Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

Science studies are now showing UV light, heat and humidty shorten the half life on the Virus much more than the lower they already thought it had.
Just some encouraging news there. Even doing more business outdoors can help with businesses reopening in phases. Sunshine and humidity make it much harder to spread and catch according to most recent studies going around. Legit studies. Too tired to link. Google and look for yourself. Obviously not tremendous news, but something we can do something with. And Florida! Great news. ha.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
We all wish things would go back to the way they were before all of this started. I know I do. Many of us are trying to maintain a positive attitude and stay resilient. The hardest part, for me at least, is that there's no defined timeline, nobody seems to know when exactly this situation will end.

I can see some posters in this and other threads getting more and more frustrated with each passing day. Lately, I've been having days when it's getting harder for me to feel hopeful. I hope it won't be much longer before we get more answers and some good news.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

We all wish things would go back to the way they were before all of this started. I know I do. Many of us are trying to maintain a positive attitude and stay resilient. The hardest part, for me at least, is that there's no defined timeline, nobody seems to know when exactly this situation will end.

I can see some posters in this and other threads getting more and more frustrated with each passing day. Lately, I've been having days when it's getting harder to feel hopeful. I hope it won't be much longer before we get more answers and some good news. 😌
I'm getting more hopeful as next week they are going to release the guidelines on when they are reopening the economy here in Ontario Canada. I'm wasn't expecting any theme park to open this season so it doesn't bother me so much. I'm just glad my Cedar Point pass is extended to include next season.

Jrb1979

Cedar Fair is one of the companies that hasn't downright canceled their entire season, and from my understanding there's been public reports released showing them stock-buying cleaning supplies and mask. Very hopeful that means they're planning on opening some of their parks. (they can at the very least do something with Cedar Point because it has the beach/boardwalk on lake Erie with the hotel breakers and campground)
As good as that sounds I doubt I will be going. They have closed the border here in Canada for the time being. Doubt it's going to change anytime soon.

DisneyDreamerxyz

Cedar Fair is one of the companies that hasn't downright canceled their entire season, and from my understanding there's been public reports released showing them stock-buying cleaning supplies and mask. Very hopeful that means they're planning on opening some of their parks. (they can at the very least do something with Cedar Point because it has the beach/boardwalk on lake Erie with the hotel breakers and campground)
I lost my job at Disney and just got a job at Hotel Breakers and am being asked to start Mid-May for a June opening.

flynnibus

Premium Member
:geek:if you have antibodies to something, you were exposed to it and generated enough of an immune response that you have a large number of B cells that made plasma cells to produce antibodies.

Yes that's how antibodies work... but we don't know how much antibodies one needs to have any sort of immunity for this virus. We also don't know the thresholds to generate those antibodies being tested. The delay between exposure and the body's generation of these IGm/IGg antibodies is generalized, but still not well understood. All they know so far is 'yes, there are an amount over threshold X'. It's a test for PRESENCE, but it's not a test to confirm you were sick, nor that you are immune, nor that you 'recovered'. It's simply a sign you've been exposed enough that your body generated a response. Beyond that... it's of limited use right now. That's why it's the hot topic for TRACING - not necessarily past cases or immunity at this point.

hopemax

I can see some posters in this and other threads getting more and more frustrated with each passing day. Lately, I've been having days when it's getting harder to feel hopeful. I hope it won't be much longer before we get more answers and some good news. 😌
Except, there is an end date. In 2 years, one way or another, we will be through. In five years, from a health crisis perspective and everyday life, this will be a memory. Scientists want to know, for sure, about the immunity situation, so they try to caution the conservative view, but I haven't gotten a sense from them that this will be a virus that never ends. Economy will still be a work in progress. For me, that makes this less catastrophic than a war, where there really is no end date, and the obituaries just keep piling up, and where the fighting is happening... economy has no chance for recovery. I know people have experienced far worse than this. And yet here we are. For Americans, we have been extremely fortunate since the Vietnam War, that even our "hard times" have been mild compared to history, or other places in the world, including your own country which was devastated by Civil War for so long. Which is part of why it's so frustrating for me to see people talk about just letting people die. These are the people that survived those dark periods, only for our own country to say they were just going to die anyway, or they should lock themselves away from the world. Without a mention of how we actually do that, as if these people have the financial resources, or worrying about their mental health, or any of the things they are supposedly so worried about. To have this play out on our own soil, instead of "over there," somewhere else, we have to go even farther back in our history to have anything to compare it to.

Two years is a tough, tough pill to swallow. I get that. I get that people are grieving for everything we've lost. But when faced with a truly terrible situation, I've never found one where hoping it goes away, that it's not as bad as it seems, denying the reality of the situation, works. It only makes the eventuality that much more devastating. If we can get through this in less than two years, I will be jumping for joy. I don't know where this puts me on the glass debate. I am more comfortable with temporary realism that some call pessimism, with long term optimism, rather than temporary optimism followed by a soul-crushing reality.

techgeek

On the topic of rumors of various theme / amusement parks planning various opening dates... are there any parks on the planet that anyone is aware of operating right now? I’m confident in saying there’s not in North America or Europe, but I’m less sure about the rest of the world.

If so, it would be a great insight as to the conditions a park would both be allowed to open in, and the sort of operational adjustments actually being made.

To me, the progress made towards opening both Shanghai and Hong Kong DL don’t necessarily translate to the western parks, due to their reliance on the larger contract tracing and ‘health app’ requirements mandated by the Chinese government. We are clearly not going to have something like that here to lay the ‘judgement call’ of reopening upon. And even so, unless I missed it there isn’t a firm date for Shanghai yet, is there? It’s been ‘soon’ now for a month. Nothing is likely to happen here until there is some significant operational experience to draw from in China... or are the oversees parks basically planning on their own at the moment with no input from Disney directly?

hopemax

On the topic of rumors of various theme / amusement parks planning various opening dates... are there any parks on the planet that anyone is aware of operating right now? I’m confident in saying there’s not in North America or Europe, but I’m less sure about the rest of the world.

If so, it would be a great insight as to the conditions a park would both be allowed to open in, and the sort of operational adjustments actually being made.

To me, the progress made towards opening both Shanghai and Hong Kong DL don’t necessarily translate to the western parks, due to their reliance on the larger contract tracing and ‘health app’ requirements mandated by the Chinese government. We are clearly not going to have something like that here to lay the ‘judgement call’ of reopening upon. And even so, unless I missed it there isn’t a firm date for Shanghai yet, is there? It’s been ‘soon’ now for a month. Nothing is likely to happen here until there is some significant operational experience to draw from in China... or are the oversees parks basically planning on their own at the moment with no input from Disney directly?
My Dad was telling me that there is a chain of amusement parks in China that have reopened. Attractions Magazine had an article about it.

techgeek

My Dad was telling me that there is a chain of amusement parks in China that have reopened. Attractions Magazine had an article about it.

That’s a great article, thanks.

I can almost imagine Disney pulling off such operations and still managing to preserve some of the experience.

On the other hand, that does not look like it would translate to a fun day at someplace like Cedar Point or your local Six Flags. It’s going to be interesting to see how individual operators interpret some of this guidance.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Except, there is an end date. In 2 years, one way or another, we will be through. In five years, from a health crisis perspective and everyday life, this will be a memory. Scientists want to know, for sure, about the immunity situation, so they try to caution the conservative view, but I haven't gotten a sense from them that this will be a virus that never ends. Economy will still be a work in progress. For me, that makes this less catastrophic than a war, where there really is no end date, and the obituaries just keep piling up, and where the fighting is happening... economy has no chance for recovery. I know people have experienced far worse than this. And yet here we are. For Americans, we have been extremely fortunate since the Vietnam War, that even our "hard times" have been mild compared to history, or other places in the world, including your own country which was devastated by Civil War for so long. Which is part of why it's so frustrating for me to see people talk about just letting people die. These are the people that survived those dark periods, only for our own country to say they were just going to die anyway, or they should lock themselves away from the world. Without a mention of how we actually do that, as if these people have the financial resources, or worrying about their mental health, or any of the things they are supposedly so worried about. To have this play out on our own soil, instead of "over there," somewhere else, we have to go even farther back in our history to have anything to compare it to.

Two years is a tough, tough pill to swallow. I get that. I get that people are grieving for everything we've lost. But when faced with a truly terrible situation, I've never found one where hoping it goes away, that it's not as bad as it seems, denying the reality of the situation, works. It only makes the eventuality that much more devastating. If we can get through this in less than two years, I will be jumping for joy. I don't know where this puts me on the glass debate. I am more comfortable with temporary realism that some call pessimism, with long term optimism, rather than temporary optimism followed by a soul-crushing reality.
I agree with you, this situation can't last forever. The way I see it there's a possibility that we, as humanity, will have to live with this new health threat and adapt somehow, just like we have with so many other devastating illnesses. It's the lack of full knowledge about this virus, and the fact that you could get sick without doing anything necessarily wrong like simply hugging a loved one or doing things that are quite normal in everyday life, what's disturbing to me when I think about it.

You are right about the fact that many, if not all countries have had dark and very difficult times, goodness knows my country has, and still does. About the 2 years timeline that you mention, interestingly enough, our president said the same thing. Our guidelines have been very strict since the beginning of this crisis, aside from markets, supermarkets and pharmacies, everything else has been closed for weeks.

Today has been specially rough, I miss hugging my dad and other family members, I learned about many people who we know, not having any income and big families to support, we learned that our youngest active case is a 2 month old baby. Even just walking around our neighborhood, we noticed fear and sadness in the very few people we encountered.

Today, reality hit me specially hard. Tomorrow might be a day when I feel more centered. We all need to find balance within ourselves.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Science studies are now showing UV light, heat and humidty shorten the half life on the Virus much more than the lower they already thought it had.
Just some encouraging news there. Even doing more business outdoors can help with businesses reopening in phases. Sunshine and humidity make it much harder to spread and catch according to most recent studies going around. Legit studies. Too tired to link. Google and look for yourself. Obviously not tremendous news, but something we can do something with. And Florida! Great news. ha.

Great, all we need to do when Summer comes is to never go into indoor air conditioning!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Yodascousin

I would hope social distancing continues until a vaccine comes along but I can’t see it lasting that long especially with news from Europe that sports will soon resume. The German football league will continue from early may and in the uk government are meeting with each sport to tell them when they can start behind closed doors most think late may early June but how can these sports social distance?! Also true of the wrestling promotions in the states who are continuing to do shows. As soon as things start returning I fear that social distancing will start to fade

DisneyDebRob

If only Disney didn’t have any places to run into to get out of the heat , it would be great!

DisneyDebRob

Whatever governments do-- open businesses or not --ultimately it is my responsibility to take care of my own health. I will continue to do social distancing and wearing a mask and avoiding crowds until I see a distinct drop in cases
I agree. We are the final straw on what we think is acceptable to protect ourselves.
Problem is the next guy. We may try to social distance in a grocery store or wherever as the next person comes creeping up behind us. We can’t control them and what others will think is fine for them. So many of us will just limit our exposure out until we are feeling very safe.
That’s the reason many businesses don’t agree with opening quickly. They are afraid that people won’t feel safe and won’t go out shopping yet. Which in turn, they lose money. As one business owner said from Colorado,and it deserves to be posted again, said” it’s not the month or two of zero income we have now that will bankrupt and shut down businesses for good, it’s a loss of 20% every month for the next 6 months that will do that”. Once open, they are on their own and if the people don’t come because they don’t feel safe, oh well, won’t be anymore assistance from the government because they are open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom