Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

This is a concern I have as well. I'm thinking of the many families that like to hold hands, while they walk three, or five, across.
I don't mean one parent holding a child's hand, I mean the adult and teen groups that like to talk while walking side by side.

Oh, one more challenge: even without international travel, if WDW/DL do have new rules (social distancing, masks, etc.), those rules would need to be communicated in multiple languages.
I would think a 50 foot sign outside the entrance with a big picture of a face with no mask on and a red line through it. The next has the face with a mask and a picture of Mickey giving a big thumbs up would work.
At least for the mask part.

Calmdownnow

May 7 works for me. But if you mean July 5, you would put it a day after Independence Day. If it must open in July, I advocate for one day earlier.
You do not want mega crowds turning up for fireworks on the first day of opening -- just as they shouldn't really have had a larger than normal crowd (caused by the advanced notice of closure) on closing night. Start with smaller crowds. Wait a month to see if there are any outbreaks linked to the parks and whether any social distancing measures are working. Check if a second wave of infection is appearing in Florida or other prime locations where customers live. Then consider opening to a broader population and bigger crowd.

ToTBellHop

It is increasingly clear that AT LEAST 10x the reported number of patients have ALREADY RECOVERED AND HAVE ANTIBODIES. Let that sink in. Estimates suggest the number with antibodies are 10x to 80x the reported case number.

Immunity may not last forever. But it lasts at least three months because they’ve been studying this for that long and not reported that people have lost antibody titer. So there is some period of protection.

To have antibodies, you contracted the disease at least 14 days ago. 14 days ago, there were 493,000 confirmed cases in America. But the most conservative estimates suggest at least 10x TODAY’s reported numbers have antibodies. That would be 9,000,000 Americans who had this two weeks or more ago and have recovered. 18x today’s reported number. This would suggest that at least 16,200,000 Americans have it now and will have antibodies in 2 weeks. And that’s pretty conservative based upon numbers from areas with reasonably widespread testing. Areas with less testing are seeing upwards of 80x the reported numbers with antibodies.

Point of this is herd immunity will take awhile nationwide but is not the impossibility suggested. Also, it can occur locally. An estimated 20% of New Yorkers have antibody. Again, they all had Covid-19 at least two weeks ago, so the number who will develop immunity is even higher. It is not unreasonable to imagine a New York with slowly-loosening restrictions that reaches herd immunity this year.

Travelers will need to be screened before boarding planes, obviously, but if that happens, they could be allowed at some point (most agree in the fall up here).

Similarly, a capacity-controlled and screened WDW crowd would hopefully allow acceptable levels of spread.

Polynesia

Gov De Santis update still provides no dates for reopening. Says it has to be done right with consultations with doctors and businesses. They’re watching the positivity numbers closely. The counties will have input in to the plans. More testing sites will be operating as business do reopen if their employees need testing. There is a lawsuit in regards to the computer system handling the unemployment claims. Florida vs the computer company. Thousands are working 24/7 to get claims processed and the software fixed. Nothing new really.
I find it reassuring that they want to get things moving but are being cautious putting safety first.

Calmdownnow

It is increasingly clear that AT LEAST 10x the reported number of patients have ALREADY RECOVERED AND HAVE ANTIBODIES. Let that sink in. Estimates suggest the number with antibodies are 10x to 80x the reported case number.
I don't understand where your data is coming from. Yes it is true that over 20% of the random testing in New York City showed people had had the disease, and that maybe 12% had had it in other counties in the state where there had been substantial outbreaks, but elsewhere in New York state, less than 4% had had the disease.

DisneyDebRob

You do not want mega crowds turning up for fireworks on the first day of opening -- just as they shouldn't really have had a larger than normal crowd (caused by the advanced notice of closure) on closing night. Start with smaller crowds. Wait a month to see if there are any outbreaks linked to the parks and whether any social distancing measures are working. Check if a second wave of infection is appearing in Florida or other prime locations where customers live. Then consider opening to a broader population and bigger crowd.
That’s in a nutshell, there has to be that 3-4 week waiting period before any new measures of opening up more. We need to see if what they put in place, not just at Disney but everywhere, is working. Just can’t go 2 weeks and everything looks fine, then reopen more and a wave hits.

Lilofan

Gov De Santis update still provides no dates for reopening. Says it has to be done right with consultations with doctors and businesses. They’re watching the positivity numbers closely. The counties will have input in to the plans. More testing sites will be operating as business do reopen if their employees need testing. There is a lawsuit in regards to the computer system handling the unemployment claims. Florida vs the computer company. Thousands are working 24/7 to get claims processed and the software fixed. Nothing new really.
I find it reassuring that they want to get things moving but are being cautious putting safety first.
The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that the unemployment system of FL will be down for 3 days starting Friday.

ToTBellHop

I don't understand where your data is coming from. Yes it is true that over 20% of the random testing in New York City showed people had had the disease, and that maybe 12% had had it in other counties in the state where there had been substantial outbreaks, but elsewhere in New York state, less than 4% had had the disease.
The average in the state is 13.9%. That would be 2.7 million. They’ve reported 270,000 cases. That’s at least 10x.

Polynesia

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that the unemployment system of FL will be down for 3 days starting Friday.
That wasn’t mentioned but I wouldn’t be surprised. There are some pretty big issues they’re trying to resolve. Winning the lawsuit would be nice but the reality is people need to be paid now. Every briefing it’s brought up and the urgency is conveyed. We got stuck with an awful system several years ago and now the state is addressing it. With low unemployment previously it didn’t surface like it has now. It’s being fixed and we move forward.

Calmdownnow

The average in the state is 13.9%. That would be 2.7 million. They’ve reported 270,000 cases. That’s at least 10x.
As I pointed out, the average is pretty meaningless when the world's biggest hot spot with more cases than many countries is running at more than 20%. The important figure, for many Americans living outside the big cities is the under 4% figure for the non-city parts of NY state suggesting that there are big chunks of the hinterland that have not been touched yet and so lack anti-bodies that they would need to develop a true herd immunity for the country.

DCBaker

Premium Member

Yes - it has been down this morning. This is the message it shows

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 5.58.54 PM.png

DCBaker

Premium Member
Also on the unemployment situation in FL - there is still confusion regarding the work search requirements -

"The state notes it suspended the requirement to repeatedly check back in and continue to seek work during the pandemic in order to continue receiving benefits. However, FOX 13 viewers continue to send us screengrabs showing the state is still instructing applicants to adhere to those requirements.

Satter said the state currently does not have the ability to waive the requirements for the weekly $600 federal unemployment payments under the CARES Act.

The federal CARES Act requires states to distribute the payments based on existing state guidelines. Because the state had existing work-search requirements when the CARES Act was passed, the DeSantis administration has determined it has to keep the requirements in place, unless or until the federal government allows Florida to waive them. "

JohnD

Party Pooper. I can’t think of a better day to re-open than “Independence” Day. Besides, the comment was half-jest aimed at an across-the-ponder.

ImperfectPixie

Also on the unemployment situation in FL - there is still confusion regarding the work search requirements -

"The state notes it suspended the requirement to repeatedly check back in and continue to seek work during the pandemic in order to continue receiving benefits. However, FOX 13 viewers continue to send us screengrabs showing the state is still instructing applicants to adhere to those requirements.

Satter said the state currently does not have the ability to waive the requirements for the weekly $600 federal unemployment payments under the CARES Act.

The federal CARES Act requires states to distribute the payments based on existing state guidelines. Because the state had existing work-search requirements when the CARES Act was passed, the DeSantis administration has determined it has to keep the requirements in place, unless or until the federal government allows Florida to waive them. "

MA successfully waived them for the COVID crisis...I don't understand why there's a problem for Florida.

JohnD

Yes - it has been down this morning. This is the message it shows

View attachment 465870

As an employee of the Florida Department of Management Services, I’ve been called upon to participate in a test of an overhaul of the system.

I also want to remind people NO system anticipated a shutdown of businesses due to a pandemic. Let’s hope Secretary Satter can right the ship soon.

Calmdownnow

Party Pooper. I can’t think of a better day to re-open than “Independence” Day. Besides, the comment was half-jest aimed at an across-the-ponder.
As an across the ponder, can I assure you that having lost a very large empire over the years, we are quite relaxed about U.S. independence.. But as part of contemplating the "new normal" I think Americans might have to re-think expectations about the nature of public celebrations on July 4th this year and maybe next year, just as Canadians will have to re-consider Calgary Stampede, French people re-think Bastille Day celebrations, and the Muslim world re-think breaking fast gathering in Ramadan.

Incomudro

I’m only slightly joking when I say I don’t mind social distancing purely from a personal space point of view. It’s kinda nice not having people breathing down my back in lines at the grocery store etc.

It's really nice.
This is the way most of us should have been behaving all along.
You shouldn't be putting your items on the conveyor belt in the supermarket, while I'm still putting mine on and the belt is still moving. (This has happened to me a number of times.)
Your kid shouldn't be repeatedly bashing into me on line in a WDW queue.

Jrb1979

As an across the ponder, can I assure you that having lost a very large empire over the years, we are quite relaxed about U.S. independence.. But as part of contemplating the "new normal" I think Americans might have to re-think expectations about the nature of public celebrations on July 4th this year and maybe next year, just as Canadians will have to re-consider Calgary Stampede, French people re-think Bastille Day celebrations, and the Muslim world re-think breaking fast gathering in Ramadan.
They have cancelled almost all fairs and festivals here in Canada. Our Canada Day fireworks will be virtual

ImperfectPixie

I should clarify my most recent comment...

They added a box to check on the first page of the application process that indicates whether your unemployment was caused by COVID-19. When you claim weekly benefits, on the page where they ask about your work search, there is wording instructing that keeping in touch with your boss and being available to return to work when called counts as fulfilling work search requirements if your unemployment was due to COVID-19. You select "yes", to indicate that you did perform work search activities by staying in touch with your employer and being available to return to work when called back (and enter such text in the "other" area)...as long as you select "3" as the number of days you performed those actions, you are fine. (I should stress that the process is FAR FROM CLEAR the first time you go through it, and it took reaching out to our town's FB group for me to talk to some people and figure out what to do.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom