Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

Short statement...trying to wrap my head around the purpose they are calling out there? Not sure though...thoughts on your end?
My read between the lines of "This revised framework will be based on the COVID-19 community levels, risk of new variants, national data, and the latest science." is that they're basing the policy on the "Community Transmission level" metric and not the newer "Community Level" metric. Along with looking at a national number instead of differences by locality.

Looking at the two maps, the first is still mostly Red/Orange compared to Yellow/Blue. Certainly a single national color would be more Red/Orange. That would match a policy of extending mask usage.

The second map is mostly Green/Yellow, so policy focused on this nationally could be different. It's a little squishy for Yellow so if you regroup it as Green vs Yellow/Orange the result would be different.

The statement is short, so it's not possible to tell if they're more concerned about staff or travelers. Someone like a bus driver or TSA screener would have a much larger exposure risk than someone transiting through. It could be as simple as they're most concerned about illness causing staff shortages and the easiest way to reduce staff illness is the increased protection of both the staff and travelers they encounter being masked. Combined with that it's easier to just extend the blanket policy than create a more targeted one that's different for different scenarios. Simple and consistent with the past vs nuanced and targeted, even if that means overdoing the use of masks. On the theory that over use requiring more often than necessary has less impact than under use.

Maybe it's just the second but they want to only use Green not Yellow to drop, plus a national metric. For instance, a bus driver going through the Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia tri-state area clearly has a higher risk than one someplace else.

So, just a big hedge that it's easier to extend and be sure than to drop and if changes bring it back.

Vegas Disney Fan

If we want to be honest, at this point, no one gives a crap about COVID. Why would people when they are staring at record inflation, record gas prices, and a war in Europe? I posted about cases yesterday, then shortly after realized that was the least of my concerns...

That's not true at all. Many of my friends leaving for spring break give a HUGE crap about covid and testing and such for travel. We care enough to wear masks to not get sick before we leave. I have many friends still worried about their kids who cannot be vaccinated. People are still wearing masks here. Columbus just lifted their mandate a couple days ago. Just because you don't doesn't mean everyone doesn't. Like saying because I drive an EV no one gives a crap about gas prices. I may have quite literally zero clue what our gas prices are as the last time I filled up was in November with a rental car in Florida. It doesn't meant no one cares.

I think these can simultaneously be true to a certain extent, Covid is back burner news, it doesn’t crack the top 10 on most sites now, but that doesn’t mean people aren’t still concerned about it, I have 2 friends that are dealing with it right now, one nearly 100% after a week of “hell” in her words, the other still fighting long Covid, she’s on month 2 of oxygen at home, thankfully not in any imminent danger but she’s been home bound for nearly two months from exhaustion.

Ukraine, inflation, gas prices, etc are bigger concerns than Covid for most but that doesn’t mean no one cares at all.

Vegas Disney Fan

Depends where you live. In Florida, I've noticed a lot less "give a crap" going on.. but I bet if you live in some others state it's still PANIC WE GONNA DIE!!!!
Other than speaking about people who are currently dealing with cases I haven’t heard anyone mention Covid in probably a month in Las Vegas. It’s like it doesn’t exist except while talking about those suffering from it.

That’s why I said above I think it can be both, something we don’t care about while still caring about it. I think we’re just so used to it now that it’s a secondary concern.

sullyinMT

Wow.

Our work just sent us an email, masks are now optional in non-clinical areas. So basically anywhere patients are not.

For me that means no mask at work for the first time in 2 years!
I haven’t seen an official statement from my employer, but things have been going this way slowly for about a month now. I was shocked to visit our lab for a meeting the other day to see a room full of maskless faces again. Other meetings have been held without masks in conference areas for the past couple weeks.

This is the kind of change that makes the folks on the Clifton Rd campus look increasingly reactionary. If hospitals feel it safe enough to allow visitors and employees in non-care areas to be sans-mask, the TSA extension looks gun shy. If it really is just to better define metrics post April 18, then what the heck has that team been doing in the time between the recent national mask guidance update and now?

I’ve been pro-mask and understanding of the need to be cautious in national message since maybe June 2020 (took me a bit to get there admittedly). But the CDC/TSA statement is maddening in its vagueness and appearance of ineptitude this time around.

ABQ

Other than speaking about people who are currently dealing with cases I haven’t heard anyone mention Covid in probably a month in Las Vegas. It’s like it doesn’t exist except while talking about those suffering from it.

That’s why I said above I think it can be both, something we don’t care about while still caring about it. I think we’re just so used to it now that it’s a secondary concern.
Headed to Vegas in a month, hope it is thought about even less.

Angel Ariel

If we want to be honest, at this point, no one gives a crap about COVID. Why would people when they are staring at record inflation, record gas prices, and a war in Europe? I posted about cases yesterday, then shortly after realized that was the least of my concerns...
i wouldn’t agree that “nobody” gives a crap about covid. Medically fragile and immunocompromised people absolutely still do, even with all else that’s going on. I get that that’s a subset of the population, and not intending to indicate it’s anything more than that - but it’s hardly surprising or unusual for the population it affects most to still be thinking about it 🤷‍♀️

Nubs70

I haven’t seen an official statement from my employer, but things have been going this way slowly for about a month now. I was shocked to visit our lab for a meeting the other day to see a room full of maskless faces again. Other meetings have been held without masks in conference areas for the past couple weeks.

This is the kind of change that makes the folks on the Clifton Rd campus look increasingly reactionary. If hospitals feel it safe enough to allow visitors and employees in non-care areas to be sans-mask, the TSA extension looks gun shy. If it really is just to better define metrics post April 18, then what the heck has that team been doing in the time between the recent national mask guidance update and now?

I’ve been pro-mask and understanding of the need to be cautious in national message since maybe June 2020 (took me a bit to get there admittedly). But the CDC/TSA statement is maddening in its vagueness and appearance of ineptitude this time around.
My company has:
to Covid
Stopped doing business in Russia
Passing out multiple price increases due to raw material price increases.

Last edited by a moderator:

tpoly88

i wouldn’t agree that “nobody” gives a crap about covid. Medically fragile and immunocompromised people absolutely still do, even with all else that’s going on. I get that that’s a subset of the population, and not intending to indicate it’s anything more than that - but it’s hardly surprising or unusual for the population it affects most to still be thinking about it 🤷‍♀️
i think im like a lot of people, covid..eh had it twice (yes i was vaxed before too) delta was worse than omicron but both not worse than when i had the Flu (not trying to downplay as its serious for a lot of people). i Hate getting sick!! simple cold or what have you. right now in FL you see people getting nervous because its high Allergy time from the oak trees here and other plants. Everyone is sneezing but its not covid! hopefully we get past this and get back to mostly normal.

Incomudro

There's a portion of the paranoid that care too.
Two years of scaring the heck out of the population can do that to people.
It can lead some of them to still be terrified even though the threat has largely passed.

correcaminos

There's a portion of the paranoid that care too.
Two years of scaring the heck out of the population can do that to people.
It can lead some of them to still be terrified even though the threat has largely passed.
There are a number who will have mental health issues for a long time to come. True. I wouldn't label it just as paranoid, this likely did affect them in ways most cannot understand. Not just talking those who had mandates like here who say "feels weird to go without" because it was worn for so long. I remember hearing friends do that after being vaccinated last summer.

There will be many various levels of comfort. Extremes and everything in between.

Incomudro

There are a number who will have mental health issues for a long time to come. True. I wouldn't label it just as paranoid, this likely did affect them in ways most cannot understand. Not just talking those who had mandates like here who say "feels weird to go without" because it was worn for so long. I remember hearing friends do that after being vaccinated last summer.

There will be many various levels of comfort. Extremes and everything in between.
Yes, paranoid wasn't the right choice of word.
I was trying to come up with something better.
I saw a psychologist on the local news channel yesterday, saying how difficult it is for some children to let go of what they perceive to be the safety aspect of wearing masks.
Mask wearing became a security blanket of sorts for a portion of adults and children.
Masks, and masking being a physical thing - it can be hard to let go.

correcaminos

Yes, paranoid wasn't the right choice of word.
I was trying to come up with something better.
I saw a psychologist on the local news channel yesterday, saying how difficult it is for some children to let go of what they perceive to be the safety aspect of wearing masks.
Mask wearing became a security blanket of sorts for a portion of adults and children.
Masks, and masking being a physical thing - it can be hard to let go.
Yeah for the ones who use it as a blanket it will be hard. Younger kids might not grasp changes as well which will be hard to discuss on appropriate levels. Many kids will have to work on fears which is totally different than the ones who just say it feels weird not to wear. I get the latter. After winter it always feels weird to go without hats, scarves and gloves on. Some will be slower to adjust. Some will need actual help from counselors or therapists to get over things.

For some kids this has been a good portion of their life they remember. That makes it so hard too.

I'm glad I have a level headed teen. He says going without is weird like I say with winter gear, but I'm sure it will become less weird as time goes on. He has some friends whose parents are a bit more strict about it (some simply for testing for spring break) so he's cool either way it seems. I expect after spring break less will be wearing. We get a lot who do cruises or Caribbean areas that require testing. Once back home the worries of just testing positive will be gone. I know there is no way I'd do a cruise right now. That's seriously stressful to think about.

Incomudro

Because science never changes right? No new things are ever learned, right? Hey, remember how people used to think the earth was flat? Oh wait. Some idiots still do. Science evolves.
It bothers me that the term "science," or even more often "The Science" seems to have completely replaced other terms like "evidence," and "data."
"The Science" makes science sound like dogma rather than a methodology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom