Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Then you have to wear glasses too, and disinfect yourself everytime you come to your house, work and public places.
Joe General Public needs to wear a face mask (even a bandanna will do) where a 6' distance is not possible. If two people are talking and one is infected, but they're both wearing face coverings, the chances of one infecting the other is reduced to something like 2%.

ImperfectPixie

yep. If you focus on the general inconveniences of social distancing, it is not a big deal. But there are greater implications for many for long term social distancing.
I realize that. I have two sons who are autistic...getting used to going to school again in the fall is going to be extraordinarily difficult for them because of the demands school places on them (lots of noise, distractions, etc.)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly but Phase 3 cannot last too much, it is impossible for the economy and people to work under social distancing, I think it will last at maximum 2 months, they cannot wait till we get a vaccine because there will may not have a vaccine!

I think all the people are in panic because we don't have anything to do in our houses and start to develop some kind of
delusion of persecution and since we heard news that not even the heat can kill it, or that even the people cured from COVID can get it again, and that it attack now babies, kids and teenagers, and many other exceptions, that makes COVID look like a virus that cannot be controled or killed with any mean! That's not true! A lot of the news are fake or speculations!
I would love it if the phases all go quickly and we are all back to something close to normal in a few months. I think that’s the beat case scenario. If we rush things and it causes a 2nd wave (or a 2nd wave worse than it would have been) that will have a bigger negative impact on the economy than the gains from opening things a few weeks or a month earlier. I think it’s delusional to think the economy won’t suffer greatly if there is a strong nationwide second wave even if the governments decide to do nothing and do not re-implement shut downs. Most restaurants, resorts, airlines, movie theaters and theme parks can’t remain profitable if a large portion of their customers are self isolating. I think that’s where there’s a disconnect in a lot of the thinking on re-opening quickly.

It’s not just the government imposed stay at home orders that are killing the economy, a lot of the damage would be done anyway. You can’t force people to go out and spend money and depending on which metrics you use for high risk almost half the population could qualify. Many people would have self isolated anyway. If you take a look at Sweden they had very little government imposed restrictions but their economy still flat lined. They ended up with a massive government stimulus anyway. In a long winded way what I’m trying to say is that there is no magic switch for the economy. Opening everything up immediately is not going to do any long term economic good.

Animaniac93-98

yep. If you focus on the general inconveniences of social distancing, it is not a big deal. But there are greater implications for many for long term social distancing.

IMO the damage has already been done, and the recovery will be difficult no matter what happens.

Even if everything reopened today, many would be too scared to go to xyz.

Think about how long after 9/11 people were scared to get on a plane.

eduardz

So let's say government in July says social disntacing is finished due to economic pressure or whatever reason, for the people that think it is too soon, will you still do social distancing?

ImperfectPixie

So let's say government in July says social disntacing is finished due to economic pressure or whatever reason, for the people that think it is too soon, will you still do social distancing?
Absolutely.

ETA: Social distancing only includes face masks and the 6' distance from others, and no large gatherings. People are confusing the closure of non-essential businesses with social distancing - they are two different things.

eduardz

Absolutely.

ETA: Social distancing only includes face masks and the 6' distance from others, and no large gatherings. People are confusing the closure of non-essential businesses with social distancing - they are two different things.
For how long will you keep social distancing??

Remember most non-essential businesses depend on social distancing by the way!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In phase 3 here is the government recommendation:

VULNERABLE INDIVIDUALS can resume public interactions, but should practice physical distancing, minimizing exposure to social settings where distancing may not be practical, unless precautionary measures are observed.
LOW-RISK POPULATIONS should consider minimizing time spent in crowded environments.

It‘s obviously a personal choice but a large number of people will likely continue social distancing.

ImperfectPixie

For how long will you keep social distancing??

Remember most non-essential businesses depend on social distancing by the way!
Right now, that's difficult to say because we still don't have very much data. My state is smack in the middle of our peak, by the way...we're 3rd in testing volume in the country, but we've only tested 227,000 out of nearly 7,000,000 people.

Animaniac93-98

I will keep my physical distance for the foreseeable future. It really isn't hard to do. Social distancing doesn't mean stay at home.

Ordering stuff online

Ordering take-out vs dining in

Limiting the # of times you grocery shop

Not visiting stores/gyms etc during peak hours

Lots of ways to continue practice social distancing without wearing PPE or never going outside.

DisneyDebRob

In phase 3 here is the government recommendation:

VULNERABLE INDIVIDUALS can resume public interactions, but should practice physical distancing, minimizing exposure to social settings where distancing may not be practical, unless precautionary measures are observed.
LOW-RISK POPULATIONS should consider minimizing time spent in crowded environments.

It‘s obviously a personal choice but a large number of people will likely continue social distancing.
Still prefer the physical distancing phrase over the social distancing one. It sounds like.. stay back please. One word changes the meaning a lot I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom