Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

It’s not hard to sum up recommendations that have been static since April:

-The safest place for you to be is your home, stay there as much as possible and only go out when you need to
-When you leave your home put on a mask
-Stay 6 ft away from other people as much as possible
-Outside is safer than inside spaces that are not your home
-Wash your hands
-Avoid large gatherings of people, especially if they are inside and for more then 15 minutes
-Singing and shouting spreads the virus more than talking
-Avoid indoor restaurants and bars as you can’t mask inside and eat and most of them have horrible ventilation
-Quarantine yourself and get tested if you display any symptoms

The virus doesn’t care if your mass gathering is a church service, funeral, protest, or party they are all equally dangerous. The fact that we can’t follow these simple rules in this country but the rest of the developed world can leads me with very little to celebrate this Independence Day, if we simply followed these rules we could control this thing without having to shutdown again.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The virus doesn’t care if your mass gathering is a church service, funeral, protest, or party they are all equally dangerous. The fact that we can’t follow these simple rules in this country but the rest of the developed world can leads me with very little to celebrate this Independence Day, if we simply followed these rules we could control this thing without having to shutdown again.

This keeps getting repeated as if it's true.

Just for fun, I am going to take two of your examples.....Masks and 6' of distance......

A few Countries that don't have mandatory mask rules....
Sweden
Netherlands
Finland
Denmark
Austria
Finland
France
Ireland

A few examples of countries that don't have 6' rules....
France,
Denmark
Germany
Italy
Australia

I know it's trendy to be a self hating American. But at least do a small amount of research.

Touchdown

Just for fun, I am going to take two of your examples.....Masks and 6' of distance......

Sweden
Netherlands
Finland
Denmark
Austria
Finland
France
Ireland

France,
Denmark
Germany
Italy
Australia

I know it's trendy to be a self hating American. But at least do a small amount of research.

Not having a law to mandate it doesn’t mean people aren’t doing it. Those countries also all (other then Sweden which botched this too) also greatly benifited from longer lockdowns and a far more robust contact tracing program. I’m not going to get into my thoughts on our government’s actions because that is forbidden. You have no rights if you refuse to accept responsibilities. We shouldn’t need laws to mandate these actions, but unfortunately we are proving the world right their stereotype view of ugly Americans.

Yeee Haw!
Slim-pickens_riding-the-bomb_enh-lores.jpg

JoeCamel

Not having a law to mandate it doesn’t mean people aren’t doing it. Those countries also all (other then Sweden which botched this too) also greatly benifited from longer lockdowns and a far more robust contact tracing program. I’m not going to get into my thoughts on our government’s actions because that is forbidden. You have no rights if you refuse to accept responsibilities. We shouldn’t need laws to mandate these actions, but unfortunately we are proving the world right their stereotype view of ugly Americans.

Yeee Haw!
Slim-pickens_riding-the-bomb_enh-lores.jpg
Props for Slim

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Those countries also all (other then Sweden which botched this too) also greatly benifited from longer lockdowns
Can you show me how Sweden botched this? It's easy to say that, way less easy to prove it....

Now, longer lockdowns you say.....

Finland, no lockdown
Sweden, no lockdown
Netherlands, no lockdown
Poland 25 days
Denmark 28 days
Germany 29 days

I could go on and on

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Bartattack

Sweden
Netherlands
Finland
Denmark
Austria
Finland
France
Ireland

France,
Denmark
Germany
Italy
Australia

euhm... in my country (Belgium) the social distancing rule (1.5 m) is still very much active and required... this is also the case in France, Netherlands, Germany and other European countries.
Masks are mandatory if a shopkeeper asks you to wear one or if you can't keep the social distance or on public transport.

Actually, they recently held a poll and 77% of the people in our country are asking the goverment to make masks mandatory in all shops.

Our bars and restaurants weren't even open when people in Florida already went back to Universal...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
euhm... in my country (Belgium) the social distancing rule (1.5 m) is still very much active and required... this is also the case in France, Netherlands, Germany and other European countries.
Masks are mandatory if a shopkeeper asks you to wear one or if you can't keep the social distance or on public transport.

Actually, they recently held a poll and 77% of the people in our country are asking the goverment to make masks mandatory in all shops.

Our bars and restaurants weren't even open when people in Florida already went back to Universal...
euhm....

I never said the social distancing rule wasn't required. I said it wasn't 6'. Masks are not mandated by the government except on public transport. If a shop asks you to wear one, of course you should. That's not the debate though is it? I am simply pointing out misinformation where I see it.

Polkadotdress

The fact that we can’t follow these simple rules in this country but the rest of the developed world can leads me with very little to celebrate this Independence Day, if we simply followed these rules we could control this thing without having to shutdown again.

And it’s not even just the “developed world” that we need to compare ourselves to. Have you seen the list of countries that’s allowed entry into Europe? It includes Rwanda, Algeria, and Tunisia. If they can get it right, why can’t we???

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Then why the big job numbers, and retail sales. If people didn't feel safe going out than why the increase in COVID cases? What would the unemployment rate look like if we hadn't opened up? It wouldn't be down to 11%.
It’s the difference between long term vs short term benefit. Rushing to open things and opening them without proper precautions lead to an immediate economic benefit, but if we use your state as an example it was short lived. So the bars got to open and many opened without proper distancing and now as a result they are closed and so are gyms and Other businesses. So long term it would have been better to go a little slower. So those job pickups would have come in slower and maybe some bars wouldn’t re-open because they can’t make money with physical distancing in place, but the overall situation would have been better for all businesses and the overall economy. Now due to the spike in cases they are beginning to pull back on elective surgeries again, more economic damage. The state is now under a travel ban which will significantly reduce the number of tourists coming in from a large economic center, not to mention people from other states are not as likely to want to go to an area with a major spike in cases. Tourist attractions need all the travelers they can get. I was just using AZ as an example, but you can sub in FL or TX or other states in the same boat. Short term economic gains were put ahead of the long term health of the economy. All of this doesn’t even address the public health impacts of these spikes.

Chomama

It’s the difference between long term vs short term benefit. Rushing to open things and opening them without proper precautions lead to an immediate economic benefit, but if we use your state as an example it was short lived. So the bars got to open and many opened without proper distancing and now as a result they are closed and so are gyms and Other businesses. So long term it would have been better to go a little slower. So those job pickups would have come in slower and maybe some bars wouldn’t re-open because they can’t make money with physical distancing in place, but the overall situation would have been better for all businesses and the overall economy. Now due to the spike in cases they are beginning to pull back on elective surgeries again, more economic damage. The state is now under a travel ban which will significantly reduce the number of tourists coming in from a large economic center, not to mention people from other states are not as likely to want to go to an area with a major spike in cases. Tourist attractions need all the travelers they can get. I was just using AZ as an example, but you can sub in FL or TX or other states in the same boat. Short term economic gains were put ahead of the long term health of the economy. All of this doesn’t even address the public health impacts of these spikes.
I feel like this has been explained over and over. Short term a reopening = people out and about, return of many jobs; long term reopening in this way = same businesses having to close again, less
Consumer confidence, more people out of work than had we waited

Miss Bella

You do realize some states did not shut down at all and they haven't had spikes. You realize a lot of states like AZ were shut down when we only had a handful of cases. You can try to blame the spikes on opening to early, but seriously what is a state supposed to do when their hospitals are empty and cases are flat..... just stay closed. We opened on May 4. Gyms didn't open until the end of May and they are still open.

Everyone looks like a genius when the are playing Monday morning quarterback.

People try to claim the riots/protests didn't play a factor. I disagree they had a big psychological effect. People looked at all the mass gatherings on TV that were supported by the media. They thought if that's ok why am I sitting in my house, why can't I have a party, why are beaches closed. The protest/riots may not have increased the numbers, but they sure changed how people think.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You do realize some states did not shut down at all and they haven't had spikes. You realize a lot of states like AZ were shut down when we only had a handful of cases. You can try to blame the spikes on opening to early, but seriously what is a state supposed to do when their hospitals are empty and cases are flat..... just stay closed. We opened on May 4. Gyms didn't open until the end of May and they are still open.

Everyone looks like a genius when the are playing Monday morning quarterback.

People try to claim the riots/protests didn't play a factor. I disagree they had a big psychological effect. People looked at all the mass gatherings on TV that were supported by the media. They thought if that's ok why am I sitting in my house, why can't I have a party, why are beaches closed. The protest/riots may not have increased the numbers, but they sure changed how people think.
I’m not advocating staying on stay at home orders indefinitely. It’s pretty obvious when you look at the states with spikes they are all places which opened bars without many restrictions and they also opened without mask rules. That includes CA which started out more strict but loosened up too fast. Once this pull back is over those states (outside of FL) will re-open again with more strict distancing rules and with masks. They won’t keep these bars and businesses closed forever. Hopefully everyone does better next time they open.

On the protest stuff, I‘m sure it didn’t help. I am skeptical that a bunch of young people were not going to go to bars and party until they saw protesters. I think it may be looked at as a good excuse.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
the high positivity rate has been flat all week. That is very concerning.

ALSO NOTE: I'm reading testing sites will be CLOSED tomorrow
It is a national holiday. People working there deserve a day off too. My county closed testing sites for Juneteenth a few weeks back. I don’t see it as a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom