Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLapidus

No, the real problem is people such as yourself that dismiss what can be weeks of illness with unknown long term effects on previously healthy people simply because they didn’t die as if it is a dichotomy of fine or dead.

I’m almost afraid to ask, but I’d love to know what qualifies as “clear unbiased numbers”.

The Mom

Premium Member
Do you mean they can handle another 20%?

Hopefully, the people currently in the ICU beds will get better, or unfortunately, die. The hospitals may go back to limiting surgeries to eliminate those that might result in an ICU stay post-op, such as the elderly, those with underlying conditions, etc.

My husband is scheduled for elective surgery next month. If the Covid situation continues to worsen, it would probably be cancelled, even though it is not a risky procedure - for someone under 65.

DisneyCane

Be prepared more ”records” will be set this week but the overall danger is very low unless you are a high risk individual, hospitals are not being overrun, etc. you wouldn’t know that from the news though. we with constant word surging, records setting, etc. it is really getting ridiculous and is causing much more harm to society than Covid ever will do
My parents are a perfect example. They have been staying home like they should and staying away from other people, using contactless delivery, etc. My mom is 74 and my Dad is 80.

The only time they've left the house is for necessary medical appointments. The recent spike and the media coverage has scared my mom to the point that they are cancelling appointments. I tried to explain that the Doctor's office is still using the same safety protocols and it's not like you are going out and mingling with the general public. There is a higher likelihood that skipping the appointments will lead to something negative than there is of getting infected by going to a doctor's office that is taking all manner of precautions.

DisneyCane

Thats a VERY large difference. Lets see what happens. I'm more likely to believe the dashboard number
Agreed. Of course some will disagree when the numbers start declining and say they are altering data and all kinds of conspiracy theories.

This spike is very alarming because it appears that the young adults have just stopped social distancing or something.

legwand77

Hopefully, the people currently in the ICU beds will get better, or unfortunately, die. The hospitals may go back to limiting surgeries to eliminate those that might result in an ICU stay post-op, such as the elderly, those with underlying conditions, etc.

My husband is scheduled for elective surgery next month. If the Covid situation continues to worsen, it would probably be cancelled, even though it is not a risky procedure - for someone under 65.
Hope it doesn't have to be canceled. Good news the numbers have gone down from yesterday , the two small hospital with 6 and 4 beds are filled but the Tampa regions is running at closer to 25% capacity up from 20%. They usually fluctuate between 20-25% so won't be surprised if they go back and forth for a while.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Where are you getting that? Florida dashboard is showing 4,671 positives yesterday...

Wow youre right, I got it from the ABC Florida affiliate.

Interesting.

The data file shows 4,671 as well.

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 11.27.43 AM.png

legwand77

Agreed. Of course some will disagree when the numbers start declining and say they are altering data and all kinds of conspiracy theories.

This spike is very alarming because it appears that the young adults have just stopped social distancing or something.

My theory it is more people young people are being required or just getting tested when they go back to work. In Florida being such a tourist economy, it is a lot more young people having to go to work than in other states. That is why it is skewing so young quickly. Disney alone calling people back to work could change the numbers in a significant way, not saying that is the case but possible. Plus more ongoing testing at work is taking place, say one employee gets tested then with tracing all people they come in contact with get tested. Like what happened at UCF. Statistically you will catch more asymptomatic people and it continues. Add that in with the regular testing and outbreaks within multi generational families that live together (those are the ones to watch) and you get more positives.

I will be submitting this theory for preprint shortly /s ;)

mickeymiss

My husband works in an operating room and canceling elective surgeries was a disaster. Resuming them has gone remarkably smooth. No issues at all. There better be a good reason if they start restricting them again. Our state banned them even though our hospitals were never overrun and someone literally died because his surgery wasn't deemed essential. Meanwhile, empty beds and empty OR suites. Everything is a mess. The virus. The response on both sides. The media. I really desperately want only raw facts and data. There are too many people with motives on both sides driving the car.

lazyboy97o

I worry about E.Coli 0157 every single year. There are outbreaks every single year. Children die from it every single year. They say it's rare but tell that to the families. It killed a toddler in my state that went to a county fair after zero contact with animals. One other child from the fair had serious permanent kidney damage. County fairs never closed down or even did anything to reduce risk. Nobody stopped going to fairs or called for action. Fairs have outbreaks every year too. You take a chance going to events like that. Reading about that little boy devastated me but people said I was overreacting. I think covid is serious but locking down our country has made another crisis. I deal with my E.Coli anxiety by being extra cautious. People still think I'm being silly. I don't care. I changed my behavior to feel safer. I also understand that life has to resume for everyone else. I support businesses deciding if they want to require masks or not. We have to take it from here and make our own risk assessments. We have to tread carefully in a pandemic but we are seeing trends that this is something we can balance with opening.

That being said, I agree that bars seem to be an emerging threat for employees and should be addressed.
You are comparing something that typically kills less than 100 Americans per year to something that in months has killed over 100,000. E. Coli does cause shut downs and massive recalls, often over less than a dozen people being identified as being sick.

I’m almost afraid to ask, but I’d love to know what qualifies as “clear unbiased numbers”.
Given his history, made up by and changed as necessary by him. If only all these new members realized who they were agreeing with.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

At the highest level of the federal government yesterday there was again a call to reduce testing. I would hope the leaders in FL would ignore that and continue to ramp up testing. It should be fairly obvious if testing slows down.

I don’t think it’s likely that the government will alter the data. You would need every individual county to cooperate. It would never happen and if it did someone would leak it and it would be exposed. The people running the dashboard could easily change the presentation of the data. They could change the graphs and the way the compiled data is presented without altering the underlying data. They could also just change the “goal posts”. Leading into and during the start of the re-opening process the focus had been on percent positive with under 10% as one of the primary gates to re-opening. If the percent positive stays consistently above 10% now (no guarantee it will) they can just shift focus to available hospital beds or death rate or whatever stat looks best.

legwand77

My husband works in an operating room and canceling elective surgeries was a disaster. Resuming them has gone remarkably smooth. No issues at all. There better be a good reason if they start restricting them again. Our state banned them even though our hospitals were never overrun and someone literally died because his surgery wasn't deemed essential. Meanwhile, empty beds and empty OR suites. Everything is a mess. The virus. The response on both sides. The media. I really desperately want only raw facts and data. There are too many people with motives on both sides driving the car.

Add in the fear that people had/have to going to the doctor, it will have caused many deaths as well. That is starting to be shown in New York and other hard hit areas.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My theory it is more people young people are being required or just getting tested when they go back to work. In Florida being such a tourist economy, it is a lot more young people having to go to work than in other states. That is why it is skewing so young quickly. Disney alone calling people back to work could change the numbers in a significant way, not saying that is the case but possible. Plus more ongoing testing at work is taking place, say one employee gets tested then with tracing all people they come in contact with get tested. Like what happened at UCF. Statistically you will catch more asymptomatic people and it continues. Add that in with the regular testing and outbreaks within multi generational families that live together (those are the ones to watch) and you get more positives.

Has Disney said they were requiring all CMs to be tested to return to work? I hadn’t heard that before. It’s probably a good plan. Did Universal do that too?

mickeymiss

Has Disney said they were requiring all CMs to be tested to return to work? I hadn’t heard that before. It’s probably a good plan. Did Universal do that too?

Maybe I'm naive but it seems like testing employees wouldn't be a bad idea although my hope was that their safety plans would be enough on their own. Masks, screening, and checking temperature every day is right up there with standards to enter a hospital.

BrianLo

You should actually see the opposite effect. More mandatory testing of asymptomatic individuals would yield less overall positive results. Therefore driving down the positivity rate.

Ie. Targeted testing of someone with ILI symptoms would more likely be COVID than randomly testing an asymptomatic 20 year old.

Better targeted contact tracing of known COVID cases though would more likely skew your results to higher numbers. Compared to randomly only testing people who present to ED that want a test.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe I'm naive but it seems like testing employees wouldn't be a bad idea although my hope was that their safety plans would be enough on their own. Masks, screening, and checking temperature every day is right up there with standards to enter a hospital.
It can’t hurt to test people. Beat case scenario is nobody is positive and you wasted some test kits. I agree it’s probably not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom