Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabeBelle

It's really nice.
This is the way most of us should have been behaving all along.
You shouldn't be putting your items on the conveyor belt in the supermarket, while I'm still putting mine on and the belt is still moving. (This has happened to me a number of times.)
Your kid shouldn't be repeatedly bashing into me on line in a WDW queue.
Preach. Marie

TrojanUSC

I don't understand where your data is coming from. Yes it is true that over 20% of the random testing in New York City showed people had had the disease, and that maybe 12% had had it in other counties in the state where there had been substantial outbreaks, but elsewhere in New York state, less than 4% had had the disease.

Also NY came out with a statement yesterday saying NOT to rely on antibody tests as there’s a high possibility for false positives. Meaning we could still be in the dark.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Does it really matter? 70-90% of us will eventually get it.
It’s all about the pace. 70-90% may very well end up getting this or we may have a vaccine before that time. Even if the true infection rate over the last 6 weeks was 20X the reported cases nationwide that means 5% of the population has been infected so at the same pace it will take 18 months to get to 70%. Hopefully we have a vaccine by then.

DisneyDebRob

I should clarify my most recent comment...

They added a box to check on the first page of the application process that indicates whether your unemployment was caused by COVID-19. When you claim weekly benefits, on the page where they ask about your work search, there is wording instructing that keeping in touch with your boss and being available to return to work when called counts as fulfilling work search requirements if your unemployment was due to COVID-19. You select "yes", to indicate that you did perform work search activities by staying in touch with your employer and being available to return to work when called back (and enter such text in the "other" area)...as long as you select "3" as the number of days you performed those actions, you are fine. (I should stress that the process is FAR FROM CLEAR the first time you go through it, and it took reaching out to our town's FB group for me to talk to some people and figure out what to do.)
My sister in law applied for unemployment in Florida. She lives in Orlando. I swore I heard her say over the speaker phone last night that they require to receive benefits that you have to apply for a job 6 times a week? I hope someone from Florida can help me out. Sounds way excessive. Then again I was watching the draft and the tv was loud.. and actually wasn’t really listening as she spoke with my wife in the other room.

JohnD

That wasn’t mentioned but I wouldn’t be surprised. There are some pretty big issues they’re trying to resolve. Winning the lawsuit would be nice but the reality is people need to be paid now. Every briefing it’s brought up and the urgency is conveyed. We got stuck with an awful system several years ago and now the state is addressing it. With low unemployment previously it didn’t surface like it has now. It’s being fixed and we move forward.

[/
Check out this article from Tallahassee Democrat:

Florida's overwhelmed unemployment system taken down for weekend

ImperfectPixie

My sister in law applied for unemployment in Florida. She lives in Orlando. I swore I heard her say over the speaker phone last night that they require to receive benefits that you have to apply for a job 6 times a week? I hope someone from Florida can help me out. Sounds way excessive. Then again I was watching the draft and the tv was loud.. and actually wasn’t really listening as she spoke with my wife in the other room.
Yep...I'm sure it varies between states.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It is increasingly clear that AT LEAST 10x the reported number of patients have ALREADY RECOVERED AND HAVE ANTIBODIES.

thats not what the testing means. Being asymptotic or having antibodies does not mean recovered and/or immunity. It means you haven't gotten sick or maybe got sick and recovered. It means you've been exposed and had one of several outcomes.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Also on the unemployment situation in FL - there is still confusion regarding the work search requirements -

"The state notes it suspended the requirement to repeatedly check back in and continue to seek work during the pandemic in order to continue receiving benefits. However, FOX 13 viewers continue to send us screengrabs showing the state is still instructing applicants to adhere to those requirements.

Satter said the state currently does not have the ability to waive the requirements for the weekly $600 federal unemployment payments under the CARES Act.

The federal CARES Act requires states to distribute the payments based on existing state guidelines. Because the state had existing work-search requirements when the CARES Act was passed, the DeSantis administration has determined it has to keep the requirements in place, unless or until the federal government allows Florida to waive them. "

stupid interpretation

Tom P.

It’s all about the pace. 70-90% may very well end up getting this or we may have a vaccine before that time. Even if the true infection rate over the last 6 weeks was 20X the reported cases nationwide that means 5% of the population has been infected so at the same pace it will take 18 months to get to 70%. Hopefully we have a vaccine by then.
I wouldn't count on the pace staying the same. That pace has happened while the country has been in lockdown. As we start re-opening, I cant see how the pace doesn't increase significantly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wouldn't count on the pace staying the same. That pace has happened while the country has been in lockdown. As we start re-opening, I cant see how the pace doesn't increase significantly.
That’s the trick with opening up. If it increases too fast the hospitals are overrun and we’re back to square one of lockdown. I think we can afford a small increase in cases, but remember that non-essential surgeries plus other medical emergencies related to people coming out again will fill up a large portion of available hospital capacity. I think the hope is that even though things are opening up slowly people will still practice a lot more social distancing then what was happening prior to the stay at home orders so the rate of increase won‘t be extreme. Who knows if it works out that way. Some people seem to feel things opening up means things just go back to normal immediately. If that happens we might be in trouble.

Jrb1979

Is anyone else tired of so many people contacting them about all the online articles saying disney won’t open until next year and laying off employees? (even tho disney never said that and these furloughs were planned because they tried to keep paying them for as long as they could). *facepalm*
No more then the ones who think Disney is opening June 1st and will open as normal with no measures in place.

ImperfectPixie

Is anyone else tired of so many people contacting them about all the online articles saying disney won’t open until next year and laying off employees? (even tho disney never said that and these furloughs were planned because they tried to keep paying them for as long as they could). *facepalm*
We've prohibited articles speculating about when/how Disney will open in my Disney FB group...it was upsetting to the CMs who are in there...many of whom are my friends. The rule now is that any updates will be posted by admins/mods.

ImperfectPixie

DCBaker

Premium Member
Florida has surpassed 30k coronavirus cases and 1,000 deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 8.58.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 8.58.58 PM.png

The PDF that contains a lot more in-depth information produced by the FDOH can be found here -

The FDOH dashboard can be found here -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom