Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Contrary to what most of us were thinking here that World would open before Land, this article puts a bit of a different spin on it. Orlando article.May 5th earnings call may hold some answers. https://www.wesh.com/article/disney-world-reopening-compared-to-disneyland/32322727?src=app#
That’s an interesting perspective. I didn’t know that only 15% of guests came from FL but I guess that makes sense. If they did the soft open thing for FL residents only it would be a really reduced crowd.

Kevin_W

Thought this as relevant as Germany is slowly reopening, akin to our Phase I, yet they are seeing a resurgence:

German confirmed cases: first graph is cumulative second is per day:
1588213938636.png

Call me crazy, but I don't see a resurgence in that data.

Same info, but for German deaths:
1588214044577.png

That is where they are getting their breathless "resurence" headline. From 2 days of increasing data. To me, that looks like a pretty flat line with some statistical noise. Or perhaps just an anomaly of record-keeping as the precious two Mondays are also low.

DisneyCane

German confirmed cases: first graph is cumulative second is per day: View attachment 467298

Call me crazy, but I don't see a resurgence in that data.

Same info, but for German deaths:
View attachment 467299
That is where they are getting their breathless "resurence" headline. From 2 days of increasing data. To me, that looks like a pretty flat line with some statistical noise. Or perhaps just an anomaly of record-keeping as the precious two Mondays are also low.
Plus the deaths lag the cases by 2-3 weeks so the last two days deaths are mostly not recent cases.

jmp85

Plus the deaths lag the cases by 2-3 weeks so the last two days deaths are mostly not recent cases.

I agree, I read through the article and it was very strange. Looked like something I would have put together in the 9th grade the night before the assignment was due.

Falcon3xp

If theme parks are phase 3, doesn't look like WDW will not open until fall or winter 2020 at the earliest. The $600 per week stimulus checks that some started receiving in April will run out after 24 weeks.
No one from Disney have got the $600 stimulus checks. Unemployment haven’t process yet even for some sea world cast members that started the process weeks before

James J

In the Parks
No
Thought this as relevant as Germany is slowly reopening, akin to our Phase I, yet they are seeing a resurgence:

Don't trust anything that comes from The Sun. They're a sorry excuse for a newspaper with downright shoddy and at times offensive journalism. Just google Liverpool and The Sun for the best/worst example.

TrojanUSC

Don't trust anything that comes from The Sun. They're a sorry excuse for a newspaper with downright shoddy and at times offensive journalism. Just google Liverpool and The Sun for the best/worst example.

Okie dokie.

Lilofan

Unless they plan a re-opening relatively soon they will likely just deflect on that issue. Say things like they are planning, when it’s safe, working with government officials, etc.. They have to discuss all parks not just domestic. I don’t know if they will have much solid to go on. I do know they will gush about Disney + and maybe ratings for the NFL draft.
With coronavirus affecting all industries, Iger may even give the people a tease of the possibility that the NBA season might be played at ESPN complex in Disney World. On the conference call he will have to address the Disney way of social distancing, face masks and the massive financial losses all divisions of the company are experiencing and the company plan to deal with the many issues. It's going to be a very much anticipated Wall Street conference call that the public and Disney staff really want to hear about.

Last edited:

James J

In the Parks
No
Okie dokie.

Fox News isn't any better...try somewhere like The Independent:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...social-distancing-lothar-wieler-a9490161.html

“Despite suggestions that cases of Covid-19 have started to increase again in Germany following relaxation of its lockdown measures, this does not appear to be the case,” Professor Hunter said, arguing that the rise in cases earlier this week was “almost certainly” due to testing levels dropping over the weekend.

“Rather than look at individual days and make inaccurate conclusions, it is always better to look at the smoothed data.”

He said the “underlying trend” of cases in Germany was still coming down on Wednesday."

Bartattack

We (Belgium) are going in a phase 1 reopening on may 4th. Most companies (industry and B2B-service...no shops) can re-open (with rules of course and social distancing). No restaurants and bars yet and no schools. Schools will open on may 18th for certain grades and with a limit of 14 students per classroom.
May 11th: other shops may open (but no shops with close contact like hairdressers)
May 18th: they will evalute how close-cotact jobs can re-open
Bars and restaurants won't open before june 8th. Big events and concerts are cancelled untill August 31.
A family visit or inviting a friend at home maybe possible from may 18th. More people can attend weddings and funerals... a day-trip to certain parts of Belgium maybe possible.

If at any time numbers go up after the partial re-opening, a re-evaluation of the rules is needed or a new lockdown will be implemented. The number of new patients in the hospitals needs to be under 100 a day. The rate of infection needs to be less than 1.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
We (Belgium) are going in a phase 1 reopening on may 4th. Most companies (industry and B2B-service...no shops) can re-open (with rules of course and social distancing). No restaurants and bars yet and no schools. Schools will open on may 18th for certain grades and with a limit of 14 students per classroom.
May 11th: other shops may open (but no shops with close contact like hairdressers)
Bars and restaurants won't open before june 8th. Big events and concerts are cancelled untill August 31.
A family visit or inviting a friend at home maybe possible from may 18th. More people can attend weddings and funerals... a day-trip to certain parts of Belgium maybe possible.

If at any time numbers go up after the partial re-opening, a re-evaluation of the rules is needed or a new lockdown will be implemented. The number of new patients in the hospitals needs to be under 100 a day. The rate of infection needs to be less than 1.
We are moving forward with our easing out of lockdown on a statistic based approach here rather than set days for certain stages. Hope it all goes smoothly for you over there 🙏

JoeCamel

May your numbers ever decline..

Seanual757

Orange County leaders said they will layout the county's plan on re-opening on Thursday (today) and I herd a report that Disney would make an announcement on 5/5/20 on the status of opening (I think it was reported on WFTV Local 9)

The Reopening task force included the following from Walt Disney World and Universal so these two helped mold what the parks could look like in a Phase 1 opening laid out by the re-opening task force.

• Josh D'Amaro, President, Walt Disney World Resort
  • John Sprouls, CEO, Universal Orlando Resort, Executive Vice President, Universal Parks & Resorts

WDW Resort falls under both Orange and Osceola County but when it comes to WDW they can follow either County, Universal falls under Orange County.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
With coronavirus affecting all industries, Iger may even give the people a tease of the possibility that the NBA season might be played at ESPN complex in Disney World. On the conference call he will have to address the Disney way of social distancing, face masks and the massive financial losses all divisions of the company are experiencing and the company plan to deal with the many issues. It's going to be a very much anticipated Wall Street conference call that the public and Disney staff really want to hear about.
If the NBA thing is pretty certain they may tease it.

It’s tough to say what they will discuss with parks. They are for sure talking to the major investors and they are already telling them a story so it may just be extending that to the public. Its a unique situation because there are literally tens of thousands of employees who will be hanging on every word. They will be addressing them publicly as well for the first time. I’m interested because of my love for the parks but this is life and death for a lot of other people.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Orange County leaders said they will layout the county's plan on re-opening on Thursday (today) and I herd a report that Disney would make an announcement on 5/5/20 on the status of opening (I think it was reported on WFTV Local 9)

The Reopening task force included the following from Walt Disney World and Universal so these two helped mold what the parks could look like in a Phase 1 opening.

• Josh D'Amaro, President, Walt Disney World Resort
  • John Sprouls, CEO, Universal Orlando Resort, Executive Vice President, Universal Parks & Resorts

WDW Resort falls under both Orange and Osceola County but when it comes to WDW they can follow either County, Universal falls under Orange County.
5/5 is the earnings call day.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Comcast released numbers for Q1 -

"Theme Parks revenue decreased 31.9% to $869 million in the first quarter of 2020, primarily due to the closures of Universal Studios Japan in late February and Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood in mid-March as a result of COVID-19. Adjusted EBITDA decreased 84.7% to $76 million in the first quarter of 2020, reflecting lower revenue and higher operating costs. The increase in operating costs was primarily due to increases in employee-related costs and pre-opening costs associated with the Universal Beijing Resort and Super Nintendo WorldTM in Universal Studios Japan, partially offset by lower park operation costs due to the park closures."

They did also announce that more than 15,000 construction workers have been allowed to return to work on the theme park in Beijing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom