Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I realize that, You just expounded on the point I was trying to make. Everything would have to go perfectly for this to happen. Also, just because a vaccine exists, doesn’t mean you’ll be able to get it. Oxford is in England, the UK will get it first, given our special relationship the US will get it soon after, but Healthcare Workers, the military, and government officials will get them first, followed by nursing home residents and other essential workers. The general public may be waiting a long time for their chance.
Big pharma is greedy. None of the major US based companies wanted to partner with the Oxford team because they all wanted exclusive worldwide distribution rights if the vaccine was a home run. The group developing it is a non-profit but they want to spread the potential benefit around. AstraZeneca is now their partner (UK based) and they have a vaccine producer in India that has already ramped up production betting it will work. My gut says that if the trials pan out then a US based pharma company will also partner with them to produce the vaccine. Right now Pfizer and J&J are partnered with biotechs working on different vaccines but there are still others who could step in. The million doses they will have by September will likely go exclusively to the UK.

The Mom

Premium Member
Fl Governor DiSantis is making an announcement (he's just down the street from me) being carried on TV right now. I'm sure he will announce phases - and as he has done in the past, he might make exceptions one way or the other for certain areas. For example, JAX beaches have been open for almost a month, yet they aren't open in the Miami area.

Last edited:

Kevin_W

Having a vaccine by September is extremely promising. Here’s the latest update on the one in England:

Thanks. It seems a lot of news about plasma treatment just made the rounds yesterday. Here is a non-paywall version:

In summary, the studies just show that it is safe, not that it is effective. But they are hopeful.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Full Phase 1" will go into effect Monday.

Restaurants and Retail will go to 50% capacity. Museums and Libraries 50% capacity.

Gyms will be reopening Monday (I believe at 50% capacity). Professional sports facilities will be open to train.

Amusement/Theme parks will be able to submit reopening plans to the state and need an endorsement from their local, governing official. Also to identify the date they believe they can resume operations safely.

Bars will remain closed.

Vacation Rentals (short term) - counties can submit requests/plans to state.

No Phase 2 announcement. No indoor movie theaters will be open yet.

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

Restaurants and Retail will go to 50% capacity. Museums and Libraries 50% capacity.

Gyms will be reopening Monday (I believe at 50% capacity). Professional sports facilities will be open to train.

Amusement/Theme parks will be able to submit reopening plans to the state and need an endorsement from their local, governing official. Also to identify the date they believe they can resume operations safely.

Bars will remain closed.

Sounds like we’ll know a lot more soon. I’m sure disney will clear everything up and all the speculation will finally end.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Bars will remain closed.

That sounds pretty reasonable. I keep having my doubts and then the actual rules come out and they are nothing like the speculation. You’d think I’d stop falling for it ;););)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Bars will remain closed.

So that is a “not yet” on vacation rentals?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'd read the Indian company would have 40 million doses by fall and all told different producers would be in the couple hundred million. Either are far short of the worlds population, but it's a good start and would certainly cover the "high risk" population.
If it works they can ramp up all over the world. We built tanks and aircraft carriers in a fraction of the normal time during WWII, this is no different. Every resource available should be put to use. Every chicken we have should start laying eggs immediately (unless this vaccine doesn’t use eggs, then they can lay eggs at a more reasonable rate) ;). We can’t rush the science behind the vaccine. They need to make sure it’s safe and it works, but once thats proven then ramp up production.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Basically he said if potential renters are from NYC or other hard-hit states, they'll likely be turned down, but if renters are from FL, it will likely be approved.
So in the case of Disney would it be up to them to monitor and regulate where people were coming from or is this just house rentals?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Once they themselves know I’ll dare say they might say more. I wouldn’t expect anything just yet.
Well I for one think it's ridiculous that Josh D'Amaro isn't personally posting a new YouTube video each day where he walks through all of their 142 contingency plans and describes how each one has evolved from the day before. Then we might actually know something!

fngoofy

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 1.05.29 PM.png

Only problem is that their numbers in FL have plateaued at 600-800 new cases/day, not gone down.
I think even that good news is based on the stay at home. Jumping to 50% is going to have an increase in new cases in 2-3 weeks, pushing it back to the 1200/day range.
Hopefully not, but from what I am seeing in the news, people are not good and following social distancing guidelines.

That sounds pretty reasonable. I keep having my doubts and then the actual rules come out and they are nothing like the speculation. You’d think I’d stop falling for it ;););)

DKampy

View attachment 470584

Only problem is that their numbers in FL have plateaued at 600-800 new cases/day, not gone down.
I think even that good news is based on the stay at home. Jumping to 50% is going to have an increase in new cases in 2-3 weeks, pushing it back to the 1200/day range.
Hopefully not, but from what I am seeing in the news, people are not good and following social distancing guidelines.
The question is what does their percent positive look like...that is what most states are looking at as testing increases...if they have ramped up testing but their case numbers stay they same that could be a positive thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom