Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

I'm hopeful classes will resume in August with medical professionals having a better understanding of what will be necessary to keep everyone safe. At the same time reality is teen kids don't keep from holding hands, kissing thier other halves at school while younger ones are still learning their self control. It'd be the same issues with a bigger concern than "breaking a school rule".
Agreed. And I really hope those in charge realize this because unless there are multiple, effective treatments available by then, there's no way my kids will be attending school.

seabreezept813

Agreed. And I really hope those in charge realize this because unless there are multiple, effective treatments available by then, there's no way my kids will be attending school.

This is a fair point, but schools need to get back in session. I’m curious how it can happen. So far all information tells us that kids are pretty resistant to this—obviously with some exceptions. As a teacher, I feel like I’m just delaying the inevitable with getting this virus because once we go back I’m sure I’ll pick it up. Hopefully we’ll have an effective treatment by then. I wonder about masks in schools. I could teach with a mask on but it would be strange and uncomfortable of course. I teach high school so I don’t see a fear factor, but my 2 year old is scared of the masks so for younger kids they will need to be normalized if there are still recommendations.
The week before we closed, kids were already starting to adjust to more sanitary behaviors without direct instruction. Wiping down their desks before class or using sanitizer. Our school already has flu season cleaning protocol so I imagine with a plan schools will return and be as safe as they can. We have a few months still to find out.

Nubs70

There are more and more cases that indicate this might not be true. My EXTREMELY healthy sister-in-law just spent a week struggling to breathe...yet my 6-years-an-ex-smoker brother-in-law didn't experience respiratory issues at all while he was suffering from COVID-19. He's maybe 10 years older than her...and she has always been sickeningly healthy. Young people with zero underlying health conditions are being killed by this virus. He DID experience severe (and moving) pain throughout his body, while she did not.
Overseas data suggests smokers have an 80% less chance of contracting C19

ImperfectPixie

Overseas data suggests smokers have an 80% less chance of contracting C19
I know...it's very bizarre. My BIL also had open-heart surgery (not sure exactly for what) that makes him high risk as well as being overweight (but not obese). It makes zero sense.

note2001

Baloo62

Let me preface my post by stating that I have been an elementary school teacher for 25 years. We had an early spring break this year and were so fortunate to spend our vacation at WDW the week before they closed. Luckily we were able to experience Rise of the Resistance, Smuggler's Run, and even Runaway Railway during our 8 night stay. On Thursday, March 12, we had just finished dinner at 'Ohana and left to do some shopping downstairs at BouTiki. As I was checking out, a cast member came from the back and told us she had just heard they would be closing the parks down on Monday. I was absolutely shocked. Out of concern, we decided to cut our trip a day short and return home the following day. During the entire 11 hour drive home, I listened to every news channel I could find to get the latest information. By the time we pulled in our driveway, I told my wife there would be no school for the remainder of the year. No one with whom I shared my prediction believed me. Not one person. Nonetheless, I was 100% correct. It was with this same certainty that I predicted on March 30 that schools would not resume in August, either. I base this on one simple logistical fact...there is absolutely no way to maintain social distancing standards in a school setting, whether it be in the classroom, cafeteria or restrooms. Most classrooms are now designed for collaborative learning with trapezoid-shaped desks to better facilitate small groups. While its true that the desks can be separated, student numbers would have to be decreased by at least 70% in each room to create a six-foot buffer zone around each child. So will any school or district create the extra classrooms needed to accommodate the hundreds of students displaced due to social distancing? Will they hire an army of additional faculty to supervise those spaces and teach those displaced students? Of course not. The bottom line is this; until social distancing protocols are COMPLETELY rescinded (or moved to a less regulatory "Phase") , schools will remain closed...whether we like it or not.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Let me preface my post by stating that I have been an elementary school teacher for 25 years. We had an early spring break this year and were so fortunate to spend our vacation at WDW the week before they closed. Luckily we were able to experience Rise of the Resistance, Smuggler's Run, and even Runaway Railway during our 8 night stay. On Thursday, March 12, we had just finished dinner at 'Ohana and left to do some shopping downstairs at BouTiki. As I was checking out, a cast member came from the back and told us she had just heard they would be closing the parks down on Monday. I was absolutely shocked. Out of concern, we decided to cut our trip a day short and return home the following day. During the entire 11 hour drive home, I listened to every news channel I could find to get the latest information. By the time we pulled in our driveway, I told my wife there would be no school for the remainder of the year. No one with whom I shared my prediction believed me. Not one person. Nonetheless, I was 100% correct. It was with this same certainty that I predicted on March 30 that schools would not resume in August, either. I base this on one simple logistical fact...there is absolutely no way to maintain social distancing standards in a school setting, whether it be in the classroom, cafeteria or restrooms. Most classrooms are now designed for collaborative learning with trapezoid-shaped desks to better facilitate small groups. While its true that the desks can be separated, student numbers would have to be decreased by at least 70% in each room to create a six-foot buffer zone around each child. So will any school or district create the extra classrooms needed to accommodate the hundreds of students displaced due to social distancing? Will they hire an army of additional faculty to supervise those spaces and teach those displaced students? Of course not. The bottom line is this; until social distancing protocols are COMPLETELY rescinded (not relaxed or moved to a less regulatory "Phase") , schools will remain closed...whether we like it or not.
There's just no way the schools can guarantee safety. It's not their fault...it's just the nature of the virus. And the kids and staff wouldn't be the only ones at risk - everyone they all come into contact with would be at risk as well, and would include many who are vulnerable to severe symptoms. With society as litigious as it is these days, and parents expecting what they do from schools and educational staff, I just don't see any way for schools to open in the fall unless we come across some miracle cure.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
There's just no way the schools can guarantee safety. It's not their fault...it's just the nature of the virus. And the kids and staff wouldn't be the only ones at risk - everyone they all come into contact with would be at risk as well, and would include many who are vulnerable to severe symptoms. With society as litigious as it is these days, and parents expecting what they do from schools and educational staff, I just don't see any way for schools to open in the fall unless we come across some miracle cure.

Schools can reopen when a state hits phase 2. If a state wants to keep them closed when they reach that point, I guess that is up to them. But that would be going against the recommendations from those who pushed this mitigation from the beginning.

Disney Analyst

jensenrick

Testing hasn’t been widespread yet, but herd immunity has already shown to be the final and quickest solution.

I assume I have had it already.

Which reminds me! Just last night I had issued the first unit of convalescent plasma from our blood bank to a critical Covid patient, and I hear she's doing well!

So, a gentle but also with Much Begging reminder to all those who've said, "I've had it already and recovered," PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go to your local blood donation center and donate plasma. Blood and plasma are such rare and vital resources, always but especially now.

Thank you for your attention, sorry for being off topic.

Falcon3xp

I read this in other thread and I found it interesting and then one page later other post and founded Funy. And different the conversation can be 😂. What you guys think?:
1)
I am on the phone with DVC member services right now. I wanted to modify my trip. The CM said that the parks are scheduled to open June 15. They may not open then, but they will not open before June 15. Magic Kingdom area is the ONLY area that will be open. Magic KIngdom will be the only park open. This will be Phase one. They will open other parks as they see how Phase one goes.

There will be NO FAST PASSES, NO CHARACTER MEETINGS AND VERY LIMITED RESTAURANTS. There will be a "digital registry" for rides. Again, MK is the only park opening JUne 15 until later phases.

He (the CM) also said that EPCOT will be the LAST park to open. I am on hold right now getting my OTU points refunded.

I have never had a CM (during this closure) be so candid and forthright with information.

i am on hold so if you ask quickly then i may can get your question in to him.

I totally believe her but well I am sure the cast members on the phone we know they don’t have the latest info that can give anyways and
Fee pages later came this one IoI

2)
Here we go. As most of you remember I posted up about the May 19th opening and all the guidelines I was given by my insider source. Here is the latest update I received yesterday. And to clarify, my source works for Disney though not a CM the way we view most CM's. My source is not front line, not phone, not DVC. Think above all that. Anyway,
June 1st WDW opens.
MK, AK, HS, DS and 1 water park. Mini Golf also opens. EP is on the table but may not open for a few weeks only because of the international employees they will need to bring back.
All WDW resorts open including the Wyndham resorts. Pools and Arcades will be open. Club Level lounges will be open only for coffee, soft drinks and adult beverages. Pre packaged snacks and fruits will be made available. No Breakfast, evening small plates or any CM prepared foods.
To enter a park you have to either be a resort guest with tickets or an AP holder. Everyone will be required to wear a Magic Band. If you don't have one, a complementary gray one will be issued.
All restaurants on property, except buffets, will be open with strict social distancing enforced.
Ride ques will enforce spacing between groups.
All walkways will operate like a road. Stay to the right.
No dessert parties or private tours with the exception of the VIP tour.
FP+ will be available but No single rider lines.
Busses, ferry boats, Monorail and Minnie Vans will be in operation. Uber and regular Lyft will not be available.

This is all tentative so please don't make any plans based on what I wrote. Things at WDW are very fluid and changing daily. I will update if I get any more information.

so it will be 1 or 2 or 3 IoI

Jose Carioca

I read this in other thread and I found it interesting and then one page later other post and founded Funy. And different the conversation can be 😂. What you guys think?:
1)
I am on the phone with DVC member services right now. I wanted to modify my trip. The CM said that the parks are scheduled to open June 15. They may not open then, but they will not open before June 15. Magic Kingdom area is the ONLY area that will be open. Magic KIngdom will be the only park open. This will be Phase one. They will open other parks as they see how Phase one goes.

There will be NO FAST PASSES, NO CHARACTER MEETINGS AND VERY LIMITED RESTAURANTS. There will be a "digital registry" for rides. Again, MK is the only park opening JUne 15 until later phases.

He (the CM) also said that EPCOT will be the LAST park to open. I am on hold right now getting my OTU points refunded.

I have never had a CM (during this closure) be so candid and forthright with information.

i am on hold so if you ask quickly then i may can get your question in to him.

I totally believe her but well I am sure the cast members on the phone we know they don’t have the latest info that can give anyways and
Fee pages later came this one IoI

2)
Here we go. As most of you remember I posted up about the May 19th opening and all the guidelines I was given by my insider source. Here is the latest update I received yesterday. And to clarify, my source works for Disney though not a CM the way we view most CM's. My source is not front line, not phone, not DVC. Think above all that. Anyway,
June 1st WDW opens.
MK, AK, HS, DS and 1 water park. Mini Golf also opens. EP is on the table but may not open for a few weeks only because of the international employees they will need to bring back.
All WDW resorts open including the Wyndham resorts. Pools and Arcades will be open. Club Level lounges will be open only for coffee, soft drinks and adult beverages. Pre packaged snacks and fruits will be made available. No Breakfast, evening small plates or any CM prepared foods.
To enter a park you have to either be a resort guest with tickets or an AP holder. Everyone will be required to wear a Magic Band. If you don't have one, a complementary gray one will be issued.
All restaurants on property, except buffets, will be open with strict social distancing enforced.
Ride ques will enforce spacing between groups.
All walkways will operate like a road. Stay to the right.
No dessert parties or private tours with the exception of the VIP tour.
FP+ will be available but No single rider lines.
Busses, ferry boats, Monorail and Minnie Vans will be in operation. Uber and regular Lyft will not be available.

This is all tentative so please don't make any plans based on what I wrote. Things at WDW are very fluid and changing daily. I will update if I get any more information.

so it will be 1 or 2 or 3 IoI
How about the skyline and if only 1 waterpark, did your source say BB or TL?

MotherOfBirds

Yep children are walking petri dishes. Letting them bring in their germs, trade them around with each other like Pokemon cards, and then sending them home to their families is such a fantastically awful idea.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom