Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Pan's Shadow

I love your enthusiasm and I’m right there with you hoping both those things pan out. The Oxford group is in the most advanced stage of clinic trials right now for their vaccine. Their phase 2 and 3 trial is being conducted simultaneously. They said they expect to know by some time in June whether the vaccine works or not. There will still be additional testing after that but their hope is to have a vaccine ready for public use by September. It would be on an emergency basis at first but as they ramp up production it could be rolled out to the public before the end of the year. Outside of that one, most of the other vaccines under development are targeting early 2021 as their earliest timeframe. The plasma thing sounds more promising to be a shorter term solution to bridge the gap until a vaccine.
Well the Dr's I heard used the words "very promising" and "expect", but let's shelf that since we're pretty close. What about the plasma? Lol. And not to mention the drug(s) that have been shown to get people off the vent? Seems like the outlook we collectively have is not consistent with these things? I'm ready to safely get in the parks and buy each and every one of you idiot/geniuses a drink.

carolina_yankee

Brooklin Disney Dad

I've personally been to Efteling and enjoy it better than WDW, in fact it's cheaper to go there too (even with flights included). I like WDW's history and "Most Magical Place on Earth" feeling but I'll spend my money else where if they wont open or if i have to deal with ridiculous security theatre.

The other parks that are opening before WDW or Universal are setting the industry standards. So far Silverwood does not require mask to be worn.
I think it is more about a national standard than an industry one. Disney brings people to a large city. More people are connected and in close contact. It draws 4 times the crowds found at some European parks. I think it will set the standard along with universal studios.

Disorbust

So I have no idea who ur docs are but Oxford is the closest for a vac. They r hoping for September for HCW and at risk it will be a solid year for the general public if everything goes perfect. Having a vac and distributing are 2 different ballgames.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well the Dr's I heard used the words "very promising" and "expect", but let's shelf that since we're pretty close. What about the plasma? Lol. And not to mention the drug(s) that have been shown to get people off the vent? Seems like the outlook we collectively have is not consistent with these things? I'm ready to safely get in the parks and buy each and every one of you idiot/geniuses a drink.
Having a vaccine by September is extremely promising. Here’s the latest update on the one in England:

Disney Analyst

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
If there is a vaccine available this fall it will be the quickest time in the history of medicine a vaccine was created for a disease by several YEARS. I’m not saying it won’t happen, it could, but if it did it would probably be considered the most impressive biological discovery since discovering DNA.
The thing with vaccines is that since the last time we had an urgent need for a vaccine, we've become really good at developing vaccines that *should* work, and because of SARS and MERS a lot of that work as specifically done with coronaviruses.

The challenge is that many potential vaccines make things worse. Others don't work as well as expected (or at all). Others have unacceptable side effects. We have at least 3 vaccines developed now that I'm aware of, but the human testing phase is really important.

Polynesia

Some Disney World Resort reservations just opened up:

“A nail salon in Bartlesville [Oklahoma] is asking some of its recent customers to self-isolate after a potential exposure to COVID-19. The Nailspot says a staff member tested positive for the virus. Anyone who was in the salon from May 5-7 is asked to quarantine for 14 days. @NewsOn6”
No offense but nail salons are one of the last places I’d go to presently. I understand the desire to open them and the demand. To me there’s too much personal contact. I’m definitely not ready to go to one.

The Mom

Premium Member
When I have rented cars in FL or any other state, they usually come with plates from that state. You make it sound a little nefarious.

Rental car plates are based on where the car is registered, not where the renter resides. It is rare to find a rental a car in FL with NY or NJ plates.

Generally speaking, drivers pay a hefty surcharge on one-way rentals.

Mind, in the before times, WDW has sometimes checked ID's. If Disney really wanted, they could check ID's to confirm residency. I'm not saying it will happen, only that it is possible.

In phase 1 people from epicenter states have been stopped at the airport and told to quarantine for 14 days.

DisneyDebRob

No offense but nail salons are one of the last places I’d go to presently. I understand the desire to open them and the demand. To me there’s too much personal contact. I’m definitely not ready to go to one.
Or a airplane.. or a bus.. don’t feel comfortable in any of them. I’ve never been to a nail salon but I can understand that.

Touchdown

The thing with vaccines is that since the last time we had an urgent need for a vaccine, we've become really good at developing vaccines that *should* work, and because of SARS and MERS a lot of that work as specifically done with coronaviruses.

The challenge is that many potential vaccines make things worse. Others don't work as well as expected (or at all). Others have unacceptable side effects. We have at least 3 vaccines developed now that I'm aware of, but the human testing phase is really important.

I realize that, You just expounded on the point I was trying to make. Everything would have to go perfectly for this to happen. Also, just because a vaccine exists, doesn’t mean you’ll be able to get it. Oxford is in England, the UK will get it first, given our special relationship the US will get it soon after, but Healthcare Workers, the military, and government officials will get them first, followed by nursing home residents and other essential workers. The general public may be waiting a long time for their chance.

ImperfectPixie

I realize that, You just expounded on the point I was trying to make. Everything would have to go perfectly for this to happen. Also, just because a vaccine exists, doesn’t mean you’ll be able to get it. Oxford is in England, the UK will get it first, given our special relationship the US will get it soon after, but Healthcare Workers, the military, and government officials will get them first, followed by nursing home residents and other essential workers. The general public may be waiting a long time for their chance.
Don't forget about celebrities. ;)

carolina_yankee

This is Florida telling those people what to do, not Disney. And it seems to only tell you to quarantine if you pass through an airport. Thanks for the loophole, guys!

From VisitFlorida.com

All persons traveling to Florida from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut or Louisiana are required upon entry to Florida to self-isolate or self-quarantine for 14 days, or for the duration of their presence in the state, whichever is shorter. Roadside checkpoints are set up on interstates to check for potential COVID-19 cases coming into Florida from areas with substantial community spread of the virus. The checkpoints do not apply to commercial drivers or health workers. Click here for more information.

Patcheslee

IAAPA developed potential guidelines in partnership with some parks (not Disney). Interesting read:

Thanks this is supposed to be my Cedar Fair park binge year :joyfull:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Yes i wasn't arguing with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom