Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

milordsloth

I wanted to give you guys a small update since I've been off this thread for a week. I just finished 6 full days of the parks and it has been such a magical trip. Being my first time ever here I was blown away by everything all so beautiful. I never once saw any uncompliance, amd only once on the whole trip ever heard someone complain about masks.

I need to catch up on the thread but at least in the Disney bubble for a week I felt very safe and happy. No problems with masks at all

oceanbreeze77

DisneyDebRob

I wanted to give you guys a small update since I've been off this thread for a week. I just finished 6 full days of the parks and it has been such a magical trip. Being my first time ever here I was blown away by everything all so beautiful. I never once saw any uncompliance, amd only once on the whole trip ever heard someone complain about masks.

I need to catch up on the thread but at least in the Disney bubble for a week I felt very safe and happy. No problems with masks at all
Glad you had a good time. I have a friend who lives in Jacksonville. They went for three days. The family had a good time but also said it wasn’t the same. They loved the low crowds and as you said, only saw a few not obeying the rules.
The negatives were that they got at the park at opening and never stayed past 3 or so. The masks got to them. Even said they have a mask tan. Lol Also missed everything closed. They would take the crowds with everything back open she said. They had fun but won’t be going back until this blows over.

NickMaio

Please self isolate for 14 days.
Glad you had a nice trip.
It truly is a special place.

Rimmit

Just wondering if anyone has flown on a plane for vacation since this covid started?
I have. Once to Sanford on Allegiant (you can read my previous posts in this thread about mask usage from that trip, although we were in a different place early June then now), and now I am currently on a two week vacation flying on United into Bismarck and flying back from Kalispell,MT (Glacier) for a national park trip.

United had 100 percent mask compliance and in ORD and DEN where we flew through mask compliance was 100 percent among passengers. Among ground crew (baggage handlers other airport employees) it was more like 95 percent.

Over the last 10 days we have been on this trip I have seen the full gamut of mask usage from none to 100 percent in the places we have been, and we have been to Theodore Roosevelt NP, Badlands NP, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier, and innumerable side attractions and have eaten at an indoor restaurant 3 times in 11 days while on our trip.

And just FYI, my work requires a Covid test each time an employee either travels to a high risk area or flys on a plane. I am scheduled for my test the first day I return home.

Kevin_W

I have. Once to Sanford on Allegiant (you can read my previous posts in this thread about mask usage from that trip, although we were in a different place early June then now), and now I am currently on a two week vacation flying on United into Bismarck and flying back from Kalispell,MT (Glacier) for a national park trip.

United had 100 percent mask compliance and in ORD and DEN where we flew through mask compliance was 100 percent among passengers. Among ground crew (baggage handlers other airport employees) it was more like 95 percent.

Over the last 10 days we have been on this trip I have seen the full gamut of mask usage from none to 100 percent in the places we have been, and we have been to Theodore Roosevelt NP, Badlands NP, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier, and innumerable side attractions and have eaten at an indoor restaurant 3 times in 11 days while on our trip.

And just FYI, my work requires a Covid test each time an employee either travels to a high risk area or flys on a plane. I am scheduled for my test the first day I return home.

Thanks for the report. I'm glad flying has worked well for you. We are scheduled for a trip to the Tetons/Yellowstone (debated squeezing in Glacier, but are not) in August and I hope everything goes smoothly for us as well.

Heppenheimer

Just wondering if anyone has flown on a plane for vacation since this covid started?
Not really for vacation, but it turned into a vacation. I flew out to Anaheim for a conference at the Grand Californian that ended up getting cancelled after I arrived. This was at the very beginning of the shutdowns. I was actually at Disneyland on their last night of operations. Flew back home two days later. The airports were as empty as I've ever seen them during normal daylight hours, and maybe half the seats of the plane were unoccupied. But hey, cheap first class upgrade!

This was before the general recommendation for mask use, so only a few people in the flight were using them. The occupancy of the plane was so far below capacity, though, that social distancing was easy.

I now won't fly again until the vaccine is in general use.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 10.27.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 10.27.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 10.27.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 10.27.26 AM.png

willtravel

Great trip. Was at those most of those places over the past 3 years. Just beautiful and interesting places to see. Looking to go to Idaho in a month flying. But now looking maybe at North Dakota and South Dakota and driving instead. I thought the areas you went too are low risk areas though.

willtravel

Not really for vacation, but it turned into a vacation. I flew out to Anaheim for a conference at the Grand Californian that ended up getting cancelled after I arrived. This was at the very beginning of the shutdowns. I was actually at Disneyland on their last night of operations. Flew back home two days later. The airports were as empty as I've ever seen them during normal daylight hours, and maybe half the seats of the plane were unoccupied. But hey, cheap first class upgrade!

This was before the general recommendation for mask use, so only a few people in the flight were using them. The occupancy of the plane was so far below capacity, though, that social distancing was easy.

I now won't fly again until the vaccine is in general use.
Is this because you are concerned of getting the covid from flying?

Rider

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, but also because I would be required by my employer and the state to self-quarantine for 14 days afterwards. I can't be away from my job for the length of a trip plus 14 additional days.
I’m in the same boat. I actually think the plane itself is pretty safe with masks and lower capacity. The airport is probably a little more challenging but also doable assuming no major delays or needs to eat a meal there. I live in PA and work in NJ. Both states have these travel restrictions that change weekly so even if you are safe when you leave, the state you go to could get added to the list during your trip. It’s going to be a summer staying close to home for us. It’s killing me because we love to travel and I usually do multiple trips a year. I’ve got a bunch of frequent flier miles burning a hole in my pocket. When this all blows over I may just take a sabbatical from work and travel for a month or something;)

JoeCamel

I’m in the same boat. I actually think the plane itself is pretty safe with masks and lower capacity. The airport is probably a little more challenging but also doable assuming no major delays or needs to eat a meal there. I live in PA and work in NJ. Both states have these travel restrictions that change weekly so even if you are safe when you leave, the state you go to could get added to the list during your trip. It’s going to be a summer staying close to home for us. It’s killing me because we love to travel and I usually do multiple trips a year. I’ve got a bunch of frequent flier miles burning a hole in my pocket. When this all blows over I may just take a sabbatical from work and travel for a month or something;)
My problem is the airlines are pulling planes and still stuffing cabins. They will not fly half empty planes no matter what capacity limits are in place.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My problem is the airlines are pulling planes and still stuffing cabins. They will not fly half empty planes no matter what capacity limits are in place.
If I were to travel it would be with my wife and kids so we’d have 4 of 6 seats in a row. Most airlines are now doing the no middle seat thing which would give us the whole row if we pick seats right, but even if not I’d probably sit with my kids 3 across and have my wife on the aisle across from us (she’s 2 weeks younger than me so I’m technically more high risk;)). Having an empty seat between her and the window person seems OK. I’m not doing it anyway, but the flying part would be lower on my list of concerns than visiting tourist areas or eating most meals in restaurants.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Even if a vaccine was out this year the odds of it changing anything appear to be getting slimmer by the day as fewer people say they would take it.

I still think it will be fine. I don’t want to get into politics here, but it’s very unlikely that a vaccine is ready before the November election so the political slant should be removed if/when it happens. They also need a good PR campaign based in facts and full disclosure. I‘d say get people like the Kardashians or some of these social influencer types involved.

The polls referenced still said only 20% of people would flat out refuse to get vaccinated. 50% said they would and 30% said unsure. If you get around half the unsure to come around that gets you to about 2/3. If you get almost all of them thats close to 80%. Assuming the vaccine is 75% effective if you get between 66% and 80% to vaccinate that’s still between 50% and 60% immune. May not be quite enough for full herd immunity but it will cripple the virus and make tracing and isolating outbreaks so much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom