Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
This is why the whole social distancing thing is so confusing. So on one hand in a grocery store, at a beach, at a theme park or on a bus I need to either wear a mask or stay further than 6 feet apart from anyone but on the other hand I can get my hair and nails done, get a massage, have a waiter serve me at a table and join up with a large group of friends for cheerleading.

Freedom. (she said in jest)

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Be glad you don't live in Canada then. New Brunswick has decided that concerts and large gatherings won't be happening this year and physical distancing will be in place for the foreseeable future.

Oh, I meant that in jest. Eep, I’ll go back and edit.

ImperfectPixie

Maybe we are in some locations, which would then make it reasonable to relax social distancing?
There isn't enough data to make that assumption yet. For the record...social distancing is NOT part of the shut-downs. Social distancing only includes the 6-foot minimum distance rule (and masks, in my opinion).

We will never be at herd immunity if we avoid each other. Not that I’m pushing one way or another. And that was never the point of social distancing.
Social distancing won't stop the spread...it will just keep it at a rate we can handle. We will eventually reach a point of herd immunity...we just don't have enough data yet to predict how long it will take to get there.

MickeyLuv'r

I think in the case of SARS and MERS, the virus largely died out before a vaccine could be created. Money was there and quickly vanished.

I don't think that's going to be the case this time around with COVID-19.

Ugh, this untruth AGAIN!

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, NIAID, is just ONE agency that is tasks with vaccine research. (Dr. Fauci is the director of NIAID.) They are part of the NIH, and funding reports are easy to find online.

Look them up, and please before repeating this. It isn't true.

DisneyDoctor

Social distancing was implemented to "flatten the curve" (quotes used because that is how it was stated originally). If the curve is flattened, is it social distancing necessary? Life certainly cannot go on with an indefinite social distancing...
I’m only slightly joking when I say I don’t mind social distancing purely from a personal space point of view. It’s kinda nice not having people breathing down my back in lines at the grocery store etc.

hopemax

Social distancing was implemented to "flatten the curve" (quotes used because that is how it was stated originally). If the curve is flattened, is it social distancing necessary? Life certainly cannot go on with an indefinite social distancing...
Flatten the Curve was the most "sellable" hashtagy soundbytey, headline making, Facebook posting rallying cry. Behind all of that, for those who read beyond the headlines, was the concept of buying doctors and scientists time to secure supplies, ramp up testing and contract tracing ("be South Korea not Italy"), the development of treatment protocols, and simple understanding about what this virus is and does. Learning what does and doesn't work. We are still learning about the type of damage this virus does to the human body. First it was lungs, then heart, then kidneys, now it's blood clotting and increased stroke risk. Understanding these things, leads to better outcomes. Having tools in the toolbox, even if they aren't magic bullets, leads to better outcomes.

We've flattened the curve, we're still working on the rest.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
YES. Because we're not at herd immunity yet.
Maybe we are in some locations, which would then make it reasonable to relax social distancing?
Social distancing is the whole no group gatherings and 6 feet away or wear a mask in public thing. I think you are mistaking that with stay at home orders. When businesses first open up they are recommending some form of social distancing through the first 2 phases with a relaxing of most of that in phase 3. It just seems like in some cases there is a desire or intent to follow that and then in other cases it’s just going straight to phase 3. Very confusing.

Herd immunity can only be achieved through a vaccine or 40-60% of the population being infected. As far as I know even the anti-body tests are showing the potential of 10%+ of the population being infected but nowhere near 50%. I also think the 40-60% number could be wrong too if it turns out way more people are infected than originally thought. It may be closer to being as contagious as the measels which require close to 95% for herd immunity. We need a lot more and accurate testing to determine how many were infected but it’s more likely that herd immunity will be reached by a vaccine than infection.

ImperfectPixie

Social distancing is the whole no group gatherings and 6 feet away or wear a mask in public thing. I think you are mistaking that with stay at home orders. When businesses first open up they are recommending some form of social distancing through the first 2 phases with a relaxing of most of that in phase 3. It just seems like in some cases there is a desire or intent to follow that and then in other cases it’s just going straight to phase 3. Very confusing.

Herd immunity can only be achieved through a vaccine or 40-60% of the population being infected. As far as I know even the anti-body tests are showing the potential of 10%+ of the population being infected but nowhere near 50%. I also think the 40-60% number could be wrong too if it turns out way more people are infected than originally thought. It may be closer to being as contagious as the measels which require close to 95% for herd immunity. We need a lot more and accurate testing to determine how many were infected but it’s more likely that herd immunity will be reached by a vaccine than infection.
I'm not confusing them...I'm right there with ya.

MickeyLuv'r

but how do you do that at WDW? We all know WDW has more than its’ share of entitled ‘me first’ types, how do you keep someone from getting too close to you in a park? I’m told that at my former job one of the employees has taken to carrying a pool noodle around to keep people away from her - I’m envisioning Disney providing 6’ pool noodles for guests to use to delineate their social space.

This is a concern I have as well. I'm thinking of the many families that like to hold hands, while they walk three, or five, across.
I don't mean one parent holding a child's hand, I mean the adult and teen groups that like to talk while walking side by side.

Oh, one more challenge: even without international travel, if WDW/DL do have new rules (social distancing, masks, etc.), those rules would need to be communicated in multiple languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom