Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

But why aren’t masks working?

As for me, Omicron is already in Sarasota. I’ve had three shots. If I get the sniffles, so be it. I’ve made it through alpha, beta, delta, and omega moo.
What if they are? What if without masks there would be 50% more cases in NYC than there is today? We don’t have the luxury of having a true control group. NYC, for a myriad of reasons, is a whole lot different than Sarasota and the density of population is probably a good start.

We don’t know what the absolute worst is, just like we don’t know what the best is. Truth be told, we are probably somewhere in the middle due to inconsistent vaccination, masks and populations.

LittleBuford

Would it be nice to go back to the summer of 2019 and hang out in a packed bar, shoulder to shoulder drinking and cheering some event with everyone right on top of each other without a care in the world? Maybe, but that's probably just gone forever. It's the new forward.
Why do you think this? I’m as cautious as anyone right now, but I am very much looking forward to a time when I can be among crowds of people again—preferably at WDW—and not worrying about a highly transmissible novel virus.

Are people in the scientific and medical communities telling us to accept distancing as a permanent feature of life going forward? (Not a rhetorical question; perhaps they are and I’ve missed it.)

ArmoredRodent

News

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court says it will hold a special session in just over two weeks to hear arguments on the Biden administration's vaccine or testing requirement for large employers and a separate vaccine requirement for healthcare workers, an announcement that comes amid rising...
apnews.com
apnews.com
Very interesting. Here's the actual Order: https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/122221zr2_f20h.pdf.
The dockets are really short: https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/21a240.html; https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/21a244.html. If you look at the dockets, you'll see that the Court shortened the time involved by a LOT. Very few briefs filed already, and briefs are to be filed by Dec 30.

Looks like the Court didn't read my earlier predictions of letting the process play out to create a record. Must mean they think they don't really need one. Consolidating two cases on two different statutes and allowing only one hour for argument means a number of things:
  • Briefing will have to be very quick, meaning that nobody is going to do a very good job, and there won't be a lot of coordination, in cases with literally hundreds of lawyers and clients. So the case will get decided based mostly on the parties' presentations, and probably millions of dollars of legal time will be entirely wasted.
  • Counsel gets, at best, half the regular time to argue unless they agree to split the time differently.
  • Argument will go long.
  • Most likely, the Court will deal with the overall questions of agency powers, and not get into the weeds much for each mandate.
But most of all, it likely indicates that various voting blocs have already formed and discussed how to proceed. More to come ... and over a big couple of holiday weekends!! Grumpy Justices, grumpy lawyers, grumpy pundits.
Happy GIF by Disney

hopemax

Why do you think this? I’m as cautious as anyone right now, but I am very much looking forward to a time when I can be among crowds of people again—preferably at WDW—and not worrying about a highly transmissible novel virus.

Are people in the scientific and medical communities telling us to accept distancing as a permanent feature of life going forward? (Not a rhetorical question; perhaps they are and I’ve missed it.)
For me personally, in the before times, getting sick a few times a year was just a fact of life. Nothing anyone could do about it. For me, it felt particularly bad. I am not the type of person who recovers quickly. Things that take my DH a few days to get over takes me 3 weeks. Getting sick ruined activities, I felt like I was perpetually recovering from something after traveling. And then when the COVID mitigations started... I haven't been sick once. I don't think that will last forever, but what it has taught me is that getting sick is not inevitable. I had seen Asian people mask while traveling or doing errands while we were in Hong Kong and Tokyo and wondered if it was really doing something. After this, I am open to the possibility that it might. I don't want to go back to that part of 2019 and before. If I'm sick, I don't want to feel obligated to participate in situations where I can make other people sick because it's expected to just "power through." If I can do things that do not feel inconvenient to me, like wearing a mask while traveling so that I don't get sick on vacation, that's a good thing. So I feel more aware of the situations in which I can get sick or contribute to making other people sick. Not just COVID, but anything and I don't really want to do that anymore. Like instead of dieting, make lifestyle changes... as far as sickness in general, we are willing to make lifestyle changes. Not sacrifices, just changes.

LittleBuford

For me personally, in the before times, getting sick a few times a year was just a fact of life. Nothing anyone could do about it. For me, it felt particularly bad. I am not the type of person who recovers quickly. Things that take my DH a few days to get over takes me 3 weeks. Getting sick ruined activities, I felt like I was perpetually recovering from something after traveling. And then when the COVID mitigations started... I haven't been sick once. I don't think that will last forever, but what it has taught me is that getting sick is not inevitable. I had seen Asian people mask while traveling or doing errands while we were in Hong Kong and Tokyo and wondered if it was really doing something. After this, I am open to the possibility that it might. I don't want to go back to that part of 2019 and before. If I'm sick, I don't want to feel obligated to participate in situations where I can make other people sick because it's expected to just "power through." If I can do things that do not feel inconvenient to me, like wearing a mask while traveling so that I don't get sick on vacation, that's a good thing. So I feel more aware of the situations in which I can get sick or contribute to making other people sick. Not just COVID, but anything and I don't really want to do that anymore. Like instead of dieting, make lifestyle changes... as far as sickness in general, we are willing to make lifestyle changes. Not sacrifices, just changes.
I basically agree with you here, but being more conscious of the appropriate way to act when you're ill (which is a change I too will embrace) doesn't, I think, mean the end of crowded and festive gatherings. At least I hope it doesn't. That would spell a very bleak future indeed from my perspective.

Chip Chipperson

Some good news, echoing earlier findings:

Not great news, but not as bad as it could be. If the spread is 4X greater than it would still mean more people in hospitals. If an outbreak of Delta would send 100 people to the hospital then a same-sized outbreak of Omicron would only send 30 (if using the optimistic 70% mark) - but if Omicron is spreading to 4X the amount of people then it would send 120 people to the hospital.

LittleBuford

Not great news, but not as bad as it could be. If the spread is 4X greater than it would still mean more people in hospitals. If an outbreak of Delta would send 100 people to the hospital then a same-sized outbreak of Omicron would only send 30 (if using the optimistic 70% mark) - but if Omicron is spreading to 4X the amount of people then it would send 120 people to the hospital.
I didn’t mean to downplay the seriousness of what we face and am sorry if it came across that way. But at least this variant isn’t (it seems) both more contagious and more harmful to those it infects.

mmascari

Forever is probably to strong, but for at least 5 or 10 years, which feels like forever.

Because people.

It’s no longer a science or technical problem. It’s a behavioral one.

ToTBellHop

On the other hand, perhaps it finally drives up worldwide immunity to high levels. But, I’m hesitant to be too optimistic of this happening 2 years into this pandemic...

Estimates suggest 60% of Americans will have had Omicron by late February (with perhaps 90% asymptomatic and unaware). That’s a lot of immunity.

And it is another rough winter for front line workers in hospitals.

LittleBuford

Forever is probably to strong, but for at least 5 or 10 years, which feels like forever.

Because people.

It’s no longer a science or technical problem. It’s a behavioral one.
I hope it's a shorter timeframe than that but acknowledge that it may not be. It's difficult to believe that we're already approaching the two-year mark.

Chip Chipperson

I didn’t mean to downplay the seriousness of what we face and am sorry if it came across that way. But at least this variant isn’t (it seems) both more contagious and more harmful to those it infects.

Oh I didn't take it as downplaying. It's definitely good news if the transmission rate is lower than 4X Delta and is still better than it would be if the threat of hospitalization was higher than it seems to be. Hopefully people don't get cocky and think it's no big deal, but people are gonna people, as they say.

Turtlekrawl

On the other hand, perhaps it finally drives up worldwide immunity to high levels. But, I’m hesitant to be too optimistic of this happening 2 years into this pandemic...

Estimates suggest 60% of Americans will have had Omicron by late February (with perhaps 90% asymptomatic and unaware). That’s a lot of immunity.

And it is another rough winter for front line workers in hospitals.
Yep to the last point. I haven't seen this level
of low morale in healthcare workers in the 20 years I’ve been in the industry. It’s getting really ugly. Just getting a bare bones level of staffing in some areas is difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom