Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Bella

I’m not advocating staying on stay at home orders indefinitely. It’s pretty obvious when you look at the states with spikes they are all places which opened bars without many restrictions and they also opened without mask rules. That includes CA which started out more strict but loosened up too fast. Once this pull back is over those states (outside of FL) will re-open again with more strict distancing rules and with masks. They won’t keep these bars and businesses closed forever. Hopefully everyone does better next time they open.

On the protest stuff, I‘m sure it didn’t help. I am skeptical that a bunch of young people were not going to go to bars and party until they saw protesters. I think it may be looked at as a good excuse.
That's all been corrected. Masks are now mandatory. As far as tourism. No one comes here in July. It's better to have this happen now than during Spring training next year. We'll learn from it and be better prepared for our tourism season. When everything is said and done I feel every state is going to have an outbreak of some sort.
I think everyone looked at the lack of social distancing at the riots and the way the media supported it and scratched their heads. At the same time, the media was denigrating people for attending a pool party. Selective outrage at it's finest.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's all been corrected. Masks are now mandatory. As far as tourism. No one comes here in July. It's better to have this happen now than during Spring training next year. We'll learn from it and be better prepared for our tourism season. When everything is said and done I feel every state is going to have an outbreak of some sort.
I think everyone looked at the lack of social distancing at the riots and the way the media supported it and scratched their heads. At the same time, the media was denigrating people for attending a pool party. Selective outrage at it's finest.
I agree that hopefully the issues have been corrected in most places. I don’t believe masks and more strict rules would eliminate all cases or even eliminate potential future spikes, but hopefully it helps a lot to reduce those occurrences. Cases have gone up some in PA in the last few weeks as more things open, but we aren’t seeing the extreme spikes. I don’t know if that’s just dumb luck or because of a better approach. I hope it’s the better approach.

I guess it depends on what media you are looking at. I remember seeing numerous public health officials on TV saying they were very concerned that the masses of people on the street would lead to spikes in cases. Tons of articles online talking about it too. Lots of people advocating that people wear masks if they do go out to protests. I think there’s a difference between supporting the cause behind the protests and supporting the lack of social distancing. Again, maybe just a difference between what media people are looking at. I suspect that possibly a network like Fox News was pushing a narrative that the other main stream media was ignoring or supporting the lack of social distancing at protests which really wasn’t the case. It’s always an us vs them the networks love to create.

Miss Bella

As someone that works in healthcare there is no such thing as a holiday, testing sites are being closed early due to capacity, they should not be closed.
A lot of hospital services are closed on holidays. Whether you work on holidays depends on which area of healthcare you work in.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As someone that works in healthcare there is no such thing as a holiday, testing sites are being closed early due to capacity, they should not be closed.
Where I live the county has 6 walk up and one drive thru testing site that are outside of traditional healthcare facilities. All are closed tomorrow. There’s still testing available at hospitals and some urgent care locations. I would expect testing numbers everywhere to be way down over the holiday weekend.

Miss Bella

Where I live the county has 6 walk up and one drive thru testing site that are outside of traditional healthcare facilities. All are closed tomorrow. There’s still testing available at hospitals and some urgent care locations. I would expect testing numbers everywhere to be way down over the holiday weekend.
Well, I'm working and I've just been informed we're having a potluck. I was really trying to avoid grocery stores today. Maybe I'll put my body armour on and go to Costco.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

A month old article. And not for nothing, the thing he said he would change is better protections for LTC facilities.
You keep bringing up Sweden but fail to mention they did have measures in place. Most worked from home when this started, they limited gatherings to 50 people and they limited capacity to businesses. They put in social distancing in many places. I doubt if they just did that here at the beginning it would have worked. Many refuse to follow social distancing and wearing masks now.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You keep bringing up Sweden but fail to mention they did have measures in place. Most worked from home when this started, they limited gatherings to 50 people and they limited capacity to businesses. They put in social distancing in many places. I doubt if they just did that here at the beginning it would have worked. Many refuse to follow social distancing and wearing masks now.
Sorry I don’t quote Sweden’s entire policy. Also I didn’t bring them up.

Anyway, perhaps if we did try that early on, it would have been effective. Instead people felt trampled on and as soon as the chance came to rebel....

lisa12000

just to say I really really hope everyone has a wonderful time starting next week - I know there are worries about case numbers and healthcare numbers going up but I still know I’d feel safer at wdw than many other places worldwide

tbh it doesn’t seem to matter where your figures are the same arguments will always remain. We are in a better place at the moment (uk) and interestingly knocked off 30,000 positives through double counting yesterday! Makes you think..... anyway if you look on social media there is mass negative hysteria about our pubs, restaurants and theme parks opening tomorrow and we have just published our list of countries we can visit without quarantine and people like myself who want to go away are being brandished selfish and that we will start the second wave.... it’s a nightmare of negativity and we had 500 odd cases today.... it’s been a bloody long journey (102 days of lockdown) but we are finally (for now) getting there

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Sweden....

7AF8EA40-A5DA-440E-B85B-984FD929EE69.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sweden gets too much hate, thanks for posting this.
For future pandemics it will be very interesting to see how Sweden makes out vs other nations that went with a different approach. So far results are mixed at best but it’s way too early to draw any definitive conclusions. We really need to wait a few years to see the total economic impact of both approaches. Too many people on both sides are rushing to draw some conclusion from Sweden to either prove or disprove the effectiveness of the lock down approach.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Quick rundown of 21 states that have paused or rolled back a bit in the last few days. Handy guide.

Remember when people were posting here saying once things were open we would never go back? That seems to not be the case. No riots in the street either. Nobody is back to full stay at home orders yet, but the number of states that had to pull back is concerning.

One point of note. The write-up on PA is wrong. The 832 was the highest daily total in over a month, not all time. Sadly the all time record is 3 times that.

Miss Bella

To those of you that were convinced Arizona was going to ration care. Our capacity remains at about 85%. Close to 800 Covid patients were discharged over the last couple of days. There’s a hospital in Phoenix that closed last year. Back in March the army Corp of engineers equipped it with 330 ICU beds. It’s ready to go if we need it. Hopefully we won’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom