Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizgirl

Those kids weren't in shorts and Tshirts, they were dressed in weather-appropriate clothing. Nobody who lives in that climate needs handwarmers or external heat sources in 40 degree weather, unless they have Raynaud's syndrome or something like it.

Seriously, I don't know where you grew up or where you live now, but 40 degree weather just isn't that cold for most us, particularly if you dress appropriately.
I never said students were wearing shorts and tshirts. Everyone is different in terms of their heat/cold tolerance.

I stand by my comment that if they did this in prison, someone would file a lawsuit.

Lilofan

To some it might be. It's silly to debate, no one is going to change their mind. I know I don't keep my thermostat set to 40 in my house though and when it's 40 outside, I'm not looking forward to sitting at my patio table for meals either.
At times early morning temps in the 30s and on an odd occasion daytime highs in the 40s at WDW in Dec/Jan and kids and their families deal with the elements standing in line, eating outside at ( ie Sunset Market Ranch ) at DHS. However some think it is a travesty that kids in winter wear are outside eating their food at 40 degrees. Oh, the horror.

Kevin_W

Those kids weren't in shorts and Tshirts, they were dressed in weather-appropriate clothing. Nobody who lives in that climate needs handwarmers or external heat sources in 40 degree weather, unless they have Raynaud's syndrome or something like it.

Seriously, I don't know where you grew up or where you live now, but 40 degree weather just isn't that cold for most us, particularly if you dress appropriately.

Actually, I have developed Raynaud's syndrome in the past couple years. The other day it was ~38°F and I was out playing with my dog for 45-60 minutes. I wasn't dressed as warmly as I could be (only jeans and smartwool socks on the bottom half), but top half had a shirt, fleece, mid-weight jacket, shell jacket, glove liners and ski gloves. I took the dog home when my fingers went numb, and even after being in the house for an hour and fifteen minutes, most of my toes we're still white.

I'm not sure why my body decided to stop flowing blood to the extremities (feet are worse than hands), but it isn't a lot of fun. (I was actually googling battery-powered gloves this week.)

drizgirl

At times early morning temps in the 30s and on an odd occasion daytime highs in the 40s at WDW in Dec/Jan and kids and their families deal with the elements standing in line, eating outside at ( ie Sunset Market Ranch ) at DHS. However some think it is a travesty that kids in winter wear are outside eating their food at 40 degrees. Oh, the horror.
Doing something voluntarily on a limited basis is different from being expected to do it every day.

LittleBuford

As someone who doesn’t like the cold and certainly wouldn’t have enjoyed eating in such low temperatures as a child (I grew up in London, where it rarely gets super cold), I would hesitate before assuming that none of the kids under discussion feel any discomfort during their outdoor lunches. That said, I don’t think it’s an unreasonable measure in the context of the pandemic.

Wendy Pleakley

There are people screaming, harassing, and protesting outside schools because they are opposed to kids wearing a mask or getting vaccinated. Uneducated parents are not getting protecting their kids by getting vaccinated.

Those are problems. This concern about kids and cold, from people who don't live in the area, is incredibly low on my list of priorities right now. I understand why people are feeling some concern, but please listen to the people who know the reality of the situation.

Joesixtoe

Vaccines offer an instant (or near-instant) measure of protection, whereas a healthier lifestyle can take a while to confer the kinds of benefits that might render someone better able to withstand the ravages of a bad infection. You’re comparing apples and oranges.
No, I'm comparing how one wants to go about protecting themselves or how they want to handle covid. Vaccines do offer great help at fighting off covid for the first 4-6 months. Then you need boosters, and there is talk of even more boosters. There is so, so much more we can go into, but I'll simply say a lot of people don't want to go that route, because it isn't the only route.

LittleBuford

When faced with a major and immediate crisis, it makes sense to prioritise those steps that will most quickly and effectively address the problem before attending to other, less directly relevant, issues. No-one is denying that encouraging a healthier society is a worthy long-term goal. But it isn't the way out of the pandemic, and to keep bringing it up is to deflect from what we can and should be doing in the here and now.

Disney Analyst

Vaccines offer an instant (or near-instant) measure of protection, whereas a healthier lifestyle can take a while to confer the kinds of benefits that might render someone better able to withstand the ravages of a bad infection. You’re comparing apples and oranges.

Vaccines also prevent spreading viruses to others. We don't a choice whether someone infects us or not.

Science doesn't seem to show that unhealthy diets, lack or exercise, or weight issues are spread in the air to others.

And while it's a great idea to promote healthy lifestyles, and offer incentives to do so, as you said, it is nowhere near on the same level as mandating vaccines. Can't be compared.

Disney Analyst

There are people screaming, harassing, and protesting outside schools because they are opposed to kids wearing a mask or getting vaccinated. Uneducated parents are not getting protecting their kids by getting vaccinated.

Those are problems. This concern about kids and cold, from people who don't live in the area, is incredibly low on my list of priorities right now. I understand why people are feeling some concern, but please listen to the people who know the reality of the situation.

Did you see the story on the BCCA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom