Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the weekly report from the Florida DOH. The number of new deaths reported from the last report to this report is 325.

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 5.25.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 5.26.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 5.26.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 5.26.25 PM.png

Here is data for Orange County -

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 5.26.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 5.26.51 PM.png

mmascari

Vaccines do not prevent the spreading of the virus. You may think it slows it some, that I'm not to sure about, but I can't deny that either.
Vaccines greatly reduce, many orders of magnitude, vs being unvaccinated the ability to spread.

If you have a study that says differently, please share it. Yes, studies clearly say the vaccinated can still spread. But “can” is not the same as equivalent.

PS: It’s also more durable than any other mitigations someone may use to reduce spread.

JoeCamel

Wasn't this expected by the UF prediction?

I don't understand why it really matters anymore. Anybody who is 5 or older can be very well protected from serious outcomes by getting vaccinated and boosted if they choose to.
Let me help
Cases going up matter because those are a fraction of infections. More infections matter because each gives the virus a chance to mutate.
This is at least the thousandth time this has been posted here, if you choose to ignore or discount that you will never understand why it matters.

ArmoredRodent

Update on 3yo GS's vaccine trial. Got his second shot and subsequent blood work. No problems at all, although he said his leg hurt from the shot; probably more the jab than anything else, since he was running shortly after that. (Of course, he's ALWAYS running. I'm thinking of calling him Forrest Gump, but I don't think his parents would like that.) So, probably low dose or placebo.

hopemax

There is a pre-print examining the monoclonal treatments that performed well for Delta recovery against Omicron.

Regeneron -> nope
Eli Lilly -> nope
AstraZeneca -> nope
GlaxoSmithKline / VIR Sotrovimab -> works, but reduced

mmascari

I don't understand why it really matters anymore. Anybody who is 5 or older can be very well protected from serious outcomes by getting vaccinated and boosted if they choose to.
Because community spread still matters. High spread is still bad and everything else is a reduction from that starting point. Lowing that, lowers everything else.

Still a group project that needs a community solution. Individual solutions only isn’t going to cut it.

hopemax

Does your hospital have LL for vaccinated people? Obviously, your thing or most of our things won't be COVID pneumonia. That still leaves about a million other reasons to end up needing ER or hospital care.

Angel Ariel

Measure the risk Covid has for a 5 year old and then the improvement you see by putting them outside to eat. Yes. Exactly. It’s negligible. Don’t don’t give me some BS excuse.
Their being outside in 40 degrees is what you take issue with?

I'm on board that they shouldn't be sitting on buckets. Barring a last-minute urgent type situation, there's no reason they shouldn't have better seating available. But being outside in 40-degree weather? EVen to eat? Not negligence. Our school has their snack time outside in the afternoons. They tie it in with the second recess. I believe it has to be below 32 before they're not allowed to go outside for recess due to cold. I'm totally good with this, and honestly would be fine with it continuing post-pandemic. They've also had optional outdoor seating for lunch all year - note, optional. I'm also fine with that continuing post-pandemic (but they have actual chairs/surfaces...not buckets).

Nubs70

Their being outside in 40 degrees is what you take issue with?

I'm on board that they shouldn't be sitting on buckets. Barring a last-minute urgent type situation, there's no reason they shouldn't have better seating available. But being outside in 40-degree weather? EVen to eat? Not negligence. Our school has their snack time outside in the afternoons. They tie it in with the second recess. I believe it has to be below 32 before they're not allowed to go outside for recess due to cold. I'm totally good with this, and honestly would be fine with it continuing post-pandemic. They've also had optional outdoor seating for lunch all year - note, optional. I'm also fine with that continuing post-pandemic (but they have actual chairs/surfaces...not buckets).
My kid is worth at least a bench

Heppenheimer

There is a pre-print examining the monoclonal treatments that performed well for Delta recovery against Omicron.

Regeneron -> nope
Eli Lilly -> nope
AstraZeneca -> nope
GlaxoSmithKline / VIR Sotrovimab -> works, but reduced

That is... not good news.

For one, if omicron becomes common but not dominant, this would mean we would need to promptly start identifying the viral strand for everyone who gets tested. We currently don't have the testing infrastructure to do anything other than random sampling.

If omicron becomes dominant, then we're going to need some new therapeutics fast. The current monoclonal antibody treatements are probably what's keeping the hospital system from being overinundated right now.

The one silver lining is that omicron appears more mild (jury is not quite out yet), but I wouldn't rely on that hope alone.

DisneyCane

Let me help
Cases going up matter because those are a fraction of infections. More infections matter because each gives the virus a chance to mutate.
This is at least the thousandth time this has been posted here, if you choose to ignore or discount that you will never understand why it matters.
And for at least the thousand and first time, there are FAR more carriers worldwide than just in the US that give it a chance to mutate.
Because community spread still matters. High spread is still bad and everything else is a reduction from that starting point. Lowing that, lowers everything else.

Still a group project that needs a community solution. Individual solutions only isn’t going to cut it.
Community spread will be around for a very long time. It doesn't matter if it is good, bad or indifferent. Short of instituting lockdowns it will continue to go in cycles from kinda low to pretty high for the rest of our lives most likely.
Does your hospital have LL for vaccinated people? Obviously, your thing or most of our things won't be COVID pneumonia. That still leaves about a million other reasons to end up needing ER or hospital care.
I wouldn't mind if it did. In fact, months ago I said that hospitals should set aside a max capacity for unvaccinated COVID patients and if you are unvaccinated by choice (obvious exceptions for people who have a real medical reason not to be) and need hospitalization for COVID then you are SOL.

Kevin_W

Vaccines greatly reduce, many orders of magnitude, vs being unvaccinated the ability to spread.

If you have a study that says differently, please share it. Yes, studies clearly say the vaccinated can still spread. But “can” is not the same as equivalent.
That is one of the most common arguments I've run against, even by intelligent people who sue the headline of "can still spread" to delude themselves. (If I didn't already know, I have certainly learned that humans are very good at lying to themselves to justify behaviors.)

DisneyCane

Here is the weekly report from the Florida DOH. The number of new deaths reported from the last report to this report is 325.

View attachment 606519View attachment 606520View attachment 606521View attachment 606522

Here is data for Orange County -

View attachment 606523View attachment 606524
Once again the vast majority of doses are boosters. Once again, no evidence that very many people care about getting their 5-11 year old children vaccinated, the lack of ability of which was given as the reason to keep the indoor mask mandate at WDW.

LittleBuford

I wouldn't mind if it did. In fact, months ago I said that hospitals should set aside a max capacity for unvaccinated COVID patients and if you are unvaccinated by choice (obvious exceptions for people who have a real medical reason not to be) and need hospitalization for COVID then you are SOL.
This attitude (which I know is shared even by some of the people you spar with here) never fails to shock and dismay me.

DisneyCane

This attitude (which I know is shared even by some of the people you spar with here) never fails to shock and dismay me.
Why? If somebody can easily elect to be vaccinated FOR FREE and chooses not to, why should there be no consequence when it comes to treatment availability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom