Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
To each his own. I’m finding the more I do with family, the happier I’m becoming. May be different for others.
. It has nothing to do with spending time with family. Who do you think I go out to eat with? Me and my son get our haircut at the barber together. It's about living in a community. Right now we aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyDebRob

It has nothing to do with spending time with family. Who do you think I go out to eat with? Me and my son get our haircut at the barber together. It's about living in a community. Right now we aren't.
[
. But I said things could change for the better. You disagree. Entitled to your opinion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
On the flip side of that you have assume that they must be under reporting contractions as well, probably in the millions.
It’s not under reporting as such, more the information isn’t up to date. Mortuaries are taking 2-3 weeks or more to register deaths. Care homes the same, if not longer. Less staff everywhere and with other things taking priority.

Disstevefan1

The thing about nicotine is that it isn’t cancer causing or really harmful on its own. It’s the addicting part of it, like caffeine that makes it bad. Which leads to smoking and the thousands of harmful chemicals in the tobacco which is the problem.
If these researchers found that nicotine does help in reducing the chance of it being harmful, I don’t know how they could give it to someone without the chance of addiction. Could be a start for something though.

It has nothing to do with cancer. Nicotine poisoning is real and is fatal. We dont folks to start piling on the nicotine patches to fight COVID and die of Nicotine poisoning.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The day care for my youngest never closed. Just FYI. She doesn’t currently go but they are still operating.
In PA they closed daycare with schools. It’s allowed to open back up in the 2nd phase of re-opening. So would schools but they already closed them for this school year.

Disorbust

I think people should lower their expectations on a vaccine. Even if one is on the market soon ,how effective will it be? Corona virus and RSV are the cause of the "common cold" and we have not been able to create an effective vaccine for either one.

An effective treatment protocol would be more meaningful. Not this throw ot on the wall and she what sticks methodology that has been promoted.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
So a large portion of the workforce can’t go back to work. That’s fine but then the government will need to step in and extend benefits or more likely create a new program.

School isn't in session today. Either parents are going to their job and working (essential workers), working from home, or are essentially unemployed. I would be interested to know of those three, what the percentages breakout looks like. There's going to need to be a lot of government action throughout the remainder of the year regardless.

I think a lot of people are reshaping things in their lives from how we do things now. Myself and my family included. Home schooling may be more appropriate for the future with some families. People working from home more. I know my need to visit restaurants a few times a week will stop because we are enjoying cooking at home more then ever. I’ll also never go to the barber again. Wife does my hair just fine. She also got nail supplies and likes the way they came out better then the salon. Things are going to change for sure and a lot of it may be for the better.

Exactly. I think for many, there's been a routine of sort, but we're entering a new phase of life where financially it may not make the most sense to go to the salon or barber/stylist on a frequent basis. If you're able to save $20/month on haircuts (obviously more if you have kids, etc.) and $70/month on nails, then that's money back in your own pocket.

DisneyDebRob

It has nothing to do with cancer. Nicotine poisoning is real and is fatal. We dont folks to start piling on the nicotine patches to fight COVID and die of Nicotine poisoning.
I agree! Was mentioning one of the downfalls from nicotine besides the poisoning you had already mentioned. 🙂

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
In PA they closed daycare with schools. It’s allowed to open back up in the 2nd phase of re-opening. So would schools but they already closed them for this school year.

Those recommendations are just that, recommendations. States are going to do their own thing and do it their own way. There's nothing binding about what the government has put out. They don't have to follow them or even submit a plan to the government.

I think people should lower their expectations on a vaccine. Even if one is on the market soon ,how effective will it be? Corona virus and RSV are the cause of the "common cold" and we have not been able to create an effective vaccine for either one.

Correct. Expectations need to be lowered. If there's never a vaccine, then things are going to have to go back to normal and people will have to deal/adjust. The common cold is not just one or two viruses, but thousands of different viruses. That's why there isn't a vaccine, it would be too costly and who wants to be injected thousands of times.

The experts feel like they can create a vaccine, so we shall see.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Those recommendations are just that, recommendations. States are going to do their own thing and do it their own way. There's nothing binding about what the government has put out. They don't have to follow them or even submit a plan to the government.
The governor of PA released the plan to re-open the state. I don’t think that’s a recommendation. It’s pretty specific about what can open when.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I guess I am from the dark ages when we did not have computers and I remember being out of school for 2 weeks (illness) my school books and assignments were sent home. Strange kids can learn from books anymore
This what I was thinking too, but since I have been removed from Elementary School for WAY TOO MANY years now and I don't have children, I don't really have a pulse on how learning and teaching is done these days in elementary school.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
The governor of PA released the plan to re-open the state. I don’t think that’s a recommendation. It’s pretty specific about what can open when.

Then that's confusing, because the guidelines for reopening doesn't have schools opening with the second phase (Yellow phase).

Is there another plan?

_caleb

I guess I am from the dark ages when we did not have computers and I remember being out of school for 2 weeks (illness) my school books and assignments were sent home. Strange kids can learn from books anymore

Of course kids can learn from books. Do you know how much a textbook costs? How do you send work home to kids who don't have a permanent address?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I also don’t get this whole second horrible wave coming ideas. If I recall both Drs. Fauci and Brix both said it shouldn’t/wouldn’t be as bad and yet some of you insist that it will be. Are we no longer looking to their medical expertise for how to move forward or because it doesn’t fit into our doom and glooom fear mongering mantra so we brush it aside?
I think a lot of the fear of the second wave comes from history. The 2nd wave of the Spanish flu was far more deadly than the first. It’s not really a fair comparison though. The flu by its nature tends to mutate. While the first wave of the Spanish flu was a mild respiratory disease and not particularly deadly apparently the second wave was more damaging to the lungs so more deadly. Coronaviruses historically do not mutate like the flu does. Since this one is new we don’t know what it will do. Maybe it mutates into something harmless :)

The other reason people are talking about the second wave is the CDC guy mentioned it recently and it got a lot of media play. They are worried that when flu season starts up it will be difficult to tell who has flu and who has corona and if it’s a bad flu season it will spread hospital capacity thin. He said it to encourage everyone to get a flu shot this year, I believe Fauci said he thought it was very likely that this virus would have a second wave in the fall but he was optimistic that we would be more prepared this time and it could be less severe.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Then that's confusing, because the guidelines for reopening doesn't have schools opening with the second phase (Yellow phase).

Is there another plan?
Yellow is the first phase of re-opening. We are in red right now with statewide stay at home orders. PA only has 2 phases of re-opening yellow and green. Daycares are technically allowed to re-open in yellow but they have to follow some pretty strict requirements that may not be practical. I don’t know if many will open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom