Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas998

Everyone is a clinician nutritionist/ registered Dietitan these days, so many experts in obesity. Glad we got that solved. (Hint: it’s not always just a matter of “eat less” )
where do you see that? Cannot find this anywhere. If you have a link to a study I’d appreciate it,

Near the bottom of the page. As I understand it, you get antibodies when your body is starting to fight the virus, so you would test positive for the antibodies when your body first started fighting the virus, but it doesn't mean you are over the virus. Which would make sense if your body is fighting a virus it will be starting to churn out antibodies for the virus but it will take weeks for the virus to actually be killed off by your body so during the first bit of time that your antibodies are showing positive for the virus you would still be infected and not actually over the virus so could still be shedding the virus and infecting others.

Disorbust

It isn't ridiculous because it is a fact. The theory being that the copious coughing puts the other patients and especially the healthcare providers at higher risk of being infected. I know this was being done.

As for the testing, I can't speak for high impact areas like NYC but in South Florida everybody admitted to the hospital is tested. The results were sometimes taking several days but they were all getting tested.

You were not put on a vent for coughing however in the begining of treating Covid, you were put on vent very fast because one at the time it was thought the best treatment and two less staff were at risk. A vent is a closed system and alot less exposure.

Once it was being determined that going on the vent was asking for a bad outcome they started using high flow O2, which puts more staff at a way higher risk.

Covid pts are a whole new world, we now tolerated labs that would raise every alarm in a "regular" patient.

thomas998

I don't want to get political here but it just blows my mind that some Americans thinks this is all a hoax. Ya'll go on protests and rallies and commit mass suicide.

Well the reality is there were always two different ways for a country to deal with the virus. While the vast majority have opted for the lockdown method of trying to slow the virus down (not actually eliminate it because that would require an all out quarantine and western countries haven't gone down that road), or a country could go for the let it happen method and get it over with. And believe it or not Sweden has gone down that road where they pretty much decided to embrace heard immunity and let the chips fall where they may. Honestly it isn't really a bad way to go. Especially when you find out now that the ventilators are a mistake and all you need it hooking people up to O2. Yes people would die going down that road, but if you are just going to use O2 and no vents we wouldn't run short and the number that you would expect to die from the virus wouldn't really change it would just have all the people that were going to die from it die in a shorter period instead of stringing the deaths out over a year or longer.

The key you are forgetting is that the virus isn't a death sentence. The media just continually churns out the doom and gloom showing the deaths but not showing the recoveries because recoveries are happy ending and the media doesn't like happy ending they like plane crashes and death because it is more dramatic.

Giss Neric

Well the reality is there were always two different ways for a country to deal with the virus. While the vast majority have opted for the lockdown method of trying to slow the virus down (not actually eliminate it because that would require an all out quarantine and western countries haven't gone down that road), or a country could go for the let it happen method and get it over with. And believe it or not Sweden has gone down that road where they pretty much decided to embrace heard immunity and let the chips fall where they may. Honestly it isn't really a bad way to go. Especially when you find out now that the ventilators are a mistake and all you need it hooking people up to O2. Yes people would die going down that road, but if you are just going to use O2 and no vents we wouldn't run short and the number that you would expect to die from the virus wouldn't really change it would just have all the people that were going to die from it die in a shorter period instead of stringing the deaths out over a year or longer.

The key you are forgetting is that the virus isn't a death sentence. The media just continually churns out the doom and gloom showing the deaths but not showing the recoveries because recoveries are happy ending and the media doesn't like happy ending they like plane crashes and death because it is more dramatic.
My relatives overseas sends me pictures and videos from they are currently at where the recovered patients of COVID-19 are given an applause by the staff when they are discharged. I don't know if it happens in this country since the census here is 10x more than what other countries are experiencing.

TrainsOfDisney

Like what?

I was crazy sick in NYC once and still went to the broadway shows I had already paid for. I have no clue what I had, or if I was contagious. Perhaps the next person to sit in my seat was high risk and I left a germ?

But maybe that’s how I caught it in the first place (I wasn’t sick when I left for nyc on that trip).

pdude81

Just after some advice please. I received an email from WDW today saying the balance of my holiday 28th June -19th of July is due in 14 days. We are in the U.K. and booked flights independently as we are supposed to arrive in the states on 7th June to stay in a villa for the preceding 3 weeks. I don’t imagine that even if WDW is open by then that international travel will be up and regular so we probably won’t be able to get there -even if we wanted to so soon. Should I pay the balance and see what happens or forfeit the deposit- $600 dollars as we have two rooms booked?
I thought you were allowed to cancel packages starting up till 6/30 without forfeiting deposit. Should at least look into it

monykalyn

Near the bottom of the page. As I understand it, you get antibodies when your body is starting to fight the virus, so you would test positive for the antibodies when your body first started fighting the virus, but it doesn't mean you are over the virus. Which would make sense if your body is fighting a virus it will be starting to churn out antibodies for the virus but it will take weeks for the virus to actually be killed off by your body so during the first bit of time that your antibodies are showing positive for the virus you would still be infected and not actually over the virus so could still be shedding the virus and infecting others.
ah thank you this! I Googled key words in every combo I could think of lol! Couple things (the article appears to be written by someone who mashed things together without a clear understanding) : the antibody testing going on is looking for 2 types - the immediate “rally the troops” ones at signs of initial infection. Then there’s the memory immunity- the cool kid who hangs back until needed at a later date- this is the one we don’t know how long it’s gonna hang for or if it’s gonna jump into the fight when the enemy shows up again. This piece also said it can take 6 weeks to fully recover - true- but that is the more severe cases, and made it sound like you are highly contagious during that entire period. In most cases 10-14 days after your last symptom you aren’t infectious anymore. If you have symptoms you have antibodies (hopefully) but that isn’t all they are testing for. And that’s why the recommendation is to self isolate for two weeks not 6 weeks if possible exposure.
I’ll reiterate this not making light of this disease or discounting those who’ve had it but it’s NOT an automatic death sentence for 100% of people. (I’m being presumptuous and kinda speaking for you here but from your posts I’d never say you made light of it :))

nickys

Premium Member
Just after some advice please. I received an email from WDW today saying the balance of my holiday 28th June -19th of July is due in 14 days. We are in the U.K. and booked flights independently as we are supposed to arrive in the states on 7th June to stay in a villa for the preceding 3 weeks. I don’t imagine that even if WDW is open by then that international travel will be up and regular so we probably won’t be able to get there -even if we wanted to so soon. Should I pay the balance and see what happens or forfeit the deposit- $600 dollars as we have two rooms booked?

Contact Disney (UK or US, whichever you booked through. They should allow you to cancel. Someone on another board was initially told by Disney UK that it would cost him the change fee to re-book, but when he wrote to them they replied and cancelled without any charge at all. I think they just took longer to roll out the dates for which they would cancel.

zengoth

DisneyDebRob

You are correct in saying it’s not a death sentence. It’s not for the majority. But, we are just finding out some of the things that can happen to the people infected that may give them problems the rest of their lives. I’ll link something I did about 10 pages ago. It’s a good and scary article but does show what can happen, and to many, problems down the road.

lilypgirl

It’s not just about you, it’s also about the high-risk people you may infect with the flu.
Again as soon as it is no longer a personal choice and made mandatory by the government I will suck it up and get it. You do realize that fewer than half of Americans get the flu vaccine? Also for me it is not just the needle issue. I have several reasons why I choose not to get this one but again I may not be given a choice in the near future.

thomas998

You are correct in saying it’s not a death sentence. It’s not for the majority. But, we are just finding out some of the things that can happen to the people infected that may give them problems the rest of their lives. I’ll link something I did about 10 pages ago. It’s a good and scary article but does show what can happen, and to many, problems down the road.

But the other reality you are ignoring is that unless there is a vaccine produced very quickly (which is doubtful) you will have the same percentage of people infected in lockdown countries as you do in the ones like Sweden that are going for a herd immunity strategy. The western lockdown strategy was never intended to stop the virus only to control the speed at which everyone is infected. So when that is the reality then the question shouldn't focus on what we don't know about the virus it should be on why are we stringing out the inevitable why not just get it over with and move on. That is what is driving some of the protestors, they aren't all clueless idiot that the media portrays them to be some of them have likely realized that the lockdowns as a way to stop the pandemic are theater that was never intended to actually work... and so why go on with the charade just rip off the bandaid.

Jrb1979

But the other reality you are ignoring is that unless there is a vaccine produced very quickly (which is doubtful) you will have the same percentage of people infected in lockdown countries as you do in the ones like Sweden that are going for a herd immunity strategy. The western lockdown strategy was never intended to stop the virus only to control the speed at which everyone is infected. So when that is the reality then the question shouldn't focus on what we don't know about the virus it should be on why are we stringing out the inevitable why not just get it over with and move on. That is what is driving some of the protestors, they aren't all clueless idiot that the media portrays them to be some of them have likely realized that the lockdowns as a way to stop the pandemic are theater that was never intended to actually work... and so why go on with the charade just rip off the bandaid.
Yes let's infect a lot of people all at once cause I need to go to work. 🙄. Honestly I am fine with the way they plan on opening things. Taking it slow is the best way to go. Ripping off the bandaid will make cases and deaths spike and we will be back to where we started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom