Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are there flights going to and from the UK and US?
6 flights a day into the NY airports alone. I’m sure there are some going to other airports. Nothing like pre-Covid levels but they are still running. It’s probably time to shut that down.

Edit: without an exception, travelers from Europe are still banned from coming to the US but US citizens abroad can return freely from there.

DisneyDebRob

A highly-effective vaccine was developed in record time and is being distributed as quickly as possible. What else can the government do?
Not downplay it anymore? Maybe don’t have mask less huge Christmas parties in the White House? Maybe make a appearance instead of hiding the last few weeks and reassure the people? I can continue but I think you get the point.
I’m not trying to question what you said, really not but there’s many things the government can do.

Chi84

Premium Member
Not downplay it anymore? Maybe don’t have mask less huge Christmas parties in the White House? Maybe make a appearance instead of hiding the last few weeks and reassure the people? I can continue but I think you get the point.
I’m not trying to question what you said, really not but there’s many things the government can do.
Oh, okay. I guess I distinguish between the current White House administration and the government as a whole. Especially since the current administration has only a few weeks left. I'm not sure anyone is looking for leadership there at this point, just hoping for a non-dramatic transition.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
$600 stimulus checks could hit people’s bank accounts as early as next week. Not soon enough for Christmas shopping but hopefully a kickstart to the economy going into 2021 and a lifeline for some people who really need it. I still think they should have considered adding in an additional $400 to $600 for getting vaccinated. Could have helped boost vaccinations and stimulate the economy more. Still time to do that as the vaccine becomes more readily available.

PrincessNelly_NJ

This would be front page headlines on CNN, and it's currently not there (yet) or even on their COVID updates live blog. So for now, I am taking this one with a chunk of sodium chloride

Last edited:

carolina_yankee

Has the UK government put out how they came to the 70% greater transmissibility of the mutation? And that it's definitely due to mutation and not behavior or relaxed standards? And what is the nature of the transmissibility? Does it require more distancing to avoid? Lower capacities? Less time in a smaller space?

Without the data, I can't help but wonder if the mutation is being up-played as an excuse to clamp down so Boris Johnson doesn't look as inept for loosening things up. If the mutation has been around awhile (one story I ready this AM said it was also detected in Brazil), it surely has made some rounds.

I'm truly not a conspiracy theory person, but it seems there's a lot of conjecture without much evidence. It seems the story is "This mutation is more contagious! Now, let's research it and see if that's actually true."

JoeCamel

It was presented as he died suddenly of covid. That is where the doubt comes in, he may have been positive and ill but for the most part you don't keel over from it in 1 hour. He had a heart condition that I heard, maybe covid aggravated it but he is no longer with us because his heart stopped.

JoeCamel

Has the UK government put out how they came to the 70% greater transmissibility of the mutation? And that it's definitely due to mutation and not behavior or relaxed standards? And what is the nature of the transmissibility? Does it require more distancing to avoid? Lower capacities? Less time in a smaller space?

Without the data, I can't help but wonder if the mutation is being up-played as an excuse to clamp down so Boris Johnson doesn't look as inept for loosening things up. If the mutation has been around awhile (one story I ready this AM said it was also detected in Brazil), it surely has made some rounds.

I'm truly not a conspiracy theory person, but it seems there's a lot of conjecture without much evidence. It seems the story is "This mutation is more contagious! Now, let's research it and see if that's actually true."
No, I read something this morning - sorry I don't know where - that raised that very question and concluded it was too early to tell.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
$600 is gonna boost the economy? That doesn’t even cover most people’s rent for 1 month.
It’s $2,400 for a family of 4. Hundreds of billions into the economy definitely helps. Not everyone will use the money to pay their rent, although some may. Some people may buy something retail or get work done on their house or book a trip for this summer. It’s not a lot to an individual, but the cumulative impact helps.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Here’s some reading of what the BBC knows so far (there’s obviously still more questions than answers)

Though it should be noted the Welsh government is also worried about it. Not just Johnson’s pals.

correcaminos

It seems to be fairly well documented the virus started in Wuhan China you may not like recognizing fact but it does not change it
"Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is defined as illness caused by a novel coronavirus now called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2; formerly called 2019-nCoV), which was first identified amid an outbreak of respiratory illness cases in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China."
They believe it much like they believe the Spanish Flu started there which years, and I mean many years later they found differently. You are missing my point though. Calling it this does add a very thin veil like it's someone's fault or a country's or a race. Blaming a country is really beyond uncool. Look at the US president calling it the China Flu. So terribly racist or insensitive at best. All that does is allow for people to be singled out. They named it after the strain not the location for a reason and yet muppets go around saying stuff to undermine actions.
To piggyback this response, the virus has been mutating on average twice a month hence the 25 strains. Mutations aren't new to any virus, and most of the time don't pan out to much of anything in terms of clinical significance. This one however seems to make it more transmissible because the mutation has supposedly occurred on the Spike protein, the part of the virus that allows them to connect onto our cells. The vaccines success are all predicated on the Spike protein of these viruses, so a mutation there will certainly be cause for the scientific world to hold their breath (although they are claiming in the UK it has no affect on the vaccine which I pray is the case otherwise this would be a shot in the you know what for us).
The last statement should be the focus. Let's be honest. It's been around for a few months. It was discussed back in sept or Oct during trials too. This isn't new info. If a scientist says something I trust it until they have proof otherwise. I'm honestly a bit shocked that this is so new news to reporters or did they miss something or need new things to be crazy about since vaccines are not giving enough sensational stories.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom