Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

Most of the businesses highly impacted won’t be particularly successful at limited capacity. Almost all of the stuff listed above. That’s why opening everything up immediately and letting the virus rip is a terrible idea for the economy. Opening slowly and using testing and tracing to stop hot spots from growing and spreading is the best idea to get the general public comfortable with resuming normal activity. If people don‘t feel safe they aren’t going to spend. In the long run a little slower start could go a long way towards a healthy economy.

You open this here, see how that goes...
Open that there, see how that goes...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
At the end of the day, that seems to be the purpose of the three phased approach. But if we cannot accept the risk that comes with that, we will get nowhere.
The vast majority of people desperately want this to work. So far with only a few exceptions the government seems to be embracing it too.
You open this here, see how that goes...
Open that there, see how that goes...
Exactly. If the plan is followed through the best case is everything goes well and we are eventually fully “open for business“.

Communicora

Premium Member
The impatient people are the loudest, but most Americans support distancing.

Even in Florida.

Of course everyone would like for us to be in a place where we can dine at restaurants, go to shows and travel as we'd like, but most people realize that resuming these activities right now doesn't make sense in the long run.

Jrb1979

I trust surveys about as much as I trust models right now - 0%. Surveys are the worst with biased questions leading to the answers and results they want. Again, Stats 101.

Want to know how people really feel? Go outside and observe. Where I live in north metro Atlanta there are a LOT of people not social distancing. I see it on Facebook posts, I see it in stores, I see it in parks and community play areas.
Its why I think we have just started with this virus. Too many people not willing to follow physical distancing. Its not hard to do.

Communicora

Premium Member
I trust surveys about as much as I trust models right now - 0%. Surveys are the worst with biased questions leading to the answers and results they want. Again, Stats 101.

Want to know how people really feel? Go outside and observe. Where I live in north metro Atlanta there are a LOT of people not social distancing. I see it on Facebook posts, I see it in stores, I see it in parks and community play areas.
I guess I will take your anecdote over a survey then. :rolleyes:

Obviously some people are not following guidelines, but most people are.

I'm getting a bit weary of the whining about it to be honest. Especially when the open everything now crowd also loudly proclaims they won't wear a mask or do basically anything to mitigate the situation.

Virtually everyone wants this to be over. It is hard to put up with the people that are making the situation worse.

lilypgirl

My gym contact has told me gyms who are attending the rescheduled Summit competition can start registering this week. Again take it for what it is worth. When you register it's for a Disney package hotel and tickets if you are choosing to stay on Disney property not just the competition.

robhedin

I guess I will take your anecdote over a survey then. :rolleyes:

Obviously some people are not following guidelines, but most people are.

I'm getting a bit weary of the whining about it to be honest. Especially when the open everything now crowd also loudly proclaims they won't wear a mask or do basically anything to mitigate the situation.

Virtually everyone wants this to be over. It is hard to put up with the people that are making the situation worse.
You're kind of both right -- I run survey's / focus groups regularly (well, at least before this started anyway) and they tend to bias towards what the person thinks you want to hear. People have a tendency to want to "go along" or "please" people, and surprisingly most people don't like to tell someone what they don't want to hear. They're useful to at least try to gauge something in broad strokes, but actual measurements are truly key.

Where I'm at (also in the north Atlanta Metro), I see a lot people social distancing and a lot of masks being worn. Not everyone is and I am seeing people getting tired of it or thinking that because the Government has said "let's try reopening" that the precautions we've had to live with aren't necessary. That's why messaging is key -- when we speak with one voice people listen, but when people hear different things from those in authority, they start to pick and choose.

Just take a look at the Cheer/Dance competitions-- the Gyms are hurting, so they really want to open and go to the competitions, so they're pushing and hoping they'll be able to. I'm sure Disney wants to let them -- if it makes sense.

Honestly, it's interesting to see the polar sides in this debate over the parks. Like most things, I suspect things are going to fall somewhere between the two sides -- opening later than some want, but earlier than others want; creating policies to show they're trying, but those policies will probably not go as far as some want, and too far for others. Regardless, WDW will open up soon... for some definition of "soon".

zengoth

Surveys age badly. Ask the same people today or in a week and see how opinions change. Even in my household answers to the same questions change on a daily basis.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Most people have the attention span of a gnat. They read stories, talk to friends and are easily influenced. I get the fact that everybody is cooped up, has cabin fever, wants to get outside and go to the beach, go to a restaurant, go back to work. The reality is - if that does happen - and we're out of the woods - Great! Everybody will start saying how this was all an overreaction. But if it's done too soon. We're going to have a bigger problem than we do now.

Imagine WDW opens, all is good - then one Tuesday in August someone calls the front desk at the Poly and says "I'm not feelin' so well, I got a fever and I'm having trouble breathing". 15 minutes later the front desk at Beach Club gets a similar phone call. Before you know it - Internet sites all over start running with the headline "COVID cluster at WDW" - How's that going to be for business? Not just Disney's.

I don't pretend to know when the right time to open is - I'd just hope that everyone fully thinks it through - and not make decisions because of pressure (by the media, shareholders, sages, and the like).

robhedin

My gym contact has told me gyms who are attending the rescheduled Summit competition can start registering this week. Again take it for what it is worth. When you register it's for a Disney package hotel and tickets if you are choosing to stay on Disney property not just the competition.
This isn't surprising since you can Disney is allowing you to book stays starting June 1st. Whether or not that's going to change is the question. I'm sure they want to be open by 1 June and I'm sure they could open by then in terms of recalling staff, training, and prepping things. Whether the government allows it and whether the risk mitigation analysis says it's safe enough to reopen by then is what we're all waiting with bated breath to find out.

Then again, they've been extending the dates the parks are closed every week so far so I suspect we should know in a week or so if they're going to push the June 1 date again.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Through the regular WDW website you can book a room starting June 1. I do wonder what will happen if they go with the plan discussed in the other thread and only open MK and the monorail resorts. Will people with reservations elsewhere get first priority to transfer to the open resorts or will they just cancel the reservations and it will be first come first serve.

_caleb

I know but the point is that we cannot live with social distancing, why? because you cannot control people beinig 6ft away from you, if you take a train, airplane, subway, etc and during peak hours it will be impossible! that's only an example but analyse your daily activites and you will be surprised on how much social distancing will make life impossible to live.
Control is only one possible way of changing people’s behavior.

lilypgirl

Through the regular WDW website you can book a room starting June 1. I do wonder what will happen if they go with the plan discussed in the other thread and only open MK and the monorail resorts. Will people with reservations elsewhere get first priority to transfer to the open resorts or will they just cancel the reservations and it will be first come first serve.

I wonder as well. I am wondering if the post you talked about earlier from another board is true.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder as well. I am wondering if the post you talked about earlier from another board is true.
It was from the other thread here. Here’s the post:
I now have multiple corroborating sources that have informed me of some specific things.

1) There is a worst-case scenario plan for WDW that is either developed or under development which prioritizes maintenance for the remainder of 2020 if the parks and resort are unable to reopen. This would see certain areas of the resort under much less upkeep in order to limit costs. This might also see many of the roads closed at WDW to public access.
2) Disney is currently in talks with the NBA to resume the NBA season / postseason with the players finishing all games at the ESPN complex. Details are being negotiated, and could fall through, but players would likely stay at Caribbean Beach Resort with Cayman, Sea Breeze, and Victory Way closed except to NBA and Disney vehicles. The aim would be to restart the NBA in late May to early June. Again, this could fall through, but it is being worked on and I believe some details have already begun to leak.
3) DeSantis has been in communication recently with Disney, Universal, IAAPA, etc, and is keen on getting the parks up and running as soon as safely possible. This is a marked departure from the approach the California government is taking. While Disneyland may remain closed for a long time, there is actually optimism that WDW may be able to reopen during the summer with intense restrictions and limitations.
4) The "Secure Circuit" protocol is still the preferred plan for reopening. Secure Circuit does the following:
  • Magic Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no theaters, no parades, no castle shows, no fireworks and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Magic Kingdom resorts reopen with strict distancing guidelines in place.
  • Monorails would not operate.
  • Ferries and boat transportation would operate with distancing in place.
  • Health checks would be introduced at every security checkpoint. This would include temperature checks and Q&A (including locations you have traveled to in the past 14 days).
  • Guests will have to sign additional legal forms clearing Disney of liability for potential exposure to COVID-19.
  • EPCOT will remain closed if other parks are able to reopen prior to September.
  • Hollywood Studios reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no fireworks, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Animal Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no Rivers of Light, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit. Maharajah Jungle Trek would remain closed, and no close encounters with any animals at any place in the park will be permitted. Details about Animal Kingdom are still being developed.
  • Transportation guidelines are still being developed.
  • Dining guidelines are still being developed.
  • No character meet and greets.
  • No character dining.
  • Water parks will not reopen while Secure Circuit is in place.
  • DVC details are still being developed.
  • Sanitation stations will be available throughout the parks, as well as directions on the ground to keep guests moving in proper directions for limited pedestrian crossing.
  • It is likely, though not officially determined, that masks will be a requirement for adults.
  • Magic Bands mandatory for all guests, fingerprints temporarily on hold.
  • Non-MK resorts are unlikely to reopen until Phase 2 begins (Secure Circuit is for Phase 1).
  • Disney is currently evaluating every single ride and queue to determine how and if it can operate with strict distancing guidelines. This includes determining how to move people through the queue in a safe manner even if virtual queue is in place for that particular ride. For example, even just moving through the queue of Pirates exposes guests to whatever guests passed through the queue 20 seconds prior.
  • Chapek ultimately makes the call on when to reopen and how, once DeSantis gives the green light... so while the protocols for Secure Circuit have been developed, there may be changes from the top.
  • What's on and what's off for future construction is now largely on how much and when Disney receives US government money, as well as the realities of the economy on the other side of this situation. Expect Disney to NOT announce cancellations of projects in 2020, but also for some projects to simply sit with no announcement. Disney is likely to be very bearish in 2020 until we get Q4 economic data.
Best regards - hope everyone is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom