Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

If we need to wait for mass scale testing and I agree with it, we will be waiting a long time for WDW to open. Considering we are testing approximately 150 thousand a week and most scientists say we should be closer to 500 thousand a week. If this is what Iger and Disney need to open, we are looking at end of summer? Who knows and things can change but from what he says...” the main thing is to have people feel safe”.. it’s going to be awhile. Unless of course the whole thinking of the Disney minds change.
That's what I took from that article too. Hardcore Disney lovers will go back as soon as it opens but that makes a small percentage of their attendance.

MaryJaneP

If the total number ends up the same, what's the difference if we get there quickly in a spike or slowly in a hill?

It is all about not overwhelming the ability of our healthcare system to provide care by not overwhelming the facilities. If a sausage factory can grind 100 tons of beef per day, but their injection machines can only handle 50 tons, the fact that 100 tons of sausage can be made but it will take two days, not one. Same number of final product, different timeframe

thomas998

Bob has said what it’s gonna take...and we aren’t close at all..

Of course when you read the "...more security to prevent potentially sick patrons from entering the premises. " You realize that this is more theater. We already know that people can be infected and shedding the virus like crazy for a week or more before they show any symptoms... So how exactly is more security going to actually help? It likely means thermal cameras which will really do nothing beyond making people think they are safer... and that will likely increase deaths not prevent them. Just think grandma and grandpa, two of the most likely to die from the virus will think lets take out grand kids to Disney after all they have all these thermal gizmos to keep out the sick people... and then boom the guy in the Tiki Room show right before they got there was infected and spewed the little corona-critters all over the place so now grandma and grandpa get to take home more than plastic mouse ears, they get to take home the virus that could easily kill one or both of them... and all because of safety theater.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's what I took from that article too. Hardcore Disney lovers will go back as soon as it opens but that makes a small percentage of their attendance.
And again...they can’t operate at profit with 5,000 sycophants a day in 2 or 4 parks with 5x
That number of employees...

This is the whole game and why Iger just started his demands...it’s a “mass” model.

Even if they do a phased reopening of not all things...that had to end quickly for the bottomline.

Jrb1979

Of course when you read the "...more security to prevent potentially sick patrons from entering the premises. " You realize that this is more theater. We already know that people can be infected and shedding the virus like crazy for a week or more before they show any symptoms... So how exactly is more security going to actually help? It likely means thermal cameras which will really do nothing beyond making people think they are safer... and that will likely increase deaths not prevent them. Just think grandma and grandpa, two of the most likely to die from the virus will think lets take out grand kids to Disney after all they have all these thermal gizmos to keep out the sick people... and then boom the guy in the Tiki Room show right before they got there was infected and spewed the little corona-critters all over the place so now grandma and grandpa get to take home more than plastic mouse ears, they get to take home the virus that could easily kill one or both of them... and all because of safety theater.
I guess you missed the part where when asked when people will think it's safe to return to the parks.

"It's likely that we're going to need some mass testing, at scale, and some form of contact tracing as well so that we can identify people who have been exposed or people who have had the virus and may be of harm to others"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No doubt theater is a big part of it...i’m a big soothsayer of Disney “theater”...

But that doesn’t mean that the real demands aren’t there...doesn’t seem nuanced to me.

Testing and Contact tracing is non-negotiable. He’s giving the states more ammunition for the fight.
They shouldn’t need it...but they do

thomas998

No doubt theater is a big part of it...i’m a big soothsayer of Disney “theater”...

But that doesn’t mean that the real demands aren’t there...doesn’t seem nuanced to me.

Testing and Contact tracing is non-negotiable. He’s giving the states more ammunition for the fight.
They shouldn’t need it...but they do
You simply can't have contact tracing in the US due to medical privacy laws. If you want to change the laws let congress do it, but at the rate they move the virus will be well over before that happens... remember even if they held an emergency session tomorrow and changed the laws those changes would be held up in court for years.

DisneyCane

And again...they can’t operate at profit with 5,000 sycophants a day in 2 or 4 parks with 5x
That number of employees...

This is the whole game and why Iger just started his demands...it’s a “mass” model.

Even if they do a phased reopening of not all things...that had to end quickly for the bottomline.
I would be willing to bet actual money that if WDW opened MK and the Studios a week from today (with enough notice for people to travel), they would each have an attendance of at least 15,000. I'm not saying they should but I don't believe nearly as many people, especially in the less at risk age/health group are nearly as averse to doing things like going to WDW as you believe.

DisneyDebRob

What did he say in there that "we aren't close at all" to? What he said is pretty much what is in the phased opening plan.
He didn’t actually say it. We can deduct what he meant when he says we need” mass testing at scale”. You can read that and say to yourself.. we aren’t even close. If they are waiting on mass scale testing, then we aren’t.

Jrb1979

Didn't miss it, just did what anyone thinking about what was said would do and ignored it. We can't do mass testing we can't even get all the tests we need right now so that's not going to happen... and the contact tracing isn't going to happen because privacy laws will prevent it so again that statement is little more than a Disney fairytale.
Then I guess Disney is not likely opening for awhile then. We may not get contact tracing but the other part about mass testing will happen. Its going to be awhile to get to the point of herd immunity that everyone claims needs to happen.

thomas998

Lol...gotta love the “Noose”...

Oh the irony, Iger who's leadership was responsible for countless Americans losing their jobs to cheaper H1B visa holders, and Tim Cook the wonderful leader of Apple another company that's so great at moving jobs out of America and into countries like China which started this whole pandemic. Could he not have found any worse choices than these two?

DisneyCane

He didn’t actually say it. We can deduct what he meant when he says we need” mass testing at scale”. You can read that and say to yourself.. we aren’t even close. If they are waiting on mass scale testing, then we aren’t.
What does that even mean? As Dr. Fauci said the other day, you can't test 300 million people and it wouldn't accomplish anything even if you could because you would have to test them every few days.

thomas998

Then I guess Disney is not likely opening for awhile then. We may not get contact tracing but the other part about mass testing will happen. Its going to be awhile to get to the point of herd immunity that everyone claims needs to happen.
Oh they will open as soon as the government lets them. In the end they don't care if you get sick and die after you leave the park as long as you dropped a big chunk of cash in the park before you get sick. If we are going to continue the slowroll of the pandemic places like Disney, sporting events and concerts can't be allowed to open... if you do open them then you should just open everything and let the chips fall. I personally would prefer they just let it happen and move on as quickly as possible, but if they want to continue the slowroll of the pandemic then you can't allow large venue events as it just flies in the face of everything you are supposedly doing to slow down the spread.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh the irony, Iger who's leadership was responsible for countless Americans losing their jobs to cheaper H1B visa holders, and Tim Cook the wonderful leader of Apple another company that's so great at moving jobs out of America and into countries like China which started this whole pandemic. Could he not have found any worse choices than these two?
There’s like 70 people on that panel...it’s everyone they can find with a big name to throw shade at Washington...it’ll probably work too.

I’d expect the same thing in New York with only one logical chair...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh they will open as soon as the government lets them. In the end they don't care if you get sick and die after you leave the park as long as you dropped a big chunk of cash in the park before you get sick. If we are going to continue the slowroll of the pandemic places like Disney, sporting events and concerts can't be allowed to open... if you do open them then you should just open everything and let the chips fall. I personally would prefer they just let it happen and move on as quickly as possible, but if they want to continue the slowroll of the pandemic then you can't allow large venue events as it just flies in the face of everything you are supposedly doing to slow down the spread.
I disagree...cause you’re forgetting about the lawyers...

How much does 1,000 cases and 30 deaths traced back to Orange County (either one) cost you??

DisneyDebRob

What does that even mean? As Dr. Fauci said the other day, you can't test 300 million people and it wouldn't accomplish anything even if you could because you would have to test them every few days.
What it means is exactly what he said. You need to ask Iger. I’m just quoting him. Then I made a statement that we aren’t close to mass testing so given what HE needs to open the parks back up,we aren’t close.

Jrb1979

Its why I think Disney, theme parks, and sporting events and concerts aren't opening for a long while. There is a reason most leagues are talking of playing in front of no fans for the time being. The best way to look at is til Sports start letting fans in the crowd then Disney is probably not opening.

DisneyCane

What it means is exactly what he said. You need to ask Iger. I’m just quoting him. Then I made a statement that we aren’t close to mass testing so given what HE needs to open the parks back up,we aren’t close.
Sorry if I was unclear. I was asking what is the definition of mass testing to you given Dr. Fauci's comments on Friday?

thomas998

That isn't true. They contact the sexual partners of people that test HIV+. I don't know if they reveal who the person was that tested positive. They were contact tracing COVID-19 patients at the beginning. Unfortunately, by the time they started testing and contract tracing there were probably 1,000 times the cases than they realized so contact tracing 100 people wasn't going to accomplish anything.
If you are exposed to an STD like HIV you get a notice in the mail saying you were in contact with someone it doesn't provide the name. But the problem with this type of contacting and all the early coronavirus contacting is that it is based on asking the person infected who they were in contact with. The only way that would really work worth a flip would be if they took a photograph of the person that was infected and posted it on the internet along with the name and the persons best recollection of where they had gone for all to see because the reality is simply asking Mr. Deathbed who he had contact with is not going to give you anyone other than the people he remembers coming into contact with. He is dying and isn't really going to be thinking that clearly about who he was in contact with over the past week and very shortly he'll be sedated and stuck on a ventilator to die which makes the odds of you getting any good information from him very low. For tracing to work you need to be able to go beyond what is currently allowed and publish Mr. Deathbed's photo and name so people can look and see if they remember being around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom