Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder if college students will want to pay to be on campus if they were masks, can’t go to sports game, can’t party, tons of other things affected due to social distancing. I know I won’t be returning on campus this fall...
I can’t see college students not partying. I also can’t picture them wearing masks to do it. The Universities could encourage masks on campuses but I don’t see them being required. Sports are likely not going to happen this year or at least not with fans in the stands. That’s going to be a big change on most campuses. Hopefully we don‘t have a second wave start with flu season or it may go right back to online only :(

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sounds promising. It will be interesting to see how it works out there and in Vegas if the strip opens back up. Should be a good test to see if/when Disney can open up.

Polynesia

Sounds promising. It will be interesting to see how it works out there and in Vegas if the strip opens back up. Should be a good test to see if/when Disney can open up.
I think so, too. I’d be a bit anxious though with this happening so early in May. The Orange County mayor wants to see the area hotels up and running soon because hurricane season is starting. A variety of businesses reopening will be a good test to see if there is a spike and how to contain it when there is. As others have mentioned, the lockdown was always meant to help medical resources and not a permanent solution. I know I’ll be cautious when going out, probably still wearing my mask in May. Hope this works well go TN.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is the absolute worst news for us who want nothing to do with sports. Not one sporting event interests me from Big Dance to Superbowl to Olympics to college tennis to NHL; so the closed sporting events will put the hurting on us who aren't into it.
Pro sports will likely be back by the fall...likely without fans in the stands but they will be on TV. I was just talking about college sports. Besides the big guns like football and March madness there are a lot of smaller sports that still draw large crowds on campuses. Like wrestling in Iowa or a big crew event like the Dad Vail Regatta in Philly. Lots of fun stuff that colleges will lose out on. I also wonder how scholarships will work. Money raised by national televised sports is used to pay for scholarships for all sports. The richer Universities can dip into their billion dollar + endowments but not every school has that.

Jrb1979

Pro sports will likely be back by the fall...likely without fans in the stands but they will be on TV. I was just talking about college sports. Besides the big guns like football and March madness there are a lot of smaller sports that still draw large crowds on campuses. Like wrestling in Iowa or a big crew event like the Dad Vail Regatta in Philly. Lots of fun stuff that colleges will lose out on. I also wonder how scholarships will work. Money raised by national televised sports is used to pay for scholarships for all sports. The richer Universities can dip into their billion dollar + endowments but not every school has that.
It sucks for the college level. All I want is my hockey back. Right now would be the second week of NHL playoffs.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Georgia has been "open" for over 24 hours and *gasp* ...the streets are NOT on fire! I joke, I joke.

But seriously, it seems (at least from what I've seen), that people are actually using common sense and business owners are taking many precautions. Granted, only a handful of business decided to open, but "new normal" has to start somewhere. Next week should provide more data in regards to how well things are going.

It was ironic to see that many of the people who are against the state opening up decided to go out, group up and go to the governor's mansion to protest.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Polynesia

They’ve been having money problems for awhile. They’re in the process of restructuring their finance departments moving all those jobs to the U.K. Major layoffs (high paying management positions) took place end of October at their Florida location. Even running extremely lean I think it’s going to be harder for them than other theme parks to reopen. As the article stated they may not.

Incomudro

I can’t see college students not partying. I also can’t picture them wearing masks to do it. The Universities could encourage masks on campuses but I don’t see them being required. Sports are likely not going to happen this year or at least not with fans in the stands. That’s going to be a big change on most campuses. Hopefully we don‘t have a second wave start with flu season or it may go right back to online only :(

If I was in that age group - early 20's, and healthy as I was at that age (still am healthy) - and knowing how low the actual risk is to healthy people in that age group, I would definitely be hanging out with friends and partying.
I said it to my wife the other night.
We would have been having Corona parties.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If I was in that age group - early 20's, and healthy as I was at that age (still am healthy) - and knowing how low the actual risk is to healthy people in that age group, I would definitely be hanging out with friends and partying.
I said it to my wife the other night.
We would have been having Corona parties.
Don’t tell anyone...but I would have too;) I was invincible back then and also knew everything. The good old days :)

Incomudro

Local nurse talking about her experience. Very scary.

What's scary to me, is that you just don't know how it'll hit you.
My sister and brother in law (both about 45 years old) recently got over it.
He had little more than a fever that he muscled through.
She had bad fever for weeks, and it knocked the heck out of her for quite a while.No hospitalization though.

My wife as a Director of Nursing knows one man she worked with at a previous location who was 50 years of age, healthy as far as she knew who unfortunately caught covid19, and passed away in a matter of days - leaving a wife and young children behind.
My wife worked with another woman also around age 50 who is on a vent now and not likely to get off of it.

lilypgirl

I wouldn't count big NCAA sports out like football. Lots of money to be made there which supports lots of the women's and the smaller sports.

Incomudro

Don’t tell anyone...but I would have too;) I was invincible back then and also knew everything. The good old days :)

Exactly, I'm trying to be honest here.
Plus, in my early 20's I had an apartment with one of my best friends - so I wasn't living with older people I would have worried about directly infecting.
My father passed away when I was 18, and I only saw my mom about once a week.
I probably would have have just stayed away from my mother for longer intervals.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
They’ve been having money problems for awhile. They’re in the process of restructuring their finance departments moving all those jobs to the U.K. Major layoffs (high paying management positions) took place end of October at their Florida location. Even running extremely lean I think it’s going to be harder for them than other theme parks to reopen. As the article stated they may not.

I really like Legoland so I hope they make it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the park will be fine. The Canadian pension fund and Blackstone won‘t make out as well. Once they go chapter 11 or the international equivalent then they should emerge with a lower debt load and the ability to raise more capital for upkeep and expansion. They saw a dip from the fact that LEGO Movie 2 flopped and they built park expansions around it but they still have a good product and a place in the market. I’m more worried about Sea World.

Polynesia

They were bought by Lego last year hoping they do make it. The supposed plan was to invest some big money in to the Legoland resorts at a minimum since Merlin has been using Lego’s brand name paying them a royalty. Merlin is the second largest theme park company. Only Disney beats them. Hard to say if they’ll survive this.

Polynesia

I think the park will be fine. The Canadian pension fund and Blackstone won‘t make out as well. Once they go chapter 11 or the international equivalent then they should emerge with a lower debt load and the ability to raise more capital for upkeep and expansion. They saw a dip from the fact that LEGO Movie 2 flopped and they built park expansions around it but they still have a good product and a place in the market. I’m more worried about Sea World.
I’m more worried about Merlin. But I base that on personal experience. I’m glad one of us is optimistic😊

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wouldn't count big NCAA sports out like football. Lots of money to be made there which supports lots of the women's and the smaller sports.
Not counting it completely out but it’s not looking good. There’s a lot of time still so maybe things get better. Look how much changed in the last few months. I did see a plan talked about where they would have some regional college football games even if the whole NCAA isn’t open. Basically if schools want to host football they will match up with other schools who also do. Won’t be the same as a regular season but could work better than nothing given the circumstances. Here’s an article talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom