Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Mayo Clinic is instituting across the board pay cuts and furloughs to shoulder a projected $3 billion loss this year.

The pay and work reductions, which will apply to all employees at Mayo’s campuses in Minnesota, Florida and Arizona, will start in May, and last until the end of the year. Together, Mayo employs more than 63,000 people.

but but ... touringplans said demand will return quickly! There's even a blog on it! ;)

DCBaker

Premium Member
"With the tool, people infected with the coronavirus would notify a public health app that they have the illness, which would then alert phones that had recently come into proximity with that person’s device. Google and Apple added that people would have to opt in to use the tool."

natatomic

Osceola county just announced that you must wear a face mask in public starting next week. $500 fine or up to 60 days in jail.

Attachments

• 566D8323-F658-4625-B153-B05A8676E092.jpeg
    566D8323-F658-4625-B153-B05A8676E092.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 118

Kevin_W

"With the tool, people infected with the coronavirus would notify a public health app that they have the illness, which would then alert phones that had recently come into proximity with that person’s device. Google and Apple added that people would have to opt in to use the tool."

That's pretty cool.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

This type of system appears to be working in other countries. What remains to be seen is if Americans will be willing to put aside some privacy rights for the common good. I could see a lot of people resistant to this type of tracking, but if highly utilized it could be a game changer.

natatomic

This type of system appears to be working in other countries. What remains to be seen is if Americans will be willing to put aside some privacy rights for the common good. I could see a lot of people resistant to this type of tracking, but if highly utilized it could be a game changer.

Yeah, I will fully admit to being one of those resistant Americans. 🤷🏻‍♀️
We are just racing down this slippery slope faster and faster, and I can’t say I’m a fan...

Kevin_W

We are just racing down this slippery slope faster and faster, and I can’t say I’m a fan...

I can certainly see that concern. I think the technology behind it is fascinating, and it would certainly be useful for a pandemic like this. But I can also see the slippery slope. Do you draw the line at a pandemic? I'm sure law enforcement would love to use technology like this all the time.

The article states that it is months away anyway, so not a near-term concern/help with the current problem.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
no way, no how would I support this.
I’m sure you aren‘t alone. Of course Google and Apple and Amazon are already doing far more and people gladly accept it because they want to use their services. Don’t even get me started on Facebook.

I can certainly see that concern. I think the technology behind it is fascinating, and it would certainly be useful for a pandemic like this. But I can also see the slippery slope. Do you draw the line at a pandemic? I'm sure law enforcement would love to use technology like this all the time.

The article states that it is months away anyway, so not a near-term concern/help with the current problem.
We are still months away from coming out of this lock down. There‘s still plenty of time to do it, but if enough people refuse to use it then it won’t be very effective.

thomas998

Where did I ever say a coaster is paid for when it’s ordered? Hint... never said that. I don’t believe anyone else said it was paid for when ordered either. What was said is that by the time the coaster is being installed onsite it has already been paid for.
It was Lazyboy who said " Even then, the way coasters are sold doesn’t really make this possible. The park buys the track but it is the responsibility of the buyer to pick it up, transport it and install it so a coaster track is paid for well before it is installed. "

peter11435

It was Lazyboy who said " Even then, the way coasters are sold doesn’t really make this possible. The park buys the track but it is the responsibility of the buyer to pick it up, transport it and install it so a coaster track is paid for well before it is installed. "
Correct. He didn’t say it was paid for when ordered.

He said it was paid for well before it was installed. Since installation has already begun that means it has already been paid for.

Last edited:

Mander

In the Parks
No
Closed through fall? Meaning the fall semester? I'm not sure about that

I couldn't find any evidence of this. I work at a public college in Michigan and the most I've seen here are the quiet rumblings of "what if" we can't have in person classes in the fall. I think it's a fear and definitely something those of us who work in Higher Ed. should be considering but I don't believe any school has made the decision. When the first campus closures went into effect this year, the news spread like wildfire through our professional groups and on social media. I'd be shocked if it had happened and wasn't being discussed more.

JohnD

Don't want to go too far down this rabbit hole but I see a slippery slope. You start here. How long until China's solution of Red, Yellow, or Green designation applied to a device that you wear which determines whether you stay at home (red), green (you can move about), or yellow (you'll be red soon bud so better high tail it home).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom