Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree, and this is only 1 simple example but what about flights, metro, subway, train, meetings, parties, celebrations, tour operators, hotels, concerts, plays, parks, classrooms, hospitals, sports, banks, etc!'
These examples cannot operate at a 50% capacity!
The ones not crossed can. The ones crossed aren’t expecting to happen in the near term. Ones underlined can with specific restrictions.

DisneyDebRob

It was from the other thread here. Here’s the post:
And this is my problem with any that say it will be crowded when it reopens.
If it all comes together as the post has said, is anyone investing 3,4,5...10 thousand in that? I know it would probably be just locals for day visits but it would cost Disney a fortune running the place like this .

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And this is my problem with any that say it will be crowded when it reopens.
If it all comes together as the post has said, is anyone investing 3,45.. 10 thousand in that? I know it would probably be just locals for day visits butit would cost Disney a fortune running the place like this .
There will be some people who will jump at it.

I imagine that the plan would be to do that for a short period as a trial run. The bean counters would have to run the numbers but if it doesn’t make money than I imagine they won’t do it for more than a few weeks to a month. It’s not a great help for CMs either. With just MK and monorail resorts that’s only 25% of park workers and maybe 10% of hotel ones. Plus no water parks and no monorail or boats. That’s a whole lot of CMs still on furlough. It’s better than nothing though. The FL governor said recently he was opposed to theaters and other indoor gathering places for the initial phase so I wouldn’t expect something like this for a little while still. The execs in CA would also still need to green light it.

DisneyDebRob

We were able to salvage all our DVC points and plan on going next May instead of this May. But we will be closely watching the restrictions. Better to lose the points than spend $$$$ on a vacation that will be seriously impacted by this virus.
We have some big decisions to make also with our borrowed points from 2021 and having used them for the end of this year.

DisneyDebRob

There will be some people who will jump at it.

I imagine that the plan would be to do that for a short period as a trial run. The bean counters would have to run the numbers but if it doesn’t make money than I imagine they won’t do it for more than a few weeks to a month. It’s not a great help for CMs either. With just MK and monorail resorts that’s only 25% of park workers and maybe 10% of hotel ones. Plus no water parks and no monorail or boats. That’s a whole lot of CMs still on furlough. It’s better than nothing though. The FL governor said recently he was opposed to theaters and other indoor gathering places for the initial phase so I wouldn’t expect something like this for a little while still. The execs in CA would also still need to green light it.
Well I hope they have fun and feel they are getting there money’s worth.
Nothing about buses unless I missed that. So just MK open, no transportation but buses. I would think the bean counters would seriously take a good hard look at that before opening. Which I’m sure they are doing now. I still can’t see anyway this is possible the way it’s laid out. Might work if there’s only a hundred people. Little sarcasm but I think you know what I mean.

_caleb

Essentially sums up

Aren't we doing that now?
Besides, during WW2 - civilians in the US were able to carry on daily life more or less normally, rationing aside.
But people didn’t carry on normally. The era was marked by radical societal change. People on the homefront changed the food they ate, the products they used, the style of clothing they wore. Women went to work in factories, and those factories retooled to contribute to the wartime effort. Construction changed forever, as did agriculture and the media. People put off vacations and luxuries (indefinitely). Life was difficult, but they did it together.

As they say, “live together, die alone,“ right?

Incomudro

But people didn’t carry on normally. The era was marked by radical societal change. People on the homefront changed the food they ate, the products they used, the style of clothing they wore. Women went to work in factories, and those factories retooled to contribute to the wartime effort. Construction changed forever, as did agriculture and the media. People put off vacations and luxuries (indefinitely). Life was difficult, but they did it together.

As they say, “live together, die alone,“ right?

They went out, didn't they?
Worked in factories is work.
People worked for a goal.
They didn't hide in their homes, venture out for provisions and lock themselves inside again.

Phil12

Social distancing is like a dream come true for many of us.

Yesterday one of the toilets in my house broke. The toilet fill valve was leaking and wasting water. Normally that would mean a trip to the hardware store to purchase a seal for the valve or a new valve (depending upon which needed replacement). But in the middle of the social distancing COVID-19 crisis, I implemented a new plan of attack.

I turned off the water to the toilet and notified all household members that the toilet valve could only be turned on when needed to flush and refill the toilet. All other times the valve was to remain off. I had years ago replaced all my household water supply lines with stainless steel ball valves so that the valves could be turned on and off repeatedly without the fear of any leaks. But, of course, that was just a temporary measure.

To fix the problem I needed a new valve seal and a new valve. We had a grocery order at Walmart that was scheduled to be picked up the next day. So I got online and checked the Walmart app to see if they had the toilet fill valve and/or valve seal in stock. They had them both in stock and ready to order. So I ordered four sets of toilet fill valves and valve seals for all the toilets in the house!

I picked up the order the next day at Walmart. They load the stuff in the trunk of your car and you drive away. I got home and unloaded all the items and grabbed the toilet fill valves and seals. I went straight to the leaky toilet. I installed a new seal in the old fill valve and quickly realized that the valve itself was bad. I then drained the toilet and sopped up all the water in the back of the tank with a sponge. I removed the old fill valve and installed a new one. Tada! The toilet now worked perfectly again. And I have the needed parts if any of my other toilets decide to act up.

Flugell

I'm talking about the US where we weren't under attack.
People were still able - and did - gather, dance, go out.
True, you in the USA were able to do so, whilst others weren’t as lucky but it’s a world pandemic just as it was a world war
Social distancing is like a dream come true for many of us.

Yesterday one of the toilets in my house broke. The toilet fill valve was leaking and wasting water. Normally that would mean a trip to the hardware store to purchase a seal for the valve or a new valve (depending upon which needed replacement). But in the middle of the social distancing COVID-19 crisis, I implemented a new plan of attack.

I turned off the water to the toilet and notified all household members that the toilet valve could only be turned on when needed to flush and refill the toilet. All other times the valve was to remain off. I had years ago replaced all my household water supply lines with stainless steel ball valves so that the valves could be turned on and off repeatedly without the fear of any leaks. But, of course, that was just a temporary measure.

To fix the problem I needed a new valve seal and a new valve. We had a grocery order at Walmart that was scheduled to be picked up the next day. So I got online and checked the Walmart app to see if they had the toilet fill valve and/or valve seal in stock. They had them both in stock and ready to order. So I ordered four sets of toilet fill valves and valve seals for all the toilets in the house!

I picked up the order the next day at Walmart. They load the stuff in the trunk of your car and you drive away. I got home and unloaded all the items and grabbed the toilet fill valves and seals. I went straight to the leaky toilet. I installed a new seal in the old fill valve and quickly realized that the valve itself was bad. I then drained the toilet and sopped up all the water in the back of the tank with a sponge. I removed the old fill valve and installed a new one. Tada! The toilet now worked perfectly again. And I have the needed parts if any of my other toilets decide to act up.

That is impressive work!
Imagine if it hadn’t worked -would that have led to social distancing due to sewage.....!

_caleb

They went out, didn't they?
Worked in factories is work.
People worked for a goal.
They didn't hide in their homes, venture out for provisions and lock themselves inside again.
They did indeed work. But it wasn’t back to normal, they changed their work (pretty radically) in order to work toward a common goal. Some of the changes they started continue to this day!

I don’t see staying at home as hiding. We need to be using this time to innovate and adapt to a new reality. Hence, learning to order groceries and supplies online, web meetings, social distancing, etc.

Disney Analyst

I can’t begin to understand how some may feel due to the stay at home orders. I am sure it’s frustrating. My province has closed non-essential business, playgrounds, etc. Like everyone else. But we don’t have stay at home orders. Most wear masks, people go on walks and hikes. It’s really not that bad, just staying with our household and still getting out when we can.

I will say the grocery store made me grumpy yesterday. They installed directional arrows, which no one but me was following. I was looking at cleaning supplies and these two guys came right up beside me. I wish some people would grow a brain.

Timmay

Essentially sums up

Aren't we doing that now?
Besides, during WW2 - civilians in the US were able to carry on daily life more or less normally, rationing aside.
As they were in England as well. When an all clear was given after an air raid, theaters, shops and restaurants were all full. And everybody was working.
It’s not an equal comparison in even the slightest bit.

Timmay

The comparison isn’t about going out, but about willingness and ability to change for the common good.
History is full of examples of willingness and ability to change. I’m not disagreeing with that. I don’t want to start a history lesson, but this is different though...very very different. It’s difficult to compare to anything else.

PurpleMan

In the Parks
No
Let's face it, no one really knows when the parks are going to reopen. I've heard rumors of them opening up in May/June and other rumors saying next year.

Disney Analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom