Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

seascape

Disney doesn’t need a 5th gate to justify higher prices. Only need to look at year after year with what they do.
Universal just increased their AP's 14% so I dont think WDW has much of a problem. Universal now charges $714.99 for their top pass for just 2 parks. How much more with they charge when they ioen a third park? Yet, no one says Universal charges too much.

CJR

Universal just increased their AP's 14% so I dont think WDW has much of a problem. Universal now charges $714.99 for their top pass for just 2 parks. How much more with they charge when they ioen a third park? Yet, no one says Universal charges too much.

Here's the real issue: If you're out of state, how much is a WDW AP if you wanted to buy one today and visit tomorrow?

What I mean here is that it doesn't matter, because you can't even buy a WDW AP right now. You can buy a Universal AP.

Ayla

Here's the real issue: If you're out of state, how much is a WDW AP if you wanted to buy one today and visit tomorrow?

What I mean here is that it doesn't matter, because you can't even buy a WDW AP right now. You can buy a Universal AP.
I believe the last price for a Platinum AP (which is the only AP out of state residents can buy) was $1400. I think. It's around double the price of Univeral's.

correcaminos

I believe the last price for a Platinum AP (which is the only AP out of state residents can buy) was $1400. I think. It's around double the price of Univeral's.
DVC can get in on Sorcerer's as well. So renewal I think is $814 or so with tax ($764 pre tax). Sure that's 4 parks with blackouts and not 2 but still high price compared to USF. Their pass with black out is $350. Highest pass is $599 for the 2. It's $789 for all 3 no black out.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I can't even begin to imagine how heart wrenching that must be.

I remember hearing about it and thinking to myself: there's no power on earth that could've prevented me from being by a loved one's side at their time of death, even if that meant ending up in jail. That people had to go through this, is inconceivable to me.
I'm still thankful for the nurses who set up video goodbyes

CJR

DVC can get in on Sorcerer's as well. So renewal I think is $814 or so with tax ($764 pre tax). Sure that's 4 parks with blackouts and not 2 but still high price compared to USF. Their pass with black out is $350. Highest pass is $599 for the 2. It's $789 for all 3 no black out.

My real point is, does it even matter if you can't buy them? Disney could lower the price to $100, but if they aren't for sale, Universal has the better option, IMHO. I can't say Covid is their excuse anymore either, the parks are pretty normal right now outside of a monorail or bus ride, so this AP freeze is something we can probably expect from Disney throughout the future.

Also worth pointing out, Universal's most expensive pass includes Universal Express after 4pm. With those $15 Genie+ purchases, the pass could pay for itself. Even if you don't buy Genie+, that is still a huge benefit. What's included in the package is worth a look, definitely. That's not to say it's cheap, but the value is there.

DisneyDebRob

You have bever asked me then. Both WDW and Universal are overpriced in my opinion. I also realize the market and if they are continually getting what they ask, then thats just business.
My original post was answering about disney and price increases.

Reactions: CJR

correcaminos

My real point is, does it even matter if you can't buy them? Disney could lower the price to $100, but if they aren't for sale, Universal has the better option, IMHO. I can't say Covid is their excuse anymore either, the parks are pretty normal right now outside of a monorail or bus ride, so this AP freeze is something we can probably expect from Disney throughout the future.

Also worth pointing out, Universal's most expensive pass includes Universal Express after 4pm. With those $15 Genie+ purchases, the pass could pay for itself. Even if you don't buy Genie+, that is still a huge benefit. What's included in the package is worth a look, definitely. That's not to say it's cheap, but the value is there.
I actually was more on your side. I was just adding how poor cost WDW is even if one can buy or for those who can renew.

Yes, no Genie+ even add on option for AP. As a WDW AP holder I'm a bit blah on them but don't like USF enough in terms of rides. I don't love 3D rides and USF is full of them

I cannot figure out if WDW not selling is covid or because of the issue with DLR and the suit. Though I haven't seen what happened with that at all.

Reactions: CJR

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think your estimate is a bit off. But it will be much easier to spread any initial increase when you have 5 parks. And then when the newness dies down, you have 5 gates and are better setup for the long term. Demand isn’t infinite. But how much does a 5th gate increase supply? A lot.
I think you are probably both right. In theory if each existing park not named Magic Kingdom was filled out with rides, shops, restaurants, etc so they could actually reach full capacity then it greatly increases supply. You could almost double the daily park attendance numbers at EPCOT and it still wouldn’t be closed due to capacity a lot of days. If all of those people show up with the current lineup of attractions it’s long lines and unhappy people. Same goes for DHS and AK. Those 3 parks have plenty of room to grow in both available space and expansion areas. MK is more maxed out.

A 5th gate takes the total crowd and divides it by 5 instead of 4 so in theory each park is less crowded with the same number of total overall people. Also makes guests happy. It could also extend someone’s visit if they assume at least 1 day at each park then it’s a 5 day visit instead of 4. Kinda like how a lot of people dedicate 2 days to Universal now but will likely have to up that to 3 when the next gate opens eventually.

In these “post Covid” times with inflation where it is and the job market maxed out it would be difficult to launch a project to build a 5th gate. It’s still a fun debate though :)

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I saw this earlier and honestly there was no way in. Your comments kind of tugged for those of us who lived it. We would have wanted to be there but when doors are literally locked and it is 10pm at night there is nothing to do.
This is very sad. I'm deeply sorry you, and many others had to go through this. Please accept my sincere condolences, Helena.
I'm still thankful for the nurses who set up video goodbyes
Absolutely.

Trauma

Oh goodness no! When I created this username, I honestly didn't even think about people reading it as Helen as that is not a common name in my circle. Helen is like nails on a chalkboard to me as Helena is like Elena in pronunciation. Don't care if it's with or without the H sound. Stupid me for not realizing 🤣

Anyway I just miss a few things at Disney that they pulled pre-covid. My favorite country at Epcot royally sucks. I feel their focus and slow as snail methods are killing it for me slowly. That and 2pm hopping. Hate all that.
Ahah I’m not the only person who got it wrong.

I am officially upgrading myself to “partially stupid”.

Kevin_W

I think you are probably both right. In theory if each existing park not named Magic Kingdom was filled out with rides, shops, restaurants, etc so they could actually reach full capacity then it greatly increases supply. You could almost double the daily park attendance numbers at EPCOT and it still wouldn’t be closed due to capacity a lot of days. If all of those people show up with the current lineup of attractions it’s long lines and unhappy people. Same goes for DHS and AK. Those 3 parks have plenty of room to grow in both available space and expansion areas. MK is more maxed out.

A 5th gate takes the total crowd and divides it by 5 instead of 4 so in theory each park is less crowded with the same number of total overall people. Also makes guests happy. It could also extend someone’s visit if they assume at least 1 day at each park then it’s a 5 day visit instead of 4. Kinda like how a lot of people dedicate 2 days to Universal now but will likely have to up that to 3 when the next gate opens eventually.

In these “post Covid” times with inflation where it is and the job market maxed out it would be difficult to launch a project to build a 5th gate. It’s still a fun debate though :)

Exactly. DHS/Epcot/AKL have fewer attractions combined than DCA. Just building those parks out is a much more manageable solution (adds no extra transportation infrastructure needs) than a 5th gate.

CJR

I actually was more on your side. I was just adding how poor cost WDW is even if one can buy or for those who can renew.

Yes, no Genie+ even add on option for AP. As a WDW AP holder I'm a bit blah on them but don't like USF enough in terms of rides. I don't love 3D rides and USF is full of them

I cannot figure out if WDW not selling is covid or because of the issue with DLR and the suit. Though I haven't seen what happened with that at all.

Completely agree. I haven't had a Universal AP since Diagon Alley made its debut, I just know the value it offers. They had an amazingly crazy renew deal each year until then. After that they started doing something similar to Disney, but I had already done everything so many times, it wasn't worth the extra cost to me. Since then, the attractions added has been mixed at best. Hagrid's is by far my favorite addition since then. The Raptor coaster is solid, but a bit too thrilling for me. Kong and Fallon were OK, but a bit boring after a couple rides, F&F was what it was. I go every once in a while without an AP and enjoy it, but once a year or so is enough for me, tbh.

Why Disney is different is a combination of rides like Peoplemover, LWTL, Kilimanjaro Safaris, but also, the entertainment. I have never seen a Universal show that wowed me, let alone many of them. Disney, in my opinion, has significantly better entertainment on a day to day basis - even today while it's still cut down a lot. That, and the food, Universal has terrible in park food.

Still when it's you're only option, one can't help but recommend it. I thought Disney's freeze was due to Covid, but I'm starting to think otherwise. It could be a bit related to the suit, but the capacity is mostly good at the parks. I think they want to cap AP's specifically and by limiting passes, it creates a demand for them when they reopen purchases, allowing upward cost adjustments.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly. DHS/Epcot/AKL have fewer attractions combined than DCA. Just building those parks out is a much more manageable solution (adds no extra transportation infrastructure needs) than a 5th gate.
Plus the upfront construction costs are so much lower and the logistics are so much easier to build. We are all happy to be roaming the country mask free and hugging strangers again, but the reality is that the impact of the Covid pandemic on the job market isn’t relenting anytime soon.

Lilofan

Plus the upfront construction costs are so much lower and the logistics are so much easier to build. We are all happy to be roaming the country mask free and hugging strangers again, but the reality is that the impact of the Covid pandemic on the job market isn’t relenting anytime soon.
Perhaps the not so steady stock market and unstable 401K may entice ones who were part of the Great Resignation and proud of it , to get back to earning and working?

correcaminos

Completely agree. I haven't had a Universal AP since Diagon Alley made its debut, I just know the value it offers. They had an amazingly crazy renew deal each year until then. After that they started doing something similar to Disney, but I had already done everything so many times, it wasn't worth the extra cost to me. Since then, the attractions added has been mixed at best. Hagrid's is by far my favorite addition since then. The Raptor coaster is solid, but a bit too thrilling for me. Kong and Fallon were OK, but a bit boring after a couple rides, F&F was what it was. I go every once in a while without an AP and enjoy it, but once a year or so is enough for me, tbh.

Why Disney is different is a combination of rides like Peoplemover, LWTL, Kilimanjaro Safaris, but also, the entertainment. I have never seen a Universal show that wowed me, let alone many of them. Disney, in my opinion, has significantly better entertainment on a day to day basis - even today while it's still cut down a lot. That, and the food, Universal has terrible in park food.

Still when it's you're only option, one can't help but recommend it. I thought Disney's freeze was due to Covid, but I'm starting to think otherwise. It could be a bit related to the suit, but the capacity is mostly good at the parks. I think they want to cap AP's specifically and by limiting passes, it creates a demand for them when they reopen purchases, allowing upward cost adjustments.
Totally agree. I have theories as well but I also just don't assume covid is the only reason now for anything. There's more to it.

This is very sad. I'm deeply sorry you, and many others had to go through this. Please accept my sincere condolences, Helena.

Absolutely.
Thank you.
Ahah I’m not the only person who got it wrong.

I am officially upgrading myself to “partially stupid”.
Nah I'm the stupid one for not realizing how much more common Helen A Bear would be to most 🤣

lazyboy97o

Orange is in the same situation, Osceola (where DAK is) is in green already. Orange on the 7 day numbers is already green based on the raw up to date numbers, but the map is showing yellow because of it. South Florida led the Omicron wave, and it's also leading the drop off, the green will flood upwards from there. By the end of next week it'll be below the lowpoint of pre-omicron. The drop off is THAT fast.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom is in Orange County.

correcaminos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom