Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

Why? If somebody can easily elect to be vaccinated FOR FREE and chooses not to, why should there be no consequence when it comes to treatment availability?
Because I don’t believe it’s ethical for medical treatment to be denied to those who make bad decisions. Such an approach would see smokers, alcoholics, and countless other kinds of risk-taking individuals turned away from hospital.

Last edited:

mmascari

And for at least the thousand and first time, there are FAR more carriers worldwide than just in the US that give it a chance to mutate.
Need to start somewhere. The excuse of "we cannot solve everywhere at once, so let's not solve anywhere at all" is sort of defeatist.

Community spread will be around for a very long time. It doesn't matter if it is good, bad or indifferent. Short of instituting lockdowns it will continue to go in cycles from kinda low to pretty high for the rest of our lives most likely.
Just like the other poster where "can" was carrying a lot of significance equating two things that are not equivalent, here "will be around" is carrying a lot of significance completely ignoring the level of spread. Having spread around for the next 10, 20, 30 years at something like 3 cases per 100K is not equivalent to having it at 36, 66, 96 or 136+. It's just as defeatist to accept that 30+ daily cases per 100K is good enough and there's no sense trying to get it lower.

I had posted two different replies showing why reducing community spread matters and how it's continued high level is destroying a common thing we all depend on. They may have been a little to snarky though, and were deleted. Third times the charm, with 98% less snark now. :)

I wouldn't mind if it did. In fact, months ago I said that hospitals should set aside a max capacity for unvaccinated COVID patients and if you are unvaccinated by choice (obvious exceptions for people who have a real medical reason not to be) and need hospitalization for COVID then you are SOL.

This attitude (which I know is shared even by some of the people you spar with here) never fails to shock and dismay me.
It's the same argument against common healthcare or not treating those who cannot pay (either directly or with insurance). Something we've largely managed to agree is a bad choice, even if there's lots of differences on what the really means and how it's implemented for a different discussion.

However, in this instance, it's definitely a wearing down of people. Lots and lots of people are clearly doing the right things to reduce spread and impact. They see people doing the exact opposite and effectively making the pandemic worse and longer. Frequently while those same people argue they are not. It wears on anyone's humanity.

Like if I just walked to the front of every Fast Pass/LL/Line Shortcut and talked my way through why it's a technical failure and really I'm supposed to be there don't need to wait in the queue. Or, say I just walked to the front of every stand by queue and acted like I totally belonged there daring anyone to challenge me. Then, went on line showing how this was the best system, completely eliminated all waiting, and all it took was some supreme confidence. People who did the right thing, the things that maximize use by all, would be rightly mad at me and probably be demanding banning from the park. The bad actors are just wearing everyone down. :(

Lilofan

But I don’t view those who refuse to get the vaccine as bad, or selfish, or anything like that. I believe they’re misinformed and/or frightened, because there’s no earthly reason they wouldn’t protect themselves otherwise.
There are also groups of radical anti vaxxers. All of the above and they are extremists with not listening to any other opinion except their beliefs. They believe their thinking is the right one in their misinformed minds.

LittleBuford

There are also groups of radical anti vaxxers. All of the above and they are extremists with not listening to any other opinion except their beliefs. They believe their thinking is the right one in their misinformed minds.
Which is precisely what I’m saying. They are misinformed—deeply misinformed—rather than acting out of deliberate malice or negligence. I pity them.

mmascari

But I don’t view those who refuse to get the vaccine as bad, or selfish, or anything like that. I believe they’re misinformed and/or frightened, because there’s no earthly reason they wouldn’t protect themselves otherwise.
Each one individually may not be and certainly not every one of them. But, there are bad actors who are directly advocating and doing things that are and will continue to prolong the pandemic and continue to keep spread higher. Some of those are probably vaccinated too.

It's the overall wearing down of people.

People are done, tired, ready to have the pandemic under control. With 60%+ of the US having done the right things. The longer and longer it stretches on, the more they're going to not care about those who are dragging it out. It's not a happy place, quite depressing.

How many posters on this very thread have said, they're done, back to normal. Or, just never stopped being normal. Many hear that, and then look at the current community spread and impacts and think, "gee guess this is the new normal". If you've done everything right to reduce spread and impact and are starting to accept that those who have not are turning 300,000 deaths and 25 million cases yearly into the new normal. That if the impact to everyone who did the right things is going to be 1% of that huge number. It's easy to start to lose empathy for them as a group. Sad and depressing, but sort of expected. 🤷‍♂️

LittleBuford

People are done, tired, ready to have the pandemic under control. With 60%+ of the US having done the right things. The longer and longer it stretches on, the more they're going to not care about those who are dragging it out. It's not a happy place, quite depressing.
Perhaps it's because I'm an ethnic-minority Londoner that I can't view things this way. I am fully vaccinated and boosted and preach as loudly as I can to anyone who will listen, but uptake isn't as good as it should be among members of my community back home. The same is true for people of colour in the US. The stereotype of the loud, obnoxious anti-vaxxer is far too simplistic. I for one refuse to stop caring about those who are harming themselves by not getting vaccinated, even if they're making life worse for the rest of us too.

Heppenheimer

Like if I just walked to the front of every Fast Pass/LL/Line Shortcut and talked my way through why it's a technical failure and really I'm supposed to be there don't need to wait in the queue. Or, say I just walked to the front of every stand by queue and acted like I totally belonged there daring anyone to challenge me.
I'm getting flashbacks of a trip I took to Italy, where the concept of "wait your turn in line" apparently does not have an Italian translation.

Willmark

Why? If somebody can easily elect to be vaccinated FOR FREE and chooses not to, why should there be no consequence when it comes to treatment availability?
Are you stopping at just those who refuse to get vaxxed?

I’m sure if we go down that road there is a host of viruses/diseases/conditions that people would say the same logic applies to and it would probably not go over to well.

BuddyThomas

I've heard of 4% Lidocaine sold over the counter 30 min on the upper arm before vaccine shot . If one feels pain afterwards the good old ice pack could dull the pain area with its very cold feeling.
Got my booster today. Everyone was laughing at me because I was so panicked. If you ever want a good comedy show, come watch me get a shot. When it was over, she said, “Oh wait. I have to do another one. The first one didn’t take.” I said, “Another shot?!?!?!?!” She laughed and said “No. Another band-aid.” Also, the lidocaine thing is a lie. It didn’t work on me at all. Grrrrr.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Got my booster today. Everyone was laughing at me because I was so panicked. If you ever want a good comedy show, come watch me get a shot. When it was over, she said, “Oh wait. I have to do another one. The first one didn’t take.” I said, “Another shot?!?!?!?!” She laughed and said “No. Another band-aid.” Also, the lanacaine thing is a lie. It didn’t work on me at all. Grrrrr.
Good for you! Honestly I'm not one to laugh at this. I had to coach my kid yesterday with his 2nd dose of HPV. I can help him because I'm worse than him with needles ;)

BuddyThomas

Good for you! Honestly I'm not one to laugh at this. I had to coach my kid yesterday with his 2nd dose of HPV. I can help him because I'm worse than him with needles ;)
As soon as they start asking me stupid questions to distract me, I know they’re getting ready to stick it in. I don’t want to talk about what I had for dinner last night. Just do it and get me out of there. 😜

correcaminos

As soon as they start asking me stupid questions to distract me, I know they’re getting ready to stick it in. I don’t want to talk about what I had for dinner last night. Just do it and get me out of there. 😜
I get that! Though dumb questions are better than the countdowns. To this day I cannot keep from severely tensing when they do that.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Go express that in the next school board meeting if you feel the need for that.
YES!! Additionally, get involved in the PTO and help fundraise for things. Some ppl seem to think there are magical other people out there that will take care of raising money for their kids to have things/opportunities in schools. The reality is that schools often run on very tight budgets from year to year. Unexpected events, like say... a pandemic unlike anything we've seen in nearly 100 years... throw a wrench in those budgets. Volunteer organizations at local levels can help offset those unexpected expenses to some degree.

As a person in charge of fundraising for our high school music booster program, I and the others on our board and in other volunteer organizations WANT to help and provide our kids with every opportunity/advantage we can. Most people on the Music Booster board and grade school School Board and PTO (the organizations I'm most familiar with) work full time in addition to volunteering their time. It is often the same small group of people, year after year, who are involved in these groups and we've seen a drastic drop in volunteer participation since COVID in our local community. We are exhausted, just like everyone else, but we still do it. PLEASE get involved and volunteer! Even if it is just 30 minutes sorting pies or wrangling students before an event, or sending in a case of water or whatever. You have no idea how much it means to those of us who are doing the work behind the scenes.

Sorry, obviously this is a sore spot for me. I'll step off my soapbox. 📦

JoeCamel

YES!! Additionally, get involved in the PTO and help fundraise for things. Some ppl seem to think there are magical other people out there that will take care of raising money for their kids to have things/opportunities in schools. The reality is that schools often run on very tight budgets from year to year. Unexpected events, like say... a pandemic unlike anything we've seen in nearly 100 years... throw a wrench in those budgets. Volunteer organizations at local levels can help offset those unexpected expenses to some degree.

As a person in charge of fundraising for our high school music booster program, I and the others on our board and in other volunteer organizations WANT to help and provide our kids with every opportunity/advantage we can. Most people on the Music Booster board and grade school School Board and PTO (the organizations I'm most familiar with) work full time in addition to volunteering their time. It is often the same small group of people, year after year, who are involved in these groups and we've seen a drastic drop in volunteer participation since COVID in our local community. We are exhausted, just like everyone else, but we still do it. PLEASE get involved and volunteer! Even if it is just 30 minutes sorting pies or wrangling students before an event, or sending in a case of water or whatever. You have no idea how much it means to those of us who are doing the work behind the scenes.

Sorry, obviously this is a sore spot for me. I'll step off my soapbox. 📦
Some people think the community should fund schools so the parents don't have to. The benefit is for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom