Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveV

Whilst information like this comes to light, nobody is going to want to risk opening too soon! The problem is that everything needs further investigation, which takes time, and as much as everybody wants it to happen quickly, new factors emerge all the time.
Nowhere will want to be the guinea pig that gets it wrong and leads to further spread and complications. And that’s before they have assessed what their business model needs to look like under the new normal.

nothing is insurmountable, but I personally do think it’s going to take some time for reopening to occur, however impatient we all are!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Serious question for the people who say schools won’t re-open in the fall...who is going to be home to teach and look after the kids? Will daycare stay closed too? If schools and daycares don’t re-open do we assume all other businesses stay closed? The only reason this home schooling is working now is the vast majority of the country is not going into work and those who are have friends and family members pitching in but those people too are only home for now. The government will likely have to extend assistance if this is what happens because there will be a lot of people who can’t work.

I do think if there’s a 2nd wave that crushes the country some time in the fall that there’s a good chance we go back to some form of stay at home again including schools closing, but I think if the summer goes well most places will try to start school in the fall.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Serious question for the people who say schools won’t re-open in the fall...who is going to be home to teach and look after the kids? Will daycare stay closed too? If schools and daycares don’t re-open do we assume all other businesses stay closed? The only reason this home schooling is working now is the vast majority of the country is not going into work and those who are have friends and family members pitching in but those people too are only home for now. The government will likely have to extend assistance if this is what happens because there will be a lot of people who can’t work.

I do think if there’s a 2nd wave that crushes the country some time in the fall that there’s a good chance we go back to some form of stay at home again including schools closing, but I think if the summer goes well most places will try to start school in the fall.

Who will be home to teach and look after the kids? Parents. Just like it is now. I can't imagine schools/daycares reopening anytime soon based on what is being said today, which is that social distancing will have to continue. Schools + daycares are petri dishes already of germs and diseases that are transferred to parents, grandparents, siblings, and loved ones. If they're already viewed that way, then there's nothing they can do that will limit that. Schools are already overcrowded. You're not going to be able to practice social distancing in a school. Kids aren't going to wear masks. Why would teachers willingly put themselves in harms way?

On the flip side, I think we will see businesses reopen while I think we will continue to see a high percentage of corporate America continue to work from home. The client I work with has already said that even if they reopen their offices this summer that it will be for limited staff and they will be taking into account that parents won't have people to watch over their kids, thus working with them to support them through that. If schools are closed in the Fall, that impacts everyone and they will continue on the course they're working on now, most people working from home.

John park hopper

I'm hoping a vaccine will be developed and ready for the public by the fall.

"As many as 100 potential COVID-19 candidate vaccines are now under development by biotech and research teams around the world, and at least five of these are in preliminary testing in people in what are known as Phase 1 clinical trials."

I can't help but think any that show promise will be fast tracked by the FDA
I would not say that homeschooling is working now. My dad is a teacher for a homeschool network and he can't even get all of his homeschool kids to do the work. Seems like too many in our area just think school ended when the buildings were closed.
Where the heck are the parents ????

SirLink

Schools reopen in phase 2 of the US's plan. All parties involved in that have stated there will be no vaccination by then so I don't agree with what your saying on that. Also just read an article that France and the Netherlands are planning on reopening schools next week are they not sharing their vaccine with world? ;0

We shouldn't be looking at the West unfortunate as that may be - France should not be reopening schools. New evidence see below:

National Alert as more children are presenting with Covi-19 symptoms

Also Oxford University has stated numerous times they will have a vaccine fully tested and approved with 1 million doses by September 2020

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I would not say that homeschooling is working now. My dad is a teacher for a homeschool network and he can't even get all of his homeschool kids to do the work. Seems like too many in our area just think school ended when the buildings were closed.

At the same time, my oldest who has dyslexia and ADHD is doing better at home versus going to school. The reality is he gets more one-on-one attention and isn't distracted by the other kids. All of his assignments (required and optional) are completed by the middle of the week whereas before, he wasn't getting his work done.

We're seriously considering continuing his homeschooling next school yar.

Tom P.

Another big university opening back up in the Fall.
I'm not sure announcements about the fall, regardless of which direction they are announcing, mean much right now. Why? Because we haven't yet seen the results of any of the attempts to re-open things yet. Some states are just now beginning the process; others haven't even attempted any relaxing of restrictions so far.

The truth is that what happens over the next couple of months is going to determine what actually happens in the fall. If COVID-19 cases start tremendously spiking, there will be a pullback and you will see more schools announce that they are going to do some kind of distance learning. If things seem to go relatively well over the summer, more schools will elect to give it a try in person in the fall.

But no one can say with any certainty in April what is going to happen in September.

Tom P.

At the same time, my oldest who has dyslexia and ADHD is doing better at home versus going to school. The reality is he gets more one-on-one attention and isn't distracted by the other kids. All of his assignments (required and optional) are completed by the middle of the week whereas before, he wasn't getting his work done.

We home school our five children. So as far as school is concerned, nothing has really changed for them, which has been a blessing. I do wonder how many parents will opt to home school next year. Unless something unexpected happens, we are not likely to see a vaccine by the beginning of the next school year. I'm sure many parents will be hesitant to send their kids back.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I'm not sure announcements about the fall, regardless of which direction they are announcing, mean much right now. Why? Because we haven't yet seen the results of any of the attempts to re-open things yet. Some states are just now beginning the process; others haven't even attempted any relaxing of restrictions so far.

The truth is that what happens over the next couple of months is going to determine what actually happens in the fall. If COVID-19 cases start tremendously spiking, there will be a pullback and you will see more schools announce that they are going to do some kind of distance learning. If things seem to go relatively well over the summer, more schools will elect to give it a try in person in the fall.

But no one can say with any certainty in April what is going to happen in September.

Agreed. I think Purdue is trying to save face and collect whatever tuition they can. If they announced today that they would hold online-only classes in the fall, some kids would just transfer to a community college and do it through there to save themselves money. Same with incoming freshmen, they would just delay their admittance and go the cheaper route, especially if they're out of state.

In addition, it's easier for Purdue to continue doing everything to prepare for the Fall semester and then pull the plug then it is for them to say they're not doing classes in the Fall and then change course three months down the road.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
We home school our five children. So as far as school is concerned, nothing has really changed for them, which has been a blessing. I do wonder how many parents will opt to home school next year. Unless something unexpected happens, we are not likely to see a vaccine by the beginning of the next school year. I'm sure many parents will be hesitant to send their kids back.

We've debated doing it quite a few times. On one hand, the idea of peace and quiet in our house (I WFH regardless) would be great once my youngest is oldest enough to go to school. On the other hand, we've had conversations about going to the beach (my parents have a condo on the beach) and being able to do school there while also vacationing. It does allow more freedom if you have the kind of job that supports it. If we spent time with my folks here and there throughout the school year, then there's additional support for the kids in terms of getting work done and they have something fun to look forward to (same with going to WDW or even travelling overseas).

I think we'll do it for a few years, depending on how things go.

DisneyDebRob

I think a lot of people are reshaping things in their lives from how we do things now. Myself and my family included. Home schooling may be more appropriate for the future with some families. People working from home more. I know my need to visit restaurants a few times a week will stop because we are enjoying cooking at home more then ever. I’ll also never go to the barber again. Wife does my hair just fine. She also got nail supplies and likes the way they came out better then the salon. Things are going to change for sure and a lot of it may be for the better.

John park hopper

I think a lot of people are reshaping things in their lives from how we do things now. Myself and my family included. Home schooling may be more appropriate for the future with some families. People working from home more. I know my need to visit restaurants a few times a week will stop because we are enjoying cooking at home more then ever. I’ll also never go to the barber again. Wife does my hair just fine. She also got nail supplies and likes the way they came out better then the salon. Things are going to change for sure and a lot of it may be for the better.
I can say our family has always been pretty self-sufficient, It's amazing what you can do for yourself when you have to.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Where the heck are the parents ????
Working? Doing their best to survive? Mom is home with 3 kids trying to get them all into virtual classrooms, or assignments, while Dad is an essential worker? Or vice versa, Dad is home with the kids while mom is working 12 hour shifts at the hospital? For example, I know a family where the Dad is a cop, the Mom is a Nurse, and they have two school age children. Not so easy. Anyways....

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
None of this sounds "better" to me.

Tom P.

Just two random points from discussions I am seeing here:

1. There is a difference between true home schooling and virtual education through a traditional school. Especially when that virtual education was done at the last minute and in a very haphazard manner. I would imagine many kids right now who were in class most of the year are now just seeing this as an extended summer vacation. That's not the case in a normal home schooling situation.

2. There are many working parents who home school. It is not for everyone, but it can be done. Home schoolers are not all stay-at-home parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom