Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

I disagree, but that is OK. I highly respect your input on these forums, but I know we don't always agree on all topics.

I think social distancing will be a distant memory before the end of this calendar year. It's not practical in everyday life - in the workplace, entertainment, eating out, etc. And by practical I mean both economically (many business cannot survive with limited capacity) and socially. We are social creatures and maintaining distance is so uncomfortable for many. I think we will revert to wanting to be close to others.
Disney and other entertainment venues rely on large crowds, not separated by distance, to operate profitably. And, social distancing on transportation just cannot work. Mass transit would not be "mass" with social distancing. Airlines would go out of business if they had to operate with fewer seats.

While the world may re-open with social distancing, I think that will be temporary.

I'm hoping that an understanding and respect of social distancing of strangers sticks around for a while.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I could see something like Senior Only hours at stores continuing for some time.

It's an easy way to practice social distancing that most are willing to accommodate.
That should continue until there’s a vaccine or this thing burns itself out naturally. I would also hope that once ”the rest of us” go back to buying groceries and other stuff in physical stores that seniors and high risk individuals could better utilize places like Amazon and grocery delivery services and avoid the physical stores altogether. Right now the whole delivery thing is not working very well (at least where I live), but as demand drops it should get better.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Businesses can still re-open while social distancing is practiced.
But can they really open properly? Can a restaurant open at 100% capacity with social distancing in place? Well, that may depend on what type of social distancing we are taking about. If they can only open at 50% capacity, is that going to be sustainable long term? What about travel and social distancing? How is this going to affect the hotel industry and those jobs? There is so much to consider when keeping some type of social distancing policies in place months down the road (outside of keeping the vulnerable safe). I’m not against it necessarily. It will depend on what the policies look like.

ImperfectPixie

That should continue until there’s a vaccine or this thing burns itself out naturally. I would also hope that once ”the rest of us” go back to buying groceries and other stuff in physical stores that seniors and high risk individuals could better utilize places like Amazon and grocery delivery services and avoid the physical stores altogether. Right now the whole delivery thing is not working very well (at least where I live), but as demand drops it should get better.
Unfortunately, there are many who fall into the senior category that simply aren't technologically savvy enough to make use of online resources. (For example, it took 10 minutes to talk my MIL through finding the shopping cart icon on Amazon.)

Animaniac93-98

I haven't been grocery shopping online, but I've heard stories about major delays in getting food.

Canada Post is as busy now as they would be over the holiday season.

We're in the extreme of everyone shopping for everything online, but as things open up that should get better as you say.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Still prefer the physical distancing phrase over the social distancing one. It sounds like.. stay back please. One word changes the meaning a lot I think.
I think the nuance is social distancing also includes a ban on any large gatherings even if you stay 6 feet apart. Physical distancing is exclusively the 6 foot rule. Once we hit phase 3 large group gatherings are allowed but they are recommending physical distancing for high risk people and if its not possible to physical distance to avoid the place.

Jrb1979

But can they really open properly? Can a restaurant open at 100% capacity with social distancing in place? Well, that may depend on what type of social distancing we are taking about. If they can only open at 50% capacity, is that going to be sustainable long term? What about travel and social distancing? How is this going to affect the hotel industry and those jobs? There is so much to consider when keeping some type of social distancing policies in place months down the road (outside of keeping the vulnerable safe).
Things will have to change. Maybe air travel will have to learn to work with smaller capacity. People will figure it out.

ImperfectPixie

But can they really open properly? Can a restaurant open at 100% capacity with social distancing in place? Well, that may depend on what type of social distancing we are taking about. If they can only open at 50% capacity, is that going to be sustainable long term? What about travel and social distancing? How is this going to affect the hotel industry and those jobs? There is so much to consider when keeping some type of social distancing policies in place months down the road (outside of keeping the vulnerable safe).
There is. But I get the impression that the other poster is operating under the assumption that social distancing and forcing businesses to stay closed must go hand-in-hand. Economic pressures should have no bearing on wearing a face covering or maintaining 6' distance when possible.

eduardz

But can they really open properly? Can a restaurant open at 100% capacity with social distancing in place? Well, that may depend on what type of social distancing we are taking about. If they can only open at 50% capacity, is that going to be sustainable long term? What about travel and social distancing? How is this going to affect the hotel industry and those jobs? There is so much to consider when keeping some type of social distancing policies in place months down the road (outside of keeping the vulnerable safe). I’m not against it necessarily. It will depend on what the policies look like.

I agree, and this is only 1 simple example but what about flights, metro, subway, train, meetings, parties, celebrations, tour operators, hotels, concerts, plays, parks, classrooms, hospitals, sports, banks, etc!'
These examples cannot operate at a 50% capacity!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
There is. But I get the impression that the other poster is operating under the assumption that social distancing and forcing businesses to stay closed must go hand-in-hand. Economic pressures should have no bearing on wearing a face covering or maintaining 6' distance when possible.

thats fine. And yes, when people say “social distancing” that can mean one thing to you and something entirely different to another.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unfortunately, there are many who fall into the senior category that simply aren't technologically savvy enough to make use of online resources. (For example, it took 10 minutes to talk my MIL through finding the shopping cart icon on Amazon.)
I haven't been grocery shopping online, but I've heard stories about major delays in getting food.

Canada Post is as busy now as they would be over the holiday season.

We're in the extreme of everyone shopping for everything online, but as things open up that should get better as you say.
Online grocery for pickup or delivery has been a disaster near me. Just too much demand. I would hope it will get better if the demand drops. It will be a while before I consider it again.

I agree it won’t work for everyone and I‘ve found it’s a little more expensive so seniors on a fixed budget may prefer a physical store where they can use coupons and take advantage of sales. That’s why they should keep the senior hours too.

DisneyDebRob

No,50% will not be sustainable long term. Either will opening up to early and not drawing the people in because they are still worried about sitting down in a restaurant. That’s why we need to support these places now as much as we can with online and delivery. I’m trying to give my favorite places as much business as if everything was ok. I’m also finding out that I’m enjoying the food I love so much, sitting in pajamas watching a favorite show more then sitting in a restaurant. This whole thing may change my overall habits in the long run.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
No,50% will not be sustainable long term. Either will opening up to early and not drawing the people in because they are still worried about sitting down in a restaurant. That’s why we need to support these places now as much as we can with online and delivery. I’m trying to give my favorite places as much business as if everything was ok. I’m also finding out that I’m enjoying the food I love so much, sitting in pajamas watching a favorite show more then sitting in a restaurant. This whole thing may change my overall habits in the long run.

for the 30 million Americans that lost their job either permanently or temporarily, it is hard for many of them to support these businesses right now. It is just a crappy situation all around. For a majority, it is not just an inconvenience that can be easily overcome whether the virus has impacted them directly or not.

DisneyDebRob

for the 30 million Americans that lost their job either permanently or temporarily, it is hard for many of them to support these businesses right now. It is just a crappy situation all around. For a majority, it is not just an inconvenience that can be easily overcome whether the virus has impacted them directly or not.
I hear you. Your talking to a family that has lost a job here. We do what we can. Things always get better.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree, and this is only 1 simple example but what about flights, metro, subway, train, meetings, parties, celebrations, tour operators, hotels, concerts, plays, parks, classrooms, hospitals, sports, banks, etc!'
These examples cannot operate at a 50% capacity!
Most of the businesses highly impacted won’t be particularly successful at limited capacity. Almost all of the stuff listed above. That’s why opening everything up immediately and letting the virus rip is a terrible idea for the economy. Opening slowly and using testing and tracing to stop hot spots from growing and spreading is the best idea to get the general public comfortable with resuming normal activity. If people don‘t feel safe they aren’t going to spend. In the long run a little slower start could go a long way towards a healthy economy.

Incomudro

That’s not really how America works, for better or for worse. Xenophobic policies can last for a year or more, but there is no appetite to limit PROUD AMERICANS (!) for much longer. That’s just our political system. Even in areas more supportive of social distancing, folks are demanding an end date. Without one, they are choosing for themselves.

The scientists who are proponents for social distancing here will be fired by the start of summer and replaced with folks who drink the Kool-Aid. I won’t go further as it gets political. Just trying to provide context for those across the pond.

Humans have a breaking point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom