think about that.
I agree that things will improve sooner rather than later. I hope WDW will require proof of vaccination and drop or relax the restrictions fairly soon.

That said, why the rude response?

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
What attacks? Please show? You said that I made a personal attack yesterday, but I can’t see where.
A poster objected to the negativity of the thread and the answer was “amazing how someone who’s been here a month knows so much.” That doesn’t address the post, it attacks the poster. It’s like counting how many posts someone has or asking if they’re ornery. It doesn’t address the subject matter, it’s attacking the poster, even if it’s in a passive-aggressive manner.

Last edited:

_caleb

A poster objected to the negativity of the thread and the answer was “amazing how someone who’s been here a month knows so much.” That doesn’t address the post, it attacks the poster. It’s like counting how many posts someone has or asking if they’re ornery. It doesn’t address the subject matter, it’s attacking the poster, even if it’s in a passive-aggressive manner.
I see.

I’ve noticed that this site has its own culture. When “new” people jump in, they’re often not new at all, but rather sockpuppet accounts, trolls, or longtime lurkers. But when someone is genuinely new and jump in stirring the pot with inflammatory remarks, I can see how that might not make the best first impression. Nevertheless, I think we should be nice and welcoming and not hostile.

When I asked a member if they were in an ornery mood, I wasn’t calling names I was genuinely asking. I’ve read thousands of posts by that person, and this time they came in with some aggressive and sarcastic back-and-forth. I wanted to know how (or whether) to engage with that person; if they were just in a foul mood, I wanted to give them a pass and just let them vent. If they honestly wanted to engage, I was up for it. In the end, they ignored me.

No personal attack intended. I regret that anyone would feel attacked.

lazyboy97o

The post is predicated on a false promise. It is a complaint about good information being ignored, good information that was not provided, just a claim of victimhood. It’s a process that plays out constantly, someone “new” complaining about how people are so awful here for unspecified reasons and then playing the victim when called out on the nonsense. If someone really has been lurking for some time and they don’t like what they see they have little reason to join. The post wasn’t on topic, it was an unprovoked attack on the persons posting in this thread.

Chi84

Premium Member
The post is predicated on a false promise. It is a complaint about good information being ignored, good information that was not provided, just a claim of victimhood. It’s a process that plays out constantly, someone “new” complaining about how people are so awful here for unspecified reasons and then playing the victim when called out on the nonsense. If someone really has been lurking for some time and they don’t like what they see they have little reason to join. The post wasn’t on topic, it was an unprovoked attack on the persons posting in this thread.
A false promise?

BrianLo

I have no skin in the game, but observationally the poster started with a passive aggressive post and clearly received one back. Since it was largely in response to someone passing on a news article. The difference is people had the courtesy to quote them directly, instead of throwing the comment into the air.

Which in terms of forum etiquette, is kind of asking for it.

Anyways, it wasn't a helpful comment. Usually chastising the mood of the discussion never plays well.

Chi84

Premium Member
Premise. What is the good news that has been ignored in favor of bad news? You agree with the claim so you must have some idea of what is not being shared.
It's not so much a matter of what is shared as how it is received. If the question is whether the glass is half full or half empty, the people here seem firmly ensconced in the half-empty crowd. Again, this is a matter of perspective. I would celebrate the development of a 95% effective vaccine instead of focusing on the fact that no studies have been done to establish that a vaccinated person cannot still transmit the virus.

Patcheslee

I think for workers there are a large number that can be done that way when they work for larger organizations, but there are also many who work for small businesses and It may not be as practical to do those on site. I had read somewhere that at some point the expectation was that people would go to CVS or Walgreens vs having the technicians go to them like they are doing now for nursing homes. Maybe they will have it driven by the employer instead of the worker, so your employer would need to submit a list of all workers eligible. When it gets really tricky is workers within the same organization. So a clerk at the local grocery store is high priority, but the accountant who works for the same chain in the corporate office who has been working from home since March is not a high priority.

For health conditions I would assume it would be easiest to do it like a prescription where your doctor authorizes it. Then there’s no need to tell some worker at CVS what‘s wrong with you. In your case you could probably go to an urgent care and get that done if you don‘t find another doctor by then. With privacy concerns around health I can’t imagine they leave it up to CVS workers to decide.
My job gives vouchers for the flu shot yearly, maybe it can be that simple. They know what people's medical conditions are because we operate heavy equipment and may be able to get a condensed list of who needs priority.
It still leave gaps for unemployed, homeless, & disabled though. Kinda worry shelters may require it to enter at some point.

correcaminos

I agree that its leaning towards positive news, but, what concerns me is that this strain has been around since September and now all of the sudden there is panic over it. There wasn't this panic over the Mink variation. After the year we had, any signs of a setback cause me to hold my breath.
I see panic in news article titles, not so much when I read stories. This mutation is not new. It's not the first. It won't be the last. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55312505

My job gives vouchers for the flu shot yearly, maybe it can be that simple. They know what people's medical conditions are because we operate heavy equipment and may be able to get a condensed list of who needs priority.
It still leave gaps for unemployed, homeless, & disabled though. Kinda worry shelters may require it to enter at some point.
What do you expect of small businesses or self employed? It really wouldn't be simple for many using work like that. My small company job has no clue on my health.

John park hopper

Looks like the virus has or is mutating as much of Europe is going under lock down again, is the vaccine effective against this new strain? Guess this will set back the cruise industry and European travelers to WDW in 2021 China's gift to the world it just keeps giving

correcaminos

Looks like the virus has or is mutating as much of Europe is going under lock down again, is the vaccine effective against this new strain? Guess this will set back the cruise industry and European travelers to WDW in 2021 China's gift to the world it just keeps giving
Read my article above. This strain isn't that new either. It's really another wave and there are about 25 strains out there. While we think it originated in China I cannot help but read negativity in calling it out as China's fault. Have you learned nothing about the "Spanish Flu"? I can't believe people keep doing this and think it's okay.

John park hopper

Read my article above. This strain isn't that new either. It's really another wave and there are about 25 strains out there. While we think it originated in China I cannot help but read negativity in calling it out as China's fault. Have you learned nothing about the "Spanish Flu"? I can't believe people keep doing this and think it's okay.
It seems to be fairly well documented the virus started in Wuhan China you may not like recognizing fact but it does not change it
"Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is defined as illness caused by a novel coronavirus now called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2; formerly called 2019-nCoV), which was first identified amid an outbreak of respiratory illness cases in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom