Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
No - this is again confusing absolutes with 'truest'. Gravity is measured to be a constant number. But in the very same field, the location of a electron is understood to be uncertain... and we explain our understanding with the ideas of probabilities, not absolute measurements that are unwavering.

Things like Biology have the same blend of things that are precisely measured, and other things that are modeled because the systems in question are highly intertwined and not handled in isolation.

People were trying to say because our UNDERSTANDING of something evolves... somehow the Science we are observing is 'dynamic'. That is garbage.

In science, there is already and understood distinction between THEORY and accepted constructs. It's only the lay that seem to confuse the idea that THEORY is actually an explanation of an understanding, not in itself an absolute.

TLDR - because our UNDERSTANDING evolves does not mean the actual science itself is evolving.

If I've learned anything from all these discussions is that Werner Heisenberg's popularity is lower than it should be due to dislike of uncertainty!

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
As Kemp said, nobody is forcing businesses to open or forcing people to not shelter in place.

Grocery stores and large stores such as Target and Walmart have been open since the beginning of this. it's nearly impossible to keep everything completely sanitized in those type of stores when people are constantly touching things and putting them back. I see it each time I'm in the store. there are also far more people at any given time in a shopping store than would be in a restaurant.

A restaurant is a much more easily controlled environment. I have a friend that owns two restaurants in my area. they can keep tables 6 to 10 feet apart and completely wipe down and sanitize everything from tables, chairs, and even the door handles after each guest leaves. any condiments can be individual servings so no one will be touching salt or pepper shakers, ketchup bottles, etc.

how is that less safe than a place like a grocery store which is again, nearly impossible to keep anything sanitized? the only thing I have seen them keep clean are the shopping carts. The self-checkout lanes with touch screens are not wiped down after each customer nor are the bagging areas that people put their hands on to spin them around.
Yeah I've heard this one before. I have a friend who has the same mindset and wants me to go to lunch with him on Monday. Hard pass.

What you aren't capturing is that we aren't even at the peak of contractions and deaths yet, we aren't near the guidance from the WH and most importantly you think just because Target and Walmart are open (because they have groceries btw) that everything else should open? People will start to think that everything is fine now and go into their bad habits again. People need groceries, that is why they are open and yes there are risks with that. People don't need to Bowl or get their nails done. I'm curious how you think people will social distance when getting their hair cut/done?

Lilofan

what is the current rule for people coming to Florida from other states?
I think FL law enforcement were singling out drivers with NJ/NY license plates. At the end of March I saw on the news the traffic jam to enter FL from GA on I-95 was backed up for several miles during the daytime.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What was the date of the lockdown in the UK? I'm curious to compare that against the daily case and death data.
To be completely oversimplistic...

It appears (no expert) that the UK lockdown will last longer than the US and other countries and they had it flash earlier or nearly the same time.

That’s not great credibility to their early “we ain’t scared” policy that got reversed like a boomerang in flight.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As Kemp said, nobody is forcing businesses to open or forcing people to not shelter in place.

Grocery stores and large stores such as Target and Walmart have been open since the beginning of this. it's nearly impossible to keep everything completely sanitized in those type of stores when people are constantly touching things and putting them back. I see it each time I'm in the store.

A restaurant is a much more easily controlled environment. I have a friend that owns two restaurants in my area. they can keep tables 6 to 10 feet apart and completely wipe down and sanitize everything from tables, chairs, and even the door handles after each guest leaves. any condiments can be individual servings so no one will be touching salt or pepper shakers, ketchup bottles, etc.

how is that less safe than a place like a grocery store which is again, nearly impossible to keep anything sanitized? the only thing I have seen them keep clean are the shopping carts. The self-checkout lanes with touch screens are not wiped down after each customer nor are the bagging areas that people put their hands on to spin them around. and groceries and big box stores have far more people in them at any given time than any restaurant could hold.
It’s not that people are being “forced open”...it’s that the municipalities aren’t being allowed to force anything they see as a threat to close.

That is a fundamental difference when you’re formulating health policy.

DisneyDebRob

In fairness, though. Those articles are just saying (literally) that the models have come down therefore social distancing is working. We've talked ad nauseam about the models on here and how correlation isn't causation. The models made a lot of wrong assumptions and came down significantly even after social distancing/lockdown was in place.
We all read things differently for sure. I see social distancing, and the numbers come down. Most experts on this believe it to be true. In fairness to what you see, I get it but I’ll stick with what the experts say.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

This is a couple of days old.
On of the problems with daily reported numbers in the UK so far are they’re just hospital deaths. “Just” sounds so callous.

The numbers don’t yet fully include up to date care home and at home deaths.

The Mom

Premium Member
On of the problems with daily reported numbers in the UK so far are they’re just hospital deaths. “Just” sounds so callous.

The numbers don’t yet fully include up to date care home and at home deaths.

I agree. The numbers changed significantly in NYC when the numbers who died outside of hospitals were factored in. And when they started discovering bodies stored in nursing homes - because the local funeral homes have been overwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom